What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose any talk of expanding the current system will have to wait?

It sure doesn't seem that way. Plans for expanding the streetcar system both inside and outside of the inner city area have popped up along with the LRT train plans. :D

I found these figures on Wikipedia.org.

The population of the city has been increased in almost every year. For instance, the population that I have always seen listed of New Orleans in 1990 is 496,000 in 2000 it was 484,674, and the estimate that I have seen listed for New Orleans in 2005 was around 462,000. But these figures have the 1990 population of New Orleans listed at 530,938, the 2000 population at 495,674, and the 2005 estimate listed at 496,197, an actual increase of population.

Here is the full list;

City of New Orleans

Population by year

1810- 17,242

1820- 27,176

1830- 46,082

1840- 102,193

1850- 116,375

1860- 168,675

1870- 191,418

1880- 216,090

1890- 242,039

1900- 287,104

1910- 339,075

1920- 387,219

1930- 458,762

1940- 494,537

1950- 570,445

1960- 627,525

1965- 702,108

1970- 640,471

1980- 580,515

1990- 530,938

2000- 495,674

2005- 496,197

Does anyone know where these updated figures came from?

Interesting figures Nate, I'm not sure where the updated figures come from. Although I have seen the Census Bureau adjust numbers before. That happened once up here in one of the northwest Arkansas cities I believe. Although they admitted a mistake and actually added some more people.

Well this article is somewhat misleading. There are many hispanics who are making great money in New Orleans and the surrounding cities. Though the hispanic people who came in after the city started to crack down on foriegn workers and replace them with locals, are facing the problem addressed in this article.

I would much rather have local workers doing these jobs, and that is starting to happen more and more. People in NOLA are paying more to have people from their area do work rather than pay less with illegal immigrants.

In many areas, it seems that hispanics roll in, find all kinds of work and willing people to pay them, and eventually end up living in that area. I know that this was the case for SW Arkansas. But that doesn't seem to be happening here. I see less and less of them in New Orleans, and they found almost no work on the northshore. It seems like people honestly don't want them in this area. I personally have nothing against hispanic people, but I would still much rather see the jobs they are seeking continue to go to locals.

Well this article is somewhat misleading. There are many hispanics who are making great money in New Orleans and the surrounding cities. Though the hispanic people who came in after the city started to crack down on foriegn workers and replace them with locals, are facing the problem addressed in this article.

I would much rather have local workers doing these jobs, and that is starting to happen more and more. People in NOLA are paying more to have people from their area do work rather than pay less with illegal immigrants.

In many areas, it seems that hispanics roll in, find all kinds of work and willing people to pay them, and eventually end up living in that area. I know that this was the case for SW Arkansas. But that doesn't seem to be happening here. I see less and less of them in New Orleans, and they found almost no work on the northshore. It seems like people honestly don't want them in this area. I personally have nothing against hispanic people, but I would still much rather see the jobs they are seeking continue to go to locals.

I guess I can see more of a difference too with unemployment rates. In my area they are ridiculously low so they seem much more needed to help fill jobs in northwest Arkansas.

I found these figures on Wikipedia.org.

The population of the city has been increased in almost every year. For instance, the population that I have always seen listed of New Orleans in 1990 is 496,000 in 2000 it was 484,674, and the estimate that I have seen listed for New Orleans in 2005 was around 462,000. But these figures have the 1990 population of New Orleans listed at 530,938, the 2000 population at 495,674, and the 2005 estimate listed at 496,197, an actual increase of population.

Well I may have my answer.

I have heard this for years, but now it seems to be true.

In New Orleans, there are people who make more money than is allowed by the city to live in the housing projects, but they still move in with their mother or father, because..well..I have no idea why. They don't live their legally, so the city doesn't have them listed as a resident. As a result the Housing Authority of New Orleans may have one or two people listed as living in an apartment in the housing projects, while there may be as many as ten people living there. Here is where the problem came in. The people working for the census were just scared to go into the housing projects themselves, knock on the doors, and take record of how many people were there, so they would just go with HANO's figures or make up their own figures and say that they personally went to the projects. And so for many years, I have heard that the population of the city of New Orleans could have been under-reported by 40K-50K people. And with these new figures that have been released by the census, it seemed that those estimates were correct.

Well I may have my answer.

I have heard this for years, but now it seems to be true.

In New Orleans, there are people who make more money than is allowed by the city to live in the housing projects, but they still move in with their mother or father, because..well..I have no idea why. They don't live their legally, so the city doesn't have them listed as a resident. As a result the Housing Authority of New Orleans may have one or two people listed as living in an apartment in the housing projects, while there may be as many as ten people living there. Here is where the problem came in. The people working for the census were just scared to go into the housing projects themselves, knock on the doors, and take record of how many people were there, so they would just go with HANO's figures or make up their own figures and say that they personally went to the projects. And so for many years, I have heard that the population of the city of New Orleans could have been under-reported by 40K-50K people. And with these new figures that have been released by the census, it seemed that those estimates were correct.

That's interesting. I always wondered about census workers going to less than desirable places and how they handled it.

It's horrible that all these problems have occured with the levee system. I just hope that they at least learn from this for the future levee system.

All of New Orleans agrees with you.

I still think that the city is going to get the money it needs for category 5 levees for the area. We have been guaranteed category 4 levees for the city, we just need to keep moving forward.

Good. Two extra months I can see. Eight extra monthas I cannot understand. This is much better. As for the Louisiana Recovery Corporation- it was an interesting idea, but I would like to see this sort of help extended to both states, not just Louisiana.

Archived