What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagin speaks at the National Conference of Mayors in Washington

From the Washington Post

It's hard not to like Nagin. I do think his concerns for the city are genuine, but some politcians have a hard time knowing when to speak and when to keep silent. This isn't to say that Nagin should be silent by any means. I just wish he'd be more careful when he speaks.

Rebuilding Efforts Not Fast Enough for the Crescent City

From the Washington Post...New Orleans residents are beginning to vent their ire at Washington. Is this mere deflection of anger which should properly be directed at local officials, or is there a deeper truth here? I believe the answer lies somewhere in between the two poles of opinion.

The French Quarter Returns to Something Like Normalcy, Maybe

An article in today's Washington Post describes the French Quarter's return to life. As noted in the article, just bloscks away, things are hardly normal. The spectre of Katrina disater tours still irritates me, though getting tourists to sign petitions for aid may just be a good idea. Someone has to sign them. Thoughts?

^Interesting article. I also still don't like the disaster tours, but some of the aspects of them are alright. The French Quarter has really become a place in New Orleans to go to get away from Katrina, you go there, and it seems like Katrina never even happened. But if you walk a few blocks up, your in complete devestation.

^That was one heck of a storm last night. It wasn't as bad here north of the lake, but flooding was a major problem. One positive thing, is that most of the houses that collapsed during the storm were un-occupied, so not many injuries occured.

^That was one heck of a storm last night. It wasn't as bad here north of the lake, but flooding was a major problem. One positive thing, is that most of the houses that collapsed during the storm were un-occupied, so not many injuries occured.

Yeah, I was driving from Metairie to Algiers in that deluge. I've never driven in anything like that in my life. then, while crossing the bridge at 15mph, the lights went out. Was a crazy drive home.

Archived