Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Interesting. This area of the state has been the first to try out a number of things. Would be nice to see something like this happen. Although as you said, it is complicated by the fact that it's not just one county.

Yeah, I don't know all the goings on right now trying to get state legislators to revise the law on it, but I think that it could be a really good thing for NWA.

Many people in NWA say they aren't getting enough compared to what they put in (in taxes) when it comes to transportation improvements. Partly, that's due to the limitations of how state DOTs are set up like AHTD. So an RMA is a potential way around that (it could be thought of as an innovative financing technique).

That would be very interesting if NWA got the first RMA along with the first toll road in Arkansas-- shows initiative.

Starting in October ORT will be running an express route between Fayetteville and Bentonville. I pulled info from their website. If this is successful we may be on the road to a full-blown rapid transit system.

Commuter Express

Beginning Monday, October 2, 2006, we will begin a new Commuter Express Route and for the first 2 weeks (Oct 2 - Oct 13), you can ride for free. This will be an Express service between Fayetteville and Bentonville.

After Oct. 13, Monthly Passes for this route can be purchased for $76. One way trips are $3 each.

Commuter Express is public transportation designed to take people to work, with a minimum amount of waiting to get from a park-and-ride lot to their employment site. This means from one to five stops, depending on the distance traveled, the density of people living within a given area that the bus will serve. For example, in Northwest Arkansas, this might mean one stop in Fayetteville to pickup people and one in Bentonville, or vice versa.

Commuter Express monthly passes generally costs more than a monthly pass because of the distance traveled by the commuter, which translates into higher costs for the public transportation provider.

Normally, a public transportation provider would do research and then implement a Commuter Express, based upon travel within a corridor. However, because of our limited funding, Ozark Regional Transit has to implement this service slightly different. To cover the cost of providing this service, we will need to have approximately 50 persons traveling per day per one round trip on each route. It is for this reason that we are asking for where interested persons live and work to develop any one route.

This service is being offered independent of local and federal funding sources for it's operation.

The introductory price for a Commuter Express monthly pass is $76 per month. This pass is good on all of our regular fixed routes. The Commuter Express cash price to ride one way would be $3. Transfers to any other routes would be free. To see what you might save by commuting to work, please visit our calculator on our website at www.ozark.org.

As part of the Commuter Express program, we will also offer a "Guaranteed Ride Home" program. The purpose of this program is to provide a ride to anyone who holds a monthly Commuter Express pass in the event that they have an emergency that requires them to leave work for any reason. There would be a fare for this service of $6 one-way. All a person would do is call our Customer Service line, say "I have a Commuter Express pass, I need the guaranteed ride home," and we would route a vehicle to pick them up and take them within our service area.

The potential for this service in terms of where the bus travels is within the four counties that we serve, Benton, Carroll, Madison, and Washington. It includes Bella Vista, West Fork, Siloam Springs, Fayetteville and Bentonville to name a few areas. If there is sufficient interest in Commuter Express from Oklahoma or Missouri to the NWA area, we can consider providing that as well.

The benefits of this service are multi-fold: For the patrons of this service, a great savings of driving their personal vehicle, more disposable income for them to spend, and a more productive and relaxing way to get to work. For the community, it improves the air quality, reduces congestion and the need for more infrastructure, i.e. wider and larger roads. It will also expand the job pool for employers and more opportunities for potential employees for employment. This is a great and timely service for NWA. Sign up today!

Good to see ORT doing some things like this. I wonder how long a typical trip would take. I also thought it was interesting that they mentioned the fact of people from Missouri and Oklahoma commuting the NWA as well. Maybe we might end up seeing some routes extending out of state eventually.

Good to see ORT doing some things like this. I wonder how long a typical trip would take. I also thought it was interesting that they mentioned the fact of people from Missouri and Oklahoma commuting the NWA as well. Maybe we might end up seeing some routes extending out of state eventually.

Well without HOV lanes and considering the target commuters it'll probably take just a little longer than if you drive yourself to work. Seriously. At $30 a week or $75 for a monthly pass do you really think anyone is going to use this? Just so someone else can get them to work late.

Well without HOV lanes and considering the target commuters it'll probably take just a little longer than if you drive yourself to work. Seriously. At $30 a week or $75 for a monthly pass do you really think anyone is going to use this? Just so someone else can get them to work late.

I don't know, what are people spending on gas on a weekly or monthly basis? I suppose now it's not so much in question because gas prices are coming back down. But if they go back up again this could turn out to be a cheaper option. For all I know it may still be a cheaper option for some people. I suppose it depends on where you're coming from and what kind of vehicle you have.

I don't know, what are people spending on gas on a weekly or monthly basis? I suppose now it's not so much in question because gas prices are coming back down. But if they go back up again this could turn out to be a cheaper option. For all I know it may still be a cheaper option for some people. I suppose it depends on where you're coming from and what kind of vehicle you have.

One way to look at it is instead of one or two people yelling and beating up their dashboard when stuck in traffic, there will be an entire busload yelling and probably beating each other up. :D

Without dedicated lanes it truely wouldn't be a BRT, but just an express route. I think this would mostly appeal to lower-class and/or people without other reliable transportation (i.e., car). Because, you're right, if there were congestion on I-540, the bus is still stuck in traffic like everyone else, so it wouldn't save you any time and not much in gas.

Without dedicated lanes it truely wouldn't be a BRT, but just an express route. I think this would mostly appeal to lower-class and/or people without other reliable transportation (i.e., car). Because, you're right, if there were congestion on I-540, the bus is still stuck in traffic like everyone else, so it wouldn't save you any time and not much in gas.

I suppose here's another reason to expand I-540 so that we might be able to have a dedicated lane for something like this.

I've got a question for everyone. I thought about posting some info on the bus routes in the area. I think I've got some maps of ORT's bus routes. I've got some for Razorback as well but I'm not too impressed with their maps. I've considered trying to make some using some Google Earth images. But I was wondering if anyone thought a new topic was needed or to put it in a topic like this.

I've got a question for everyone. I thought about posting some info on the bus routes in the area. I think I've got some maps of ORT's bus routes. I've got some for Razorback as well but I'm not too impressed with their maps. I've considered trying to make some using some Google Earth images. But I was wondering if anyone thought a new topic was needed or to put it in a topic like this.

Sounds cool Mith. Being that there will eventually be more bus routes added ORT does need to have it's own topic. ORT is an ongoing transportation development.

Sounds cool Mith. Being that there will eventually be more bus routes added ORT does need to have it's own topic. ORT is an ongoing transportation development.

I know most interest is going to be in ORT but I thought about making a more general bus service topic so Razorback could be included as well.

I know most interest is going to be in ORT but I thought about making a more general bus service topic so Razorback could be included as well.

Well that's what I meant. Razorback was a "real" bus system before ORT upgraded from the Dial-A-Ride it used to be, which it still offers, but I've heard complaints that noone ever answers when calling ORT.

Heads up NWA Drivers:

The Perry Road overpass will close permanently for construction on the new interchange on Interstate 540. The overpass will be open until Oct. 10. On Oct. 11, where it will permanently close for the construction of the $ 15. 4-million Promenade interchange project. The new interchange was shifted south from the existing Perry Road overpass. Workers are currently working on the northbound off ramp and on ramp. I've heard that workers hope to have the off ramp completed by Thanksgiving weekend and the on ramp ready for the Christmas season.

Heads up NWA Drivers:

The Perry Road overpass will close permanently for construction on the new interchange on Interstate 540. The overpass will be open until Oct. 10. On Oct. 11, where it will permanently close for the construction of the $ 15. 4-million Promenade interchange project. The new interchange was shifted south from the existing Perry Road overpass. Workers are currently working on the northbound off ramp and on ramp. I've heard that workers hope to have the off ramp completed by Thanksgiving weekend and the on ramp ready for the Christmas season.

Is there any idea how they're going to handle traffic at the New Hope/540 interchange when the Promenade opens? It's scary as hell to even think about traffic there until the Perry Road interchange opens up fully.

Bellview Rd is also going to be bad, since it isn't 3 or 5 lanes yet. 45th will help, but traffic all along western Rogers is going to suffer for months because of this. It's good to know that construction on the Perry Road interchange has started, instead of the usual may'be we keep hearing about on other projects in NWA.

It also appeals to environmentalists like me.

I guess this is the best place for this. There has been nighttime construction going on at the north end of I-540 going into Bella Vista. At least one lane has been closed every night for the past week and tonight was worse yet. Traffic was backed up for over 3 miles going into Bella Vista and the idiots didn't even bother making the shoulder into a lane for people exiting into Bentonville. If this is what we have to look forward to all those road projects I'm seriously considering moving out of NWA for a few years until they're done. Okay, maybe nothing that drastic, but someone really should show those people how to do nighttime road construction.

^

What are they doing? Resurfacing the Intestate?

I never made it that far into Bella Vista to find out since I use the Bentonville exit to get to work. It's stupid that people using the Bentonville exit have to sit in that traffic when the shoulder could be used, but they have signs and barrels actually blocking the shoulder in several areas.

Yeah I heard about that and yes they're resurfacing it.

Ah, I see.

Well at least they're doing it at night and not at 11:00am on a Monday. If any of you live on New Hope Rd., ,then you can understand what daytime road construction is like on a major thoroughfare. Everyday for the past few years it's been nothing but non-stop construction.

Ah, I see.

Well at least they're doing it at night and not at 11:00am on a Monday. If any of you live on New Hope Rd., ,then you can understand what daytime road construction is like on a major thoroughfare. Everyday for the past few years it's been nothing but non-stop construction.

I just wish the road crews didn't always do such a half-assed job in NWA. I've been through many nighttime construction zones elsewhere that were hardly an inconvenience at all.

I guess this is the best place for this. There has been nighttime construction going on at the north end of I-540 going into Bella Vista. At least one lane has been closed every night for the past week and tonight was worse yet. Traffic was backed up for over 3 miles going into Bella Vista and the idiots didn't even bother making the shoulder into a lane for people exiting into Bentonville. If this is what we have to look forward to all those road projects I'm seriously considering moving out of NWA for a few years until they're done. Okay, maybe nothing that drastic, but someone really should show those people how to do nighttime road construction.

Backed up for 3 miles at night? That's pretty harsh. If you have a legitimate complaint, I would suggest making a phone call to the local AHTD resident office in Bentonville, or the higher-up district office. That contact info is on the AHTD website somewhere. If it's real bad, they'll get a bunch of phone calls and may change up their scheduling or something.

Backed up for 3 miles at night? That's pretty harsh. If you have a legitimate complaint, I would suggest making a phone call to the local AHTD resident office in Bentonville, or the higher-up district office. That contact info is on the AHTD website somewhere. If it's real bad, they'll get a bunch of phone calls and may change up their scheduling or something.

Ok so I checked map24.com and I may have exaggerated just a bit. According to map24.com northbound traffic was backed up closer to a mile and a half from the Bentonville exit. How much further past the Bentonville exit the traffic jam went I wouldn't know. I can honestly say there were close to a thousand cars and semis in standstill traffic at 9:00pm so I'm pretty confident that someone else may complain because I don't have to deal with it every day. I was only in it for 20 minutes. A mile and a half in 20 minutes.

Ok so I checked map24.com and I may have exaggerated just a bit. According to map24.com northbound traffic was backed up closer to a mile and a half from the Bentonville exit. How much further past the Bentonville exit the traffic jam went I wouldn't know. I can honestly say there were close to a thousand cars and semis in standstill traffic at 9:00pm so I'm pretty confident that someone else may complain because I don't have to deal with it every day. I was only in it for 20 minutes. A mile and a half in 20 minutes.

That still sounds pretty bad. Sometimes they don't exactly know how bad traffic tie-ups are due to construction until they get complaints about it. At least they are doing it at night.