CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

12 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Why does McBee Station have such undesirable retail tenants?

Publix, Staples and Great Clips are all retail tenants that people like.  But the others are ones that attract maybe 5 people per day.

Why didn’t the owners lure more desirable tenants? Why didn’t the Cheesecake Factory come here, for example?  

I don't understand the question, because I don't think you're asking what you really mean. What is undesirable to you, does not make it undesirable for others (especially those that apparently keep a great many of these retailers open). National brands apparently get a check mark from you, which seems to be what you want.

If you remember, the majority of this development's storefronts sat empty for a long time. It's outside of what was then the commercial hub of downtown, and they had a hard time filling it. So, that probably played a part. However, I think any business that can pay rent, and generate commerce in a productive manner should be welcome. I'm sure the owner would rather have that lease in hand (and income), than hold out for a dream of a retailer to come charging in and take a spot. 

For the record, I don't want Cheesecake Factory downtown. I'd rather not have had Ruth's Chris open in the Embassy Suites, but that's their opportunity and right to go where they want, and I'll respect that. I'll just keep my business at Larkin's or other local places. 

Edited by GvilleSC

27 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

I don't know of any CF in a downtown area. They always seem to be attached to malls.

I've seen them quite often in "masterplanned" commercial "downtown" areas... similar to what Bridgeway Station will be in Mauldin.  Pretty much the same thing as an outdoor mall... but honestly whats the difference?

I like national chains downtown because national chains locate in places that generate enough traffic to sustain them, and they in turn generate traffic.  

So national chains downtown show that downtown is a desirable place to do business, and they attract traffic that helps local businesses as well.  The more anchors downtown, the better it is for all businesses generally.

Maybe McBee Station should have been built differently, to attract another anchor.  Instead of having numerous small spaces, maybe it should have had another large space for a third anchor.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Staples to close. Space available August 2023. Would love to see a small Target go here.

That space has been listed as available at least once before, a few years ago, but the store remained open.  

If it’s definitely closing, that’s terrible, as that store was my lifeline during the pandemic.

However, that shopping center has mostly low-traffic tenants; the only high-traffic stores there are Publix and Great Clips.  

The whole center perhaps could now be reworked to attract a second high-traffic anchor such as Target.  

Or maybe a Chick-fil-A?

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

That space has been listed as available at least once before, a few years ago, but the store remained open.  

If it’s definitely closing, that’s terrible, as that store was my lifeline during the pandemic.

However, that shopping center has mostly low-traffic tenants; the only high-traffic stores there are Publix and Great Clips.  

The whole center perhaps could now be reworked to attract a second high-traffic anchor such as Target.  

Or maybe a Chick-fil-A?

As a Chick Fil A employer for 10+ years (both in Greenville, Tampa, and Corporate Atlanta), that area will not work. You have them surrounded downtown (Laurens, Haywood, Cherrydale) and will only get foot traffic. Yeah, we have the ones thriving in NYC that are in the city but I don't think Greenville has the population with that. I can see a Target tho. I will give the example of the Boston Target that's next to Fenway Park in downtown. Which if I did hear correctly, that used to be a Staples also :tw_tounge_wink:

Edited by DirectorBob0209
changed Atlanta to Corporate Atlanta to know I worked at Headquarters and not a restaurant lol

14 hours ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

As a Chick Fil A employer for 10+ years (both in Greenville, Tampa, and Corporate Atlanta), that area will not work. You have them surrounded downtown (Laurens, Haywood, Cherrydale) and will only get foot traffic. Yeah, we have the ones thriving in NYC that are in the city but I don't think Greenville has the population with that. I can see a Target tho. I will give the example of the Boston Target that's next to Fenway Park in downtown. Which if I did hear correctly, that used to be a Staples also :tw_tounge_wink:

Thanks for your post.

You know more and better than I do about Chick-fil-A, so I’m not disagreeing or arguing, but for what it’s worth (in case helpful):

1. There was a Chick-fil-A planned for Augusta Road, but residents blocked it.  The same people who would have gone to it would go to one at McBee Station.  

2. There was a Chick-fil-A in the Daniel Building (although before time that CFAs started having freestanding locations).

I’d welcome a Target but I don’t see why Target would build a Staples-sized smaller store in Greenville.  There are plenty of sites for a larger store.

Maybe a Market by Macy’s?

In any event, I haven’t seen an official closing announcement for that Staples, although I might have just missed it.  I assume that the store simply hasn’t exercised an option to extend its lease so the landlord has started to market the space.  This has happened before.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

On 9/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Thanks for your post.

You know more and better than I do about Chick-fil-A, so I’m not disagreeing or arguing, but for what it’s worth (in case helpful):

1. There was a Chick-fil-A planned for Augusta Road, but residents blocked it.  The same people who would have gone to it would go to one at McBee Station.  

2. There was a Chick-fil-A in the Daniel Building (although before time that CFAs started having freestanding locations).

I’d welcome a Target but I don’t see why Target would build a Staples-sized smaller store in Greenville.  There are plenty of sites for a larger store.

Maybe a Market by Macy’s?

In any event, I haven’t seen an official closing announcement for that Staples, although I might have just missed it.  I assume that the store simply hasn’t exercised an option to extend its lease so the landlord has started to market the space.  This has happened before.

There was a chick fil a in the Daniel building? When was that?

17 minutes ago, Tigers81 said:

There was a chick fil a in the Daniel building? When was that?

Yeah, it was on the bottom floor in the parking garage between two and three decades ago. That and the Fuddruckers downtown bring back memories. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...