Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

That still sounds pretty bad. Sometimes they don't exactly know how bad traffic tie-ups are due to construction until they get complaints about it. At least they are doing it at night.

Well, I didn't hear horns blaring or any evidence of road rage and people weren't getting out and playing volleyball over their cars so it's not as bad as some highways in California or Texas. :D

Here's the new Perry Road Interchange Under Construction.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Here's Bellview Road, a new 5 lane road that connects Perry Road to New Hope Road on the backside of the Pinnacle Promenade.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

And here's the new 45th Street or "Hospital Blvd" that runs infront of the Promenade. It is 5 lanes as well.

IMG_0125.jpg

Too bad all the 5-lane roads being added in NWA aren't boulevards at creation. It would at least create the hope that some of these new developments will become pedestrian friendly and it would add some green back to the land to keep all the asphalt cooler. Is it just too expensive for the center curbs and some grass seed?

Edited by Thia

Too bad all the 5-lane roads being added in NWA aren't boulevards at creation. It would at least create the hope that some of these new developments will become pedestrian friendly and it would add some green back to the land to keep all the asphalt cooler. Is it just too expensive for the center curbs and some grass seed?

I have to agree with you there. Not sure why more of these streets aren't being done as boulevards. Hopefully NWA will start looking more into this. Especially Fayetteville, since it's known for being the 'green' city in NWA. But in some instances despite a lot of talk I still haven't see many boulevards in Fayetteville yet either.

No, I think a curbed center median with grass, as shown in the above pics, is less expensive than pavement, even including maintenance costs. However, for a "true" boulevard that functions properly, you need more total width for the median-- primarily for turning bays, pedestrian refuges, and space for large trucks to make a u-turn (at least at intersections). Plus there's width for the curb-- added up, a "true" boulevard typically costs more than a 5-lane road.

However, what you are seeing in those pics near the Promenade are like mini-boulevards. For some reason, they are really popular in NWA (most likely because they are cheaper than real boulevards). I don't think I've ever seen mini-boulevard designs in other metros in the US. They don't provide any true function (unless a paved pedestrian refuge were built at crosswalk locations in low-speed areas), other than to look pretty.

It is more expenive to add a median or center curb, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that MOST roads in NWA are also state highways and there's only so much they can do with them. I'm not sure about Perry Road.

Now J Street in Bentonville has been remodelled with a center curb lined with trees making it more of a Boulevard, but it's now only 2 lanes.

It is more expenive to add a median or center curb, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that MOST roads in NWA are also state highways and there's only so much they can do with them. I'm not sure about Perry Road.

Now J Street in Bentonville has been remodelled with a center curb lined with trees making it more of a Boulevard, but it's now only 2 lanes.

What part of J? It has to be the north side b/c they're widening the rest of it to 5 lanes.

PLEASE take the time to fill out the "Map Survey" under "Fayetteville Expressway Economic Development Corridor Project" on the City of Fayetteville website. www.accessfayetteville.org

It is structured for everyone in the region to participate and has room for comments and suggestions. If Fayetteville is asking for input let's all give it to them!

PLEASE take the time to fill out the "Map Survey" under "Fayetteville Expressway Economic Development Corridor Project" on the City of Fayetteville website. www.accessfayetteville.org

It is structured for everyone in the region to participate and has room for comments and suggestions. If Fayetteville is asking for input let's all give it to them!

It is important enough to me (I work in the area and drive through there every day...), that I'll post a direct link to the survey.

FEEDC survey

Hmmm...now that I've actually gotten around to taking it, I'm a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting to be able to comment on individual road projects and such. Not trying to slam the questionaire, just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

That's because it's not a comment or questionaire form, so to speak. It's only meant for those who drive to/from the NWA Mall area. It's basically a trip survey to help the consultants in their work-- to find out where people are coming from, how often, what time, etc. That's all.

I meant to post that link a while back, but just forgot about it. Thanks Thia for bringing that to people's attention, as that will help out quite a bit.

Edited by itk

What part of J? It has to be the north side b/c they're widening the rest of it to 5 lanes.

J Street north of Central up to Tiger Blvd is 2 lanes with a center tree lined divider. I noticed that some more widening of J Street started from SE Walton, but it doesn't look like it's gotten further than a few yards.

J Street north of Central up to Tiger Blvd is 2 lanes with a center tree lined divider. I noticed that some more widening of J Street started from SE Walton, but it doesn't look like it's gotten further than a few yards.

They're widening J Street from Walton all the way to 102. It' suppose to be 5 lanes. Not sure on completion but it sure will be helpful.

That's because it's not a comment or questionaire form, so to speak. It's only meant for those who drive to/from the NWA Mall area. It's basically a trip survey to help the consultants in their work-- to find out where people are coming from, how often, what time, etc. That's all.

I meant to post that link a while back, but just forgot about it. Thanks Thia for bringing that to people's attention, as that will help out quite a bit.

Yeah I didn't realize it was going to mainly focus just one the Mall area.

It looks like the new Ozark Regional Transit Commuter line started today. I'm not sure how popular it will be, but hopefully it can be successful, so we can start to see larger buses in NWA.

Who knows? I never saw anyone riding the local buses even when they were free, so I just don't know how well ORT will do. The outlook is not so good so far.

A 20% increase in ridership from fiscal 2005 to 2006 sure seems like a positive trend.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/story.php?paper=...;storyid=169503

I guess the fact that I've lived in several large cities with public transportation makes me a bit skeptical. Ridership numbers are important, but it's disconcerting to see empty buses driving around the city when I'm so used to "big city" buses always being full.

Someone told me that Gregg Ave. in Fayetteville started on construction? Is that true?

I think I mentioned something in the Fayetteville topic. I don't think it's actually started but it can now. The city had to agree to pay the $800,000 that the AHTD didn't have to get it going. All the bids came in higher that what the AHTD had funds for. Fayetteville didn't want to wait another year or so before they would get around to doing this so we have to pay the difference.