Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

The only major one I can think of right now is the widening of Gregg from Fulbright north to the existing 4-lanes (wasn't that opened real recently?).

Hmmm....there was that although that's been open for a while. But that might fit into the two year time period Matt mentioned. But I was thinking it might have been more than two years ago.

Hmmm....there was that although that's been open for a while. But that might fit into the two year time period Matt mentioned. But I was thinking it might have been more than two years ago.

It definitely wasn't more than 2 years ago... maybe last year? Huh, maybe I just haven't paid much attention to it even though I've driven through it recently several times.

It definitely wasn't more than 2 years ago... maybe last year? Huh, maybe I just haven't paid much attention to it even though I've driven through it recently several times.

If it wasn't more than two years I'd still have to say it's closer to two years ago. It really seems to me that I've been traveling on that road more than just a year. But who knows, I admit I can't pick a particular date that I remember it being comepleted.

You know what road really needs work?

If you go east on Joyce from the mall and go past 265, you run into this little tiny windy section of the road that is barely big enough for 2 cars. Plus, there is no shoulder, just a ditch (more like a dropoff). Plus the turns make it difficult to see if anybody is coming.

One time I was coming home and a guy with a trailer was in the middle of the road. He saw me and moved over. But his trailer was still in the middle of the road. It was too late to stop, and even if I did it still would have hit me. I was forced to go off the road a little.

While coming back on the road, I dented my rim pretty badly. In fact I had to buy a new one. I'm thankful the tire still held air.

Sorry to go off on a rant there, but they need to fix that.

EDIT (first draft typed too quickly without proofreading)

Edited by lefty

You know what road really needs work?

If you go east on Joyce from the mall and go past 265, you run into this little tiny windy section of the road that is barely big enough for 2 cars. Plus, there is no shoulder, just a ditch (more like a dropoff). Plus the turns make it difficult to see if anybody is coming.

One time I was coming home on that road, and a guy with a trailer was in the middle of the road. He saw me and moved over. But his trailer was still in the middle of the road. It was too late to stop, and even if I did it will would have hit me. I was forced to go off the road a little.

While coming back on the road, I dented my rim pretty badly. In fact I had to buy a new one. I'm thankful the tire still held air.

Sorry to go off on a rant there, but they need to fix that.

Yeah, that is a terrible road. According to the master street plan, they are eventually going to straighten it some. But who knows when?

Here is the link to the master street plan: Master Street Plan

I saw soemehing in the paper today, I'm guessing this is what itk was referring to yesterday. It mentions that buying all the right of way for the bypass around Bella Vista could happen next year with construction starting in 2008 and that it is possible for it to be finished by 2010. Although it sounds like not all officials like setting that type of deadline. Some thing 2011 is a more realistic goal.

I saw soemehing in the paper today, I'm guessing this is what itk was referring to yesterday. It mentions that buying all the right of way for the bypass around Bella Vista could happen next year with construction starting in 2008 and that it is possible for it to be finished by 2010. Although it sounds like not all officials like setting that type of deadline. Some thing 2011 is a more realistic goal.

Good to hear. 2011 is only 5 years away, hooray.

There was also some bad news mixed in that same article. It just basically re-emphasized that the state just doesn't have enough money for all it's highway needs. That it won't likely have the money in the 20 year plan to do all the improvements to I-540 that have been recommended by studies. I also wonder if there will eventually be a decision as to whether spend the money to complete the 412 bypass or set it aside to spend more on I-540 improvements. Either way it sounds like both could take decades to complete. By then of course you wonder what other improvements I-540 will need by then.

There was also some bad news mixed in that same article. It just basically re-emphasized that the state just doesn't have enough money for all it's highway needs. That it won't likely have the money in the 20 year plan to do all the improvements to I-540 that have been recommended by studies. I also wonder if there will eventually be a decision as to whether spend the money to complete the 412 bypass or set it aside to spend more on I-540 improvements. Either way it sounds like both could take decades to complete. By then of course you wonder what other improvements I-540 will need by then.

I would think as time goes on I-540 will increasingly becoming a federal monetary priority. I tend to be conservative about highway construction and expansion costs and think I-49 would be a huge boondoggle but I can see that I-540 has to be a priority. That said, I think the exits and overpasses are a more urgent concern than widening it is.

I would think as time goes on I-540 will increasingly becoming a federal monetary priority. I tend to be conservative about highway construction and expansion costs and think I-49 would be a huge boondoggle but I can see that I-540 has to be a priority. That said, I think the exits and overpasses are a more urgent concern than widening it is.

And that is one crux of the matter-- with such limited funds, does one spend it on a western bypass, or improving I-540? If you can't have both, what to do? Do you try to spend money finishing the rest of I-49-- but by doing so, there is no way to finish it at once so it could only go a short, limited distance-- is that money better spent than trying to address current congestion problems?

And you're right, interchanges are the primary problem on I-540 than widening is... however, when you get to the technical details, unfortunately it's not so simple. For some interchanges, the only thing that can be a major improvement is adding an additional ramp lane for example... which means you have to add a freeway lane... which means that lane has to go somewhere (in other words, unclogging one bottleneck will just move the congestion further down somewhere unless there are more lanes). Making piece-meal improvements can only do so much, obviously, and won't solve the major problems without a more systematic overhaul.

Boo funding shortfalls... hooray car-pooling

And that is one crux of the matter-- with such limited funds, does one spend it on a western bypass, or improving I-540? If you can't have both, what to do? Do you try to spend money finishing the rest of I-49-- but by doing so, there is no way to finish it at once so it could only go a short, limited distance-- is that money better spent than trying to address current congestion problems?

And you're right, interchanges are the primary problem on I-540 than widening is... however, when you get to the technical details, unfortunately it's not so simple. For some interchanges, the only thing that can be a major improvement is adding an additional ramp lane for example... which means you have to add a freeway lane... which means that lane has to go somewhere (in other words, unclogging one bottleneck will just move the congestion further down somewhere unless there are more lanes). Making piece-meal improvements can only do so much, obviously, and won't solve the major problems without a more systematic overhaul.

Boo funding shortfalls... hooray car-pooling

Yeah as nice as an idea of having an I-49 is, I can just imagine telling people in NWA that there isn't anymore money to spend on roads up here so that they can complete a controversial I-49. If it comes down to improving I-540 or a western bypass I still say I personally think I-540 should take precedence. It's already the established roadway. For me a western bypass will simply push development further west into some of the towns in the western parts of Washington and Benton Counties. I'd rather further develop the 'core' of the metro. If there's any positives in this as I-540 becomes more congested maybe this will in some way help improve a better public transportation system.

• 2 weeks later...

There was mention of retaining wall being built along I-540 and I noticed the other day when driving by a new auto dealership (?) in north Springdale that there's a stretch of interstate with a very nice retaining wall on the east side. It's not a typical bare concrete wall but it looks like it's made of interlaced bricks in an earth tone. There's a even a part that has "GO HOGS" spelled out in the brick pattern. Anyway, I hope we start seeing more and more of these kinds of features on I-540 so it won't always look like a rural freeway.

There was mention of retaining wall being built along I-540 and I noticed the other day when driving by a new auto dealership (?) in north Springdale that there's a stretch of interstate with a very nice retaining wall on the east side. It's not a typical bare concrete wall but it looks like it's made of interlaced bricks in an earth tone. There's a even a part that has "GO HOGS" spelled out in the brick pattern. Anyway, I hope we start seeing more and more of these kinds of features on I-540 so it won't always look like a rural freeway.

I've seen that, it's quite pleasant.

Guess I must have just been paying more attention to the road or perhaps traffic was blocking my view.

It is hard to see going northbound since there's an overpass just before it, but I always see it going southbound. They built it when they were building the auto dealership, Fletcher something or other (?). Also it's not really tall or anything like some retaining walls, but it definitely stands out when all you're used to seeing is grass and trees on the side of I-540.

I've got a few more completed road projects in Bentonville.

At the intersection of Water Tower Rd and 102 (light by the Neighborhood Market and soon to open Sams Club), a right turn lane off 102 has been completed, to help traffic flow much better.

Infront of the Bentonville High School, the traffic light on J Street has been completed, to help students and faculty enter the facility much easier, then having to wait to make a left turn on it.

At the intersection of Water Tower Rd and 102 (light by the Neighborhood Market and soon to open Sams Club), a right turn lane off 102 has been completed, to help traffic flow much better.

Infront of the Bentonville High School, the traffic light on J Street has been completed, to help students and faculty enter the facility much easier, then having to wait to make a left turn on it.

Matt, did you see today's article where some parents are stopping right on "J" Street to drop their kids off? :shok: Hopefully they'll get a bit wiser...that's pretty dangerous.

This article's the first one I've seen confirming that BHS has around 3,000 students, BTW.

Yes so now the Sam's Club/Neighborhood Market has 2 turn lanes, one before the other. Should help with traffic issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like there's some trouble with the 412 Bypass.

Apparently, SWEPCO is wanting to build a $130 Million Plant right on the path of the U.S. 412 Bypass. As we can all tell, both projects are of high importance to NWA, since we want growth patterns to continue. It's looking like the Highway Department may have to give in this, and try another route, which is going to make the project longer.

If anyone hasn't read it yet, there was a decent article in the paper regarding the Regional Mobility Authority (RMA) Act, and how the NWA Council is trying to use its influence to get state legislators to see things their way.

RMA's are new to Arkansas, and one hasn't been set up (yet). They are gaining popularity in other bigger states. The main reason being, as I have stated before on UP here, is that transportation budgets at the federal and state levels are hardly growing, yet congestion and construction prices are growing immensely (and in NWA, land prices as well).

RMA's can allow a metro region to raise funds and spend them on transportation projects in a way the state can't. As I have stated before, raising gas tax is unpopular, and AHTD can't get their hands on Arkansas' massive projected budget surplus, dumb as that might sound.

Therefore, I think RMA's are a way for NWA to use it's own money to help pay for projects of high priority by, for example, levying a sales tax. It won't raise enough funds to pay for something like a bypass, but it could be used for widening roads, intersections, bridges, etc. RMA could be well suited for NWA. The only catch might be the fact that since it's primarily a two-county metro area, voters in both counties would have to pass this I think, and their might be issues as far as how the money is split between the two.

If anyone hasn't read it yet, there was a decent article in the paper regarding the Regional Mobility Authority (RMA) Act, and how the NWA Council is trying to use its influence to get state legislators to see things their way.

RMA's are new to Arkansas, and one hasn't been set up (yet). They are gaining popularity in other bigger states. The main reason being, as I have stated before on UP here, is that transportation budgets at the federal and state levels are hardly growing, yet congestion and construction prices are growing immensely (and in NWA, land prices as well).

RMA's can allow a metro region to raise funds and spend them on transportation projects in a way the state can't. As I have stated before, raising gas tax is unpopular, and AHTD can't get their hands on Arkansas' massive projected budget surplus, dumb as that might sound.

Therefore, I think RMA's are a way for NWA to use it's own money to help pay for projects of high priority by, for example, levying a sales tax. It won't raise enough funds to pay for something like a bypass, but it could be used for widening roads, intersections, bridges, etc. RMA could be well suited for NWA. The only catch might be the fact that since it's primarily a two-county metro area, voters in both counties would have to pass this I think, and their might be issues as far as how the money is split between the two.

Interesting. This area of the state has been the first to try out a number of things. Would be nice to see something like this happen. Although as you said, it is complicated by the fact that it's not just one county.