What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

Haha no I missed both last night. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both shows did a "chocalate city" story. :lol:

Haha yeah, John Stewart suggested that chocolate would not be a relaible building material as it tends to melt in the heat. He suggested brittle as a more viable option. :lol:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article, Tom.

From reading that, it seems that some of the students who haven't returned to New Orleans recently are somewhat misinformed. The city is not a ghost town during the day at all, 200,000 people are back in the city, and the number of people working in the city goes up every day. I actually walked around Xavier University on monday, and most of the businesses have opened back up in the area, the university itself looks much much better than it did when I walked around that area around Thanksgiving.

Though driving and walking around New Orleans now, you can really sense that the college town feel is coming back to the city, with very high nuumbers of students returning to Tulane, UNO, Southern, and Loyola Universit, and increasing numbers of students returning to Dillard and Xavier University's. :thumbsup:

An article from the Dallas Morning News illustrates the slow pace at which some restaurants are recovering. The "third place" idea is a noteworthy concept. Galatoire's has always been my favorite N.O. restaurant, hands down. I have not heard any reports on its new satellite in Baton Rouge, but I disapprove of its existence on principle. There can truly be only one Galatoire's.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2006_Jan_...1137778374.html

Interesting article, Tom.

Recent estimates say that around 35% of the restaurants in metro New Orleans have opened, up from around 20% about a week and a half ago.

Galatoire's

Big business: On a typical Friday, the eatery serves more than 300 people in the original downstairs dining room alone.

Galatoire's is definately one of my three favorite restaurants in the city, and from spening many friday night's there for dinner, I would say that way over 300 people are served in the downstairs dining room.

TRAILER CASH

If FEMA could distribute the fortune spent on trailers directly to those in need of housing, the recipients might find a much nicer place to live, and even have money left over for home repairs. But there's a catch: That's illegal

Article

Archived