Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

So, USC Upstate is looking to open a downtown Greenville campus (HJ article).

I'm sorry, but I have to vent about this. Why is this happening? Upstate says Greenville is under-served by their current presence at the University Center. Well, USC Upstate is Spartanburg's public undergrad university, not Greenville's. This all started with the name change several years back from USC Spartanburg. Is there not one thing we can have that Greenville doesn't? NC State doesn't have a Durham campus. UNCG doesn't have a Winston-Salem campus. It's only a 30 minute drive to USC Upstate from Greenville. It's not too much to ask for students to drive here or (gasp!) move to Spartanburg! I'm probably overreacting, but I don't really care. Plus Clemson is expanding their presence in downtown Greenville (and the main campus is not far away, not to mention ICAR). Is that not enough?

</rant>

Whether it's under the name of USC Upstate, or some other guise, it's still a state-supported 4-year institution, which Greenville currently lacks. If Greenville Tech transitioned into a 4 year school tomorrow, it would arguably impact Spartanburg no differently than this move. I think patience is in order to find out the true extent of what USC Upstate intends.

For the record, Clemson's programs in downtown Greenville will be graduate programs.

So, USC Upstate is looking to open a downtown Greenville campus (HJ article).

I'm sorry, but I have to vent about this. Why is this happening? Upstate says Greenville is under-served by their current presence at the University Center. Well, USC Upstate is Spartanburg's public undergrad university, not Greenville's. This all started with the name change several years back from USC Spartanburg. Is there not one thing we can have that Greenville doesn't? NC State doesn't have a Durham campus. UNCG doesn't have a Winston-Salem campus. It's only a 30 minute drive to USC Upstate from Greenville. It's not too much to ask for students to drive here or (gasp!) move to Spartanburg! I'm probably overreacting, but I don't really care. Plus Clemson is expanding their presence in downtown Greenville (and the main campus is not far away, not to mention ICAR). Is that not enough?

</rant>

My question is why does the state of South Carolina need to grow an already bloated publicly-funded higher education system?

Edited by roads-scholar

Back on the topic of the City's recreation amenities, the Herald-Journal had a good editorial about the Swim Center today. It suggests building a new, high-quality indoor swimming facility at a new recreation center (thus replacing both TK Gregg & the Swim Center). It also says that the county should be involved in helping fund the facility.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Back on the topic of the City's recreation amenities, the Herald-Journal had a good editorial about the Swim Center today. It suggests building a new, high-quality indoor swimming facility at a new recreation center (thus replacing both TK Gregg & the Swim Center). It also says that the county should be involved in helping fund the facility.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

I thought that the editorial made a lot of sense. With SC strict annexation laws the county and city should work together on projects like this. The seven school districts high school swim teams would also benefit from a new facility. Unfortunately, the new YMCA's lap pool will not accomodate large swim meets.

Whether it's under the name of USC Upstate, or some other guise, it's still a state-supported 4-year institution, which Greenville currently lacks. If Greenville Tech transitioned into a 4 year school tomorrow, it would arguably impact Spartanburg no differently than this move. I think patience is in order to find out the true extent of what USC Upstate intends.

For the record, Clemson's programs in downtown Greenville will be graduate programs.

When they changed the name of from USC Spartanburg to USC Upstate they said it was to embrace their role as the second largest university in the upstate and the regional nature of the student body. At the time, many people in Spartanburg thought it was pandering to Greenville and predicted that over time, a campus in Greenville would be created and the presence and necessity of the Spartanburg campus would be reduced.

I'm not in the camp that views the Greenville campus as a "threat" (so to speak), and quite frankly this development was inevitable. The University of South Carolina's mission is to serve the entire state. Greenville is the 3rd largest urban area and it lacks a 4-year public university. It's only logical that a USC campus exist there. The "Upstate" nomenclature acts as an umbrella allows them to accomplish this without having to create a USC Greenville (which would be viewed by Spartans as a big ole slap in the face).

Here's my logic though. It takes 30-45 minutes max to get to the USC Upstate campus or Clemson's campus from Greenville. The UNC Charlotte campus is 30-45 minutes away for most people in Charlotte unless you live in the University City area of town. I don't see that mount of time as being an unreasonable thing for someone in Greenville to do. But at any rate, I'll give props to USC for looking at establishing an urban campus instead of the suburban model of the USCS campus.

I've wondered this every since I moved to SC. USC has something like 9 or 10 campus locations......crazy for such a small state. Frankly, I'd be happy if USC did NOT build in Greenville. Seems like a waste and also, really not interested in seeing more ugly black and garnet chicken stuff. LOL.

I've wondered this every since I moved to SC. USC has something like 9 or 10 campus locations......crazy for such a small state. Frankly, I'd be happy if USC did NOT build in Greenville. Seems like a waste and also, really not interested in seeing more ugly black and garnet chicken stuff. LOL.

Again I ask: why does the state of South Carolina need to grow an already bloated publicly-funded higher education system?

We have an intern in house here at my business and she told me the other day thats its 14K per year at Upstate. She is a freshman from Easley, SC and told me that unless you are from Spartanburg you have to live on campus as a freshman. Is that a bunch of crap or what?

As an aside, I graduated from then USC-S back in 1988 and never paid more than $500 per semester and lived at home.

Its no wonder the country is headed toward the crapper with advanced eduacation becoming more than the middle class can bear to pay.

We have an intern in house here at my business and she told me the other day thats its 14K per year at Upstate. She is a freshman from Easley, SC and told me that unless you are from Spartanburg you have to live on campus as a freshman. Is that a bunch of crap or what?

As an aside, I graduated from then USC-S back in 1988 and never paid more than $500 per semester and lived at home.

Its no wonder the country is headed toward the crapper with advanced eduacation becoming more than the middle class can bear to pay.

Part of the reason, S-man, that the costs of higher education has risen astronomically, is the frenzied proliferation of colleges and college campuses, not only here in South Carolina but across the nation. When USC-Spartanburg (sorry Greenville) was established in 1967 the proliferation was just beginning. It all began with "tech" schools (today's SCC), mammoth expansions of the big schools like USC and Clemson, branch campuses, for profit institutions, and so on.

Why the University of South Carolina system needs the number of campuses across the state, each one competing for precious resources, amazes me. Each of these campuses continue to add costly programs (academic and athletic), faculty, and facilities in an effort to compete with each other and other colleges.

Regarding USC-Upstate, I find the arguments for establishing a larger presence in Greenville at this time disingenuous. Sorry, Greenville posters, spending more money to expand USC-Upstate in your town right now is foolish and a waste of money. The physical plant at upstate's main campus has plenty of space for expansion if the "need" arises. While I love having "The George" in downtown Spartanburg, one has to wonder if putting another campus there was really necessary. It has to cost taxpayers a fortune to keep that facility and all the other facilities maintained.

Finally, how much higher can tuition rise before the system begins to crash? Not only at USC-Upstate, but in the state of South Carolina and across the nation.

So, the Clarion (formerly Radisson & Wilson World) at I-26 and Bus-85 is apparently closed. Bank of America has brought a lawsuit against the owners for defaulting on their loan. I hope someone competent can buy the hotel. It's really pretty nice.

Herald-Journal article

This really is a nice hotel. I hope its purchased by someone who will invest and improve the property. A worst case scenario would be if someone bought the place and "downmarketed" it by flagging it with a budget brand.

I wonder if the group of execs at Extended Stay under GDJ and now backed by him at OTO would be interested. They don't even own a hotel in SC at this point.

http://otodevelopment.com/

Looking at OTO's website it appears they focus on developing properties in high-visibilty, somewhat upscale locations.

Again I ask: why does the state of South Carolina need to grow an already bloated publicly-funded higher education system?

In addition to what has been said above, USC's core mission is to provide higher education opportunities to everyone in South Carolina. The branch campuses are a key component to that mission. Greenville has a lack of a 4-year public institution, so it's only natural that USC Upstate fill that void. More so since the University Center can only handle so much of that demand.

• 3 weeks later...

As you may have heard/read, Rome nightclub has been sold to former Dorman & NFL football player Ryan Sims. He's apparently renaming it Six (actually "VI"), which refers to Sims being selected 6th overall in the 2002 NFL draft. He plans to reopen around Memorial Day. Here's the new club's website. Hope this works out better than Rome.

Herald-Journal article

• 3 weeks later...

Several days ago, Google Maps added new overhead satellite imagery east of Hillcrest/Cedar Springs. They haven't updated the rest of the area yet. However, I noticed yesterday that they did add brand new 45-degree angled imagery (if you zoom-in some) throughout Spartanburg! I waste way too much time on Google Maps, so I'm pretty excited about this. The old satellite imagery is over 7 years old, so it's about time. Here's a before-and-after example of the vastly improved and updated imagery.

post-24605-0-63585300-1338040956_thumb.j post-24605-0-56075400-1338040969_thumb.j

A few items from the H-J. First, Club Six has its soft opening tonight (article). I certainly wish them success.

Secondly, Johnson Development has sold its area Haven apartment complexes to an NYC investment company in order to develop new multifamily properties in higher profit areas, specifically DC (article). Awesome. I'm so glad they're bailing on their home market of Spartanburg to chase the $$$ in DC. That $36.9 million from the sale could go much further here than in DC.

Secondly, Johnson Development has sold its area Haven apartment complexes to an NYC investment company in order to develop new multifamily properties in higher profit areas, specifically DC (article). Awesome. I'm so glad they're bailing on their home market of Spartanburg to chase the $$$ in DC. That $36.9 million from the sale could go much further here than in DC.

If they remain headquartered in Spartanburg, then it could be better for the city in the long term.

^ I agree. Johnson has literally spent millions upon millions investing in Spartanburg. I don't think this is a sign that anything is changing. He just knows how to make money, and there is plenty to be made in the DC housing market.

Several days ago, Google Maps added new overhead satellite imagery east of Hillcrest/Cedar Springs. They haven't updated the rest of the area yet. However, I noticed yesterday that they did add brand new 45-degree angled imagery (if you zoom-in some) throughout Spartanburg! I waste way too much time on Google Maps, so I'm pretty excited about this. The old satellite imagery is over 7 years old, so it's about time. Here's a before-and-after example of the vastly improved and updated imagery.

post-24605-0-63585300-1338040956_thumb.j post-24605-0-56075400-1338040969_thumb.j

Thanks for posting this. I've been annoyed for a long time that Google hasn't updated the aerial imagery in Spartanburg. The obliques are the next best thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but there was a great editorial by O'Neal Mintz in the paper this morning.

He talks about Belmont, NC and how they've focused on making their community walkable, have a TND ordinance for new development, have nearly 100% of downtown space leased, have parks and walking routes, etc. The idea is that we can apply those principles of focusing on downtown development, prioritizing the pedestrian experience, and instituting a progressive development code to our area, as well. For instance, he poses the question: what if Boiling Springs had an identifiable, walkable center?

Anyway, it's a good read. I may have misjudged this guy.

• Like 1