Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Well, I suppose you could ride the South Rogers Route to this new Lowell Route, which would then direct you to the East Springdale route, which on it's last stop takes you to the NWA Mall. It would take a while, but you would save gas. :D

At least they're getting some more routes between different cities. Even if it's just between the a town and one of the bigger cities at a time.

At least they're getting some more routes between different cities. Even if it's just between the a town and one of the bigger cities at a time.

Yeah, Springdale approved of a third route and now Lowell is considering one. I'm waiting for Bella Vista to catch on and may'be Siloam Springs to Springdale.

Yeah, Springdale approved of a third route and now Lowell is considering one. I'm waiting for Bella Vista to catch on and may'be Siloam Springs to Springdale.

Mentioning other cities, do you have any idea if there are any route going over to Eureka Springs? I know that's a bit away but thought maybe they might consider it because it's a tourist area.

I know they call it a trolley but I guess I considered it a bit more of a bus. Anyone have any definitions on what makes a bus a bus and a trolley a trolley?

For me, a Trolley is an open, usually older version of a street car that was used in the early 20th century. It usually operates on a fixed route in the street or runs off of electricity above it. A Bus is a closed automobile usually made out of medal that operates off of Natural Gas or other alternative fuel sources. Bus's aren't fixed to the street but do run on fixed routes.

For me, a Trolley is an open, usually older version of a street car that was used in the early 20th century. It usually operates on a fixed route in the street or runs off of electricity above it. A Bus is a closed automobile usually made out of medal that operates off of Natural Gas or other alternative fuel sources. Bus's aren't fixed to the street but do run on fixed routes.

Now the vehicles used in Eureka Springs are open somewhat but I'm pretty sure they don't run on electricity and there aren't any rails that they run on either. I'm sure the word trolley sounds better in an old town like Eureka Springs but I think from what I remember I'd have to actually call them buses.

Now the vehicles used in Eureka Springs are open somewhat but I'm pretty sure they don't run on electricity and there aren't any rails that they run on either. I'm sure the word trolley sounds better in an old town like Eureka Springs but I think from what I remember I'd have to actually call them buses.

May'be so.

I didn't know that they weren't fixed to the ground or operated off of electricity. I guess one could say if it looks old than it's a trolley, if it looks more newer and metal than it's a bus.

May'be so.

I didn't know that they weren't fixed to the ground or operated off of electricity. I guess one could say if it looks old than it's a trolley, if it looks more newer and metal than it's a bus.

Yeah I do admit they look more like a trolley than a bus. Maybe I'll have to do a little more research. If I can keep all this info I'm researching straight. :lol:

Alright, I have yet to post on the transportation projects in NWA so here are my 2 cents worth. Some serious projects need to get done and need to get done now. First on this list should be expanding I-540 to 6 or 8 lanes, and I think 8 lanes is the way to go. I drive that road everyday to work and traffic is terrible. Everday its stop in go traffic, mainly because there are too many cars on the road and because most people in NWA don't know how to drive. I lived in Denver this summer, and when you wanted to merge onto the interstate, you gassed it to 70 MPH on the on ramp and you made room for yourself. In NWA for some reason people only go like 40 MPH on the on ramp and expect people to let them on the interstate, and when people on the interstate slow down to let those slow people on, it makes everyone slow, causing major traffic issues. Springdale needs a bypass bad and so does Bella Vista. I personally don't think that a light rail system would go good here in NWA right now anyway, and they need to invest in the road systems.

I am tired of the AHTD saying all these proects will be done with nothing happening. This is seriously the worse department in the state. The springdale bypass has been talked abou for 10 years and nothing has been done yet, which is causing more traffic on 412 and causing the price of the project to increase. So I wish the AHTD would get off there butts and something up here in NWA to help us out.

Alright, I have yet to post on the transportation projects in NWA so here are my 2 cents worth. Some serious projects need to get done and need to get done now. First on this list should be expanding I-540 to 6 or 8 lanes, and I think 8 lanes is the way to go. I drive that road everyday to work and traffic is terrible. Everday its stop in go traffic, mainly because there are too many cars on the road and because most people in NWA don't know how to drive. I lived in Denver this summer, and when you wanted to merge onto the interstate, you gassed it to 70 MPH on the on ramp and you made room for yourself. In NWA for some reason people only go like 40 MPH on the on ramp and expect people to let them on the interstate, and when people on the interstate slow down to let those slow people on, it makes everyone slow, causing major traffic issues. Springdale needs a bypass bad and so does Bella Vista. I personally don't think that a light rail system would go good here in NWA right now anyway, and they need to invest in the road systems.

I am tired of the AHTD saying all these proects will be done with nothing happening. This is seriously the worse department in the state. The springdale bypass has been talked abou for 10 years and nothing has been done yet, which is causing more traffic on 412 and causing the price of the project to increase. So I wish the AHTD would get off there butts and something up here in NWA to help us out.

My concern is that if they spend all that money to widen I-540 they'll later realize they overcompensated when they start getting the arterial roads connected. The guys doing the planning for NWA have always said that they wouldn't build a road until the demand was high enough, and although they keep stalling even after the demand has been reached, you have to look at other cities that have overcompensated. Take St. Petersburg, Florida for example... they built roads everywhere so they wouldn't have to worry later about it. Today, St. Pete has almost no traffic congestion for a MSA population of 2 1/2 million people. But the city has absolutely no room to grow and now they're kicking themselves in the arse for building too many roads. They say the only way for them to grow is to start removing roads and that's going to be harder than adding a road.

But I do agree with you that there needs to be less talking about it and more action concerning roads in NWA.

Edited by masons_dad1

Yeah unfortunately the AHTD has been this way for a while. Although I don't know if I'd blame it all on them. I'm not crazy about this pay as you go method of building roads that a lot of people in Arkansas apparently prefer since they vote down anything else. But this is the way things seem to be done here. I think the biggest problem is that Arkansas has never had growth like this and doesn't know what to do. But I do think people here in NWA are going to have to go to tollraods to get some of these roads projects done.

Yeah unfortunately the AHTD has been this way for a while. Although I don't know if I'd blame it all on them. I'm not crazy about this pay as you go method of building roads that a lot of people in Arkansas apparently prefer since they vote down anything else. But this is the way things seem to be done here. I think the biggest problem is that Arkansas has never had growth like this and doesn't know what to do. But I do think people here in NWA are going to have to go to tollraods to get some of these roads projects done.

NWA could make a fortune if they would make the 71 Bypass into Missouri and the Hwy 412 into Oklahoma Toll Roads. The trucks coming and going through those gates are wearing down our roads and I think they should start paying for some of them. Also, people that work here and live out of state should also pay for the priveledge of using our roads.

I would like to see the new Springdale and Bella Vista Bypass's to be both Toll. Even the XNA Airport Road could be toll when completed, which would be a great asset in trying to relocate a major aircraft manufactuer, or other manufacturer. I think Toll's are the best option for NWA, seeing as how it would help pay for more road projects. If I'm correct, NWA could have the first Toll Road in Arkansas.

The Interstate should be widened to 8 lanes in my opinion as well. This is actually priority nu. 2 for me. It's going to get congested, and IMO it would be a lot easier and quicker to widen the existing Interstate instead of having to build a new Western Bypass that would cost more tax money and really not serve a good function. It would also take 10 more years seeing as how all the permits you'd have to get from the EPA, AHTD, etc.

Third, NWA needs to focus on aertial roads. These will be the roads most used in NWA, and I must say that in Benton County and especially Rogers we Fail. The New Hope widening project isn't going to help us very long, seeing as how the AHTD did a study concluding that within 15 years, traffic would be even worse on New Hope than what it was before the widening happened. New Aertial Roads need to be made as well.

I would like to see the new Springdale and Bella Vista Bypass's to be both Toll. Even the XNA Airport Road could be toll when completed, which would be a great asset in trying to relocate a major aircraft manufactuer, or other manufacturer. I think Toll's are the best option for NWA, seeing as how it would help pay for more road projects. If I'm correct, NWA could have the first Toll Road in Arkansas.

The Interstate should be widened to 8 lanes in my opinion as well. This is actually priority nu. 2 for me. It's going to get congested, and IMO it would be a lot easier and quicker to widen the existing Interstate instead of having to build a new Western Bypass that would cost more tax money and really not serve a good function. It would also take 10 more years seeing as how all the permits you'd have to get from the EPA, AHTD, etc.

Third, NWA needs to focus on aertial roads. These will be the roads most used in NWA, and I must say that in Benton County and especially Rogers we Fail. The New Hope widening project isn't going to help us very long, seeing as how the AHTD did a study concluding that within 15 years, traffic would be even worse on New Hope than what it was before the widening happened. New Aertial Roads need to be made as well.

It's a funny thing about arterial roads. I was driving in Bentonville yesterday and I made the mistake of turning north off of Main Street. I kept going in circles everywhere I went. I finally made it back to Main and vowed to never stray off the main roads again. It's frustrating having lived in cities where every road gets you where you're going.

A Western Bypass Tollroad would be beneficial if NWA was to exceed 1 million people but the current situation doesn't require it, so I retract my support for the Western Bypass. NWA isn't like Dallas which has round dimensions. NWA is a north-south MSA so it's probably a good idea to focus on I-540 with major arteries branching off of it and a couple 5 lane roads running parallel to it.

Edited by masons_dad1

Interesting stuff. First off nice forum here-- I've lurked on and off before, these are great discussions going on and I think I can make meaningful contributions. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

Now to this particular post (which expresses similar frustrations to just about anyone else living in NWA). I understand your frustration, and believe you me just about everything is being done to get these projects live and running. AHTD knows NWA has immense transportation needs that cannot be addressed soon enough. The example you give about the 412 bypass is understandable-- fortunately, once the Record of Decision (or ROD) is finalized by FHWA, official design work and ROW/utility work can (and will, trust me) begin immediately. Especially considering how ROW costs are just going through the roof.

My concern is that if they spend all that money to widen I-540 they'll later realize they overcompensated when they start getting the arterial roads connected. The guys doing the planning for NWA have always said that they wouldn't build a road until the demand was high enough, and although they keep stalling even after the demand has been reached, you have to look at other cities that have overcompensated. Take St. Petersburg, Florida for example... they built roads everywhere so they wouldn't have to worry later about it. Today, St. Pete has almost no traffic congestion for a MSA population of 2 1/2 million people. But the city has absolutely no room to grow and now they're kicking themselves in the arse for building too many roads. They say the only way for them to grow is to start removing roads and that's going to be harder than adding a road.

But I do agree with you that there needs to be less talking about it and more action concerning roads in NWA.

LOL... Trust me, the "guys" doing the planning for NWA aren't stalling for all the tea in China. The bottom line is $$$. AHTD knows there is a huge funding shortfall for transportation needs in the area. The same thing is happening to all (or almost all) DOT's across the country-- not enough $$$. The gas tax funding source strategy is being outdated in a hurry, and everyone knows it. AHTD is looking hard at different funding sources/strategies... I'm sure you all still remember what happened at the ballots early last Dec. So keep in mind that when it comes to funding, politics get heavily involved. Fortunately, cities in NWA have been proactive and receptive to unique funding strategies, particularly partnering with AHTD to fastrack some projects that they consider priorities.

Also keep in mind that AHTD has a lawful obligation to spend taxpayer money wisely... sometimes that gets tested. For example, are you familiar with Horsebarn/Pinnacle Pkwy in Rogers? Well, it was let again this Jan... and all bids were rejected again. (I'm sort of surprised the local media didn't get wind of that.) It's my understanding that unnacceptably high bids (I think especially for smaller jobs) are happening frequently in NWA, since contractors aren't necessarily short of work these days. Combine that with skyrocketing ROW costs, higher gas prices, higher steel prices... well, I think you get the picture. The more expensive projects get, the less money there is for other projects.