Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

The Paper. It said it could be finished by late 2007.

Thanks.

Hey Itk, What transportation projects do you see being built in NWA within the next 30 years?

I-540 Widening to 6-8 Lanes and becoming "Urban Interstate", Western Bypass, U.S. 412 Bypass, Bella Vista Bypass, and Eastern Parkway?

Oh boy, that's a loaded question. There are too many variables unknown right now, and things change all the time. I-540 widening, yes. 412, at least in part, yes. Bella Vista definitely yes. The other two... too early to tell I think. All depend on funding when it comes down to it. The feds are tight on cash, probably for the foreseeable future as far as I can tell. Most states are exploring creative and new options for funding sources. Arkansas is no different. Politics (and the people) will ultimately decide; however, these options are rather hush-hush right now so I can't elaborate, and will probably become public in the near future. But let's just say that other sources of major funding is being explored to help fund some of these major needs, which will become just about impossible to complete without it. I think it is just too obvious to many states and the public that are facing billion dollar shortfalls in funding for needs that they cannot address without major money upfront (rather than building bits and pieces in a 'pay as you go' system). But anyway... how about a "maybe for now" on the last two

Edited by itk

Thanks.

Oh boy, that's a loaded question. There are too many variables unknown right now, and things change all the time. I-540 widening, yes. 412, at least in part, yes. Bella Vista definitely yes. The other two... too early to tell I think. All depend on funding when it comes down to it. The feds are tight on cash, probably for the foreseeable future as far as I can tell. Most states are exploring creative and new options for funding sources. Arkansas is no different. Politics (and the people) will ultimately decide; however, these options are rather hush-hush right now so I can't elaborate, and will probably become public in the near future. But let's just say that other sources of major funding is being explored to help fund some of these major needs, which will become just about impossible to complete without it. I think it is just too obvious to many states and the public that are facing billion dollar shortfalls in funding for needs that they cannot address without major money upfront (rather than building bits and pieces in a 'pay as you go' system). But anyway... how about a "maybe for now" on the last two

I am inferring from this tolls are going to become a part of this. I wouldn't mind seeing toll roads for additional routes but I don't think 540 should ever be a toll road.

I am inferring from this tolls are going to become a part of this. I wouldn't mind seeing toll roads for additional routes but I don't think 540 should ever be a toll road.

I agree with you there. I wouldn't want to see I-540 a toll road. But I wouldn't mind it on any of the others too much. If that's what it takes to get the work that's needed on them.

No, I don't see I-540 ever being "tolled". Politically speaking, tolling an existing route would be a bad idea, and I'm not even aware of any major existing interstates in the US that were tolled much after they were constructed. But, for new major routes, like Bella Vista, tolling can be seriously considered. If Bella Vista bypass does well, then obviously I think Arkansas we'll be more comfortable with it and really seriously consider it for other major new routes.

But, as some may know, high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes are very stylish these days, and are showing up more and more often in metro areas in the US. As technology advances continually and people become more comfortable with them (and agencies more comfortable implementing them), every thing I see and hear indicates that something along those lines is the future of highway funding. That is, charging "users" (drivers) a "fee" based on miles driven, where and when (e.g., driving on a busy freeway near downtown around rush hour), maybe based on type of vehicle or occupancy (e.g., carpoolers don't pay and/or hybrid drivers don't pay), etc. It makes too much sense not to happen. When that will happen, and in what shape or form (per corridor like HOT lanes, per metro area like London, or per state), I don't know. Oregon DOT is doing a pilot program for a statewide type system (it will be interesting to see how that turns out). But in other words, in the near future, I don't see "tolling" in the conventional sense on existing routes.

Edited by itk

There was talk of just tolling trucks using the Bella Vista Bypass. I don't like the idea of everyone being tolled just to commute to work or to go shopping. There are plenty of people driving into NWA that don't live or work here that should be tolled. I thought the whole idea of tolling people to use a road was so that locals didn't end up paying for the wear and tear that those "visitors" create.

There was talk of just tolling trucks using the Bella Vista Bypass. I don't like the idea of everyone being tolled just to commute to work or to go shopping. There are plenty of people driving into NWA that don't live or work here that should be tolled. I thought the whole idea of tolling people to use a road was so that locals didn't end up paying for the wear and tear that those "visitors" create.

Well, through travelers on the future Bella Vista bypass would pay a greater toll than, say, those just commuting from Bella Vista (there would be multiple toll stations to my understanding). Remember, people don't have to take the new bypass (if they don't mind sitting in traffic). If you live in Bella Vista, you may well not find the bypass to be an attractive alternative to commute.

Think of tolling as just another revenue source to help pay for a transportation infrastructure, just like paying a fee to use a bus or a metro (or, in lieu of raising taxes).

I hate to ask this, but Itk, can you give us a timeline of the major projects for NWA in the future?

AHTD is rolling out the new statewide transportation improvement program (STIP) in the next several months-- it will go out for public comment I think within the next month or two, which will be announced to the public and will be available (I think) to view and comment from their website. This STIP is basically a list of projects for the next 4 years (07 thru 10)... I think that's right because it used to be 3 years. Anyway, that will be public information which is about as definitive a list of projects for the near future at least as I can talk about.

Really, anything beyond that time frame, when it comes down to it, is almost always fuzzy. Because the real limitation for the "major" projects in NWA (such as I-540 and Hwy 412) is funding, which is outside of my department so to speak. Heck, in the next federal transportation re-authorization bill, AHTD could get a lot of funding for, say, the Hwy 412 Springdale bypass. If it did, than AHTD could move much faster on that project. If not, well...

Far-off "timeline" answers would not be on accurate here I think, so it wouldn't be prudent of me to speculate. Heck, even if you were to talk to the Highway Commissioners, or the Governor, or anyone else, I don't think they could give you an accurate answer, since those projects are so dependant on funding limitations. If you were to ask about which project(s), I might be able to provide you with my best answers, though they may be somewhat veiled and embedded PR speak!

Okay.

So if we see more money in the next Transportation Bill (Which I'm not sure when it will be), we could see these projects be completed within the next 10 years or so.

Well, it depends on which projects you mean, but that is a potential hypothetical possibility. Let's see, the last reauthorization bill will be in effect thru 2009 I think. But I've been told Congress can get "pork barrel" funds for projects before then, but the biggy is during reauthorization. (I'm not totally sure yet exactly how that happens). If the next Arkansas general assembly session, which I think meets early 2007, approves more funding or related legislation for transportation, NWA could definitely benefit.

Edited by itk

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of you all in NWA on this board might be interested in this-- the updated Arkansas highway plan (techincally a draft still) has been posted on the www.arkansashighways.com website front page (pdf). I didn't realize this was going to be made public so soon, but this may be of definite interest to some of you wondering what projects in NWA may get funded in the near future (10 years).

This study/plan document basically states, if you don't want to read it all, that there's about $19 billion of identified transportation needs in the next 10 years in Arkansas, and only about $4 billion of projected revenue (you can do the math, p. 51).

Additionally, it discusses future possible revenue sources that may, just may, get explored some by the next legislative session (pp.40-).

Finally, a 10-yr highway plan is outlined (pp.59-) that shows which projects (or portions thereof) are included in the plan, and further projects above and beyond that (unfunded) that may, just may, get funded in the 10 year time frame if new revenue sources become available.

Thought you all might be interested; though keep in mind this is just a plan, nothing definite or written in stone. Things change all the time, but as you can see, AHTD is definitely working hard on this, they don't have it easy with such limited funding (check out the chart on p.34)-- especially with construction costs continually going through the roof, and they try to address the major pressing needs in NWA as much as possible (such as Springdale bypass and I-540).

Thanks, itk.

Boy CONGRESS sure seems to love Arkansas. (being facetious).

On a serious note, look at page 11 (again, showing Congress' priorities)...look how so many roads lead to Texas, and how many of them would lead to a completed I-49/I-69 (the former through NWA).

Yesterday in the Demo-zette there was an editorial that talked about how the super-corridor highways between Mexico, Texas and Winnipeg (by way of Kansas City) were the buzz of the internet. Indeed, Texas has some interesting proposals, though who knows what will see the light of day.

When you look at that map, though, and look at the logically quickest highways from Winnipeg to KC to the gulf/Houston/mexican entry points at Laredo and/or the lower Rio Grande Valley...one still sees that road through McDonald County, around Bella Vista, etc.

This will be interesting to watch, if we're around to see any of it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

KNWA was reporting that a bill recently passed in Congress and in that bill was money for the 412 bypass. They didn't say how much funding was acquired but it made it sound like that basically that the 412 bypass is becoming more 'concrete'. I guess it's more of a question of when it will start.

KNWA was reporting that a bill recently passed in Congress and in that bill was money for the 412 bypass. They didn't say how much funding was acquired but it made it sound like that basically that the 412 bypass is becoming more 'concrete'. I guess it's more of a question of when it will start.

Must've been in the new Transportation Appropriations Bill... but, I can't find it in the reports or bills on the LOC website. Must've been a very recent addition-- I'd like to know how much they supposedly got.

Must've been in the new Transportation Appropriations Bill... but, I can't find it in the reports or bills on the LOC website. Must've been a very recent addition-- I'd like to know how much they supposedly got.

Yeah KNWA never gave much detailed info about it. Just said that funding had been approved in a recent bill that was passed.

I've decided to make a topic dedicated to completed road projects and transportation.

There's been plenty of projects that have been finished up in my neck of the woods that make my commute a lot quicker.

Walton Boulevard is now officially 5 lanes from I-540 past the Home Office, which makes my commute much shorter.

Double Turn Lanes off the Intersection off Walton and I-540 have been completed.

If anyone has completed road and transportation projects that have happened in the past few years in NWA, please list them.

Hmmm...now that I think about it I can't think of any road projects that have been finished down here in my part of the metro. Most of what I've heard about seems to be more of Bentonville/Rogers and maybe also a little bit of Springdale. But I don't recall any of the streets offhand.

Hmmm...now that I think about it I can't think of any road projects that have been finished down here in my part of the metro. Most of what I've heard about seems to be more of Bentonville/Rogers and maybe also a little bit of Springdale. But I don't recall any of the streets offhand.

The only major one I can think of right now is the widening of Gregg from Fulbright north to the existing 4-lanes (wasn't that opened real recently?).