Spartanburg Off-Topic

Spartan

Greenville and Charleston seem to be getting by just fine. Oh, and the entire state of North Carolina. I would argue that there are even MORE people going out than before. It may or may not be related to smoking, but the new laws haven't hurt anything.

I have been to Delaneys maybe once in the past few years, and I reeked of cigarettes afterward (and my car for a couple of days). On September 2, I may make it a point to go back in there. Until then, Main St Pub is the only place for me.

Yeah, Delaneys is a terrific place with good food too. But the smoke is a major turnoff for me. I'd rather walk next door and endure the bedlam at Wild Wing than breath smoke.

Also keep in mind that a major player in Spartanburg, Wade's restaurant, banned smoking several years ago. Has it hurt their business?

My personal feeling is that a year from now EVERYONE will look back and agree that banning smoking was a good thing for Spartanburg.

Yeah, Delaneys is a terrific place with good food too. But the smoke is a major turnoff for me. I'd rather walk next door and endure the bedlam at Wild Wing than breath smoke.

Also keep in mind that a major player in Spartanburg, Wade's restaurant, banned smoking several years ago. Has it hurt their business?

My personal feeling is that a year from now EVERYONE will look back and agree that banning smoking was a good thing for Spartanburg.

I agree 100%. Also looking forward to a Nu Way burger.

After the city council meeting I talked with one of the owners of Delaney's. (not Kevin Moore) He said it would kill his business. When I disagreed, he got really pissed at me. He said if I did not like second hand smoke, I should not come into his business. He also said that 50% of the people that come downtown are smokers. When I said that maybe with the new law more folks will venture downtown. He then got more pissed off. When I suggested that most people visiting Spartanburg expect non-smoking, he said Delaney's did not cater to visitors. I guess those people here for weddings and college events never go into Delaney's??? Kevin and Harry are great behind the bar at Delaney's, so I will go back.....even more so after September 1.

I agree 100%. Also looking forward to a Nu Way burger.

After the city council meeting I talked with one of the owners of Delaney's. (not Kevin Moore) He said it would kill his business. When I disagreed, he got really pissed at me. He said if I did not like second hand smoke, I should not come into his business. He also said that 50% of the people that come downtown are smokers. When I said that maybe with the new law more folks will venture downtown. He then got more pissed off. When I suggested that most people visiting Spartanburg expect non-smoking, he said Delaney's did not cater to visitors. I guess those people here for weddings and college events never go into Delaney's??? Kevin and Harry are great behind the bar at Delaney's, so I will go back.....even more so after September 1.

He can choose to:

Close the business

Move to the county

Move to another city

But my guess is that a year from now Delaney's and everyone else will agree that banning cigarette smoking actually had a POSITIVE impact on their business.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This article in the Herald-Journal, along with the councilman's altercation at Rome, continues to highlight the "conspiracy" against that club. I don't think a separate organization is needed- the Downtown Business Association can do the same thing. But I hope he succeeds in his endeavors, and that Rome is a wildly successful place that continues to draw in people to downtown.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110707/ARTICLES/110709758/0/articles?p=1&tc=pg

The following City Council Advisory Boards have vacancies. Both are directly related to the subject matter that we discuss here on Urban Planet.

• Board of Architectural Design and Review Board (five vacancies)
  • Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee (seven vacancies)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.....What the He*& is going on with Spartanburg County Government???? Latest shoe to drop is the resignation of Marchioli after a "preliminary financial report" is presented to council. I keep waiting for the Herald Journal to do some, you know, actual investigative reporting on all the turmoil, but none seems to be forthcoming. Anyone have any insight? Im just a local citizen who moved back to Spartanburg 5 years ago and have been reading the boards for the last couple years to stay informed. I am a parent and professional and am so discouraged to see the constant amateur hour of our county government with a citizenry that doesnt seem to care??

Viking 1988 most on this forum do care very much; unfortunately, most citizens do not. Spartanburg County and City have historically had bad leadership and both continue to hold Spartanburg back. The good old boy system is alive and well here with no end in sight. Until new aggressive, visionary leadership governs nothing will change. The City and County will continue to loose significance in the region and State.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.....What the He*& is going on with Spartanburg County Government???? Latest shoe to drop is the resignation of Marchioli after a "preliminary financial report" is presented to council. I keep waiting for the Herald Journal to do some, you know, actual investigative reporting on all the turmoil, but none seems to be forthcoming. Anyone have any insight? Im just a local citizen who moved back to Spartanburg 5 years ago and have been reading the boards for the last couple years to stay informed. I am a parent and professional and am so discouraged to see the constant amateur hour of our county government with a citizenry that doesnt seem to care??

I care but am confused over why so much turmoil at the county. The "professional" managers who county council hires are paid handsomely but for whatever reason they leave.

I think the public has a right to know why these people are resigning.

Must disagree with the comment(s) about "bad leadership". The county council may have a couple of less than visionary members but David Britt and Jeff Horton care deeply about good governance and the future of Spartanburg County. Both work long hours promoting our community and I'm certain are much concerned about the management turnover down at the county administrative building.

Having said that, council is ultimately responsible for getting these problems corrected and I would expect Messrs. Britt and Horton along with the other council members to get to the bottom of this. With an anticipated $700,000 budget shortfall looming time is short.

Edited by roads-scholar

I care but am confused over why so much turmoil at the county. The "professional" managers who county council hires are paid handsomely but for whatever reason they leave.

Thanks for responding. I think the key her is "for some reason they leave" Just trying to read between the lines, maybe they (the managers) leave because the council is so dysfunctional and they become frustrated at their lack of ability for any real progress or reform. Hoping that the near future brings some stability and fiscal accountability so we as a community can move forward.

Good example in today's paper: Somehow the county cant find a way to work with the Humane Society to take in strays. I mean, how complicated could this be? Noncontroversial it would seem. But it is about money, and the county really has no plan for increasing its tax base or tax revenue, hence this seemingly straightforward governing task is a mess.

Yet another example would be article in the paper regarding long lines at gas stations (offering low prices) blocking neighborhood access in Boiling Springs. Could this be poor, or non existing zoning at play??

I went by Cleveland Park and was surprised to see the entire fenced area still closed. After the train wreck the playground equipment was removed and the park essentially closed. Does anyone know if the park plans to reopen or if the County has any effort to move past the accident and reopen the Park? It seems as if everything takes forever to move forward in Spartanburg!

Good example in today's paper: Somehow the county cant find a way to work with the Humane Society to take in strays. I mean, how complicated could this be? Noncontroversial it would seem. But it is about money, and the county really has no plan for increasing its tax base or tax revenue, hence this seemingly straightforward governing task is a mess.

Yet another example would be article in the paper regarding long lines at gas stations (offering low prices) blocking neighborhood access in Boiling Springs. Could this be poor, or non existing zoning at play??

It could be the lack of zoning, but most likely not. IMO it's a combination of things. Usually DOT's have a "controlled access" area around interstate exits, which prevents driveways and other things from being built that could disrupt the flow of traffic. That side street, Candlenut Lane, wouldn't have the same rules. Candlenut is also a dead-end street. If the County required developers to connect to each others' subdivisions then they would have multiple ways to access Hwy 9.

People make such a big deal about issues like this, and zoning is one tool that could certainly have helped. Honestly, I wouldn't want to invest in an area where I didn't have some security in knowing what could be built around me.

• 1 month later...

So, apparently Spartanburg is the 8th most dangerous city in the US.

WSPA article

What should be done about this? Because this kind of thing definitely hurts our image to outsiders (prospective companies, visitors, etc).

Personally, I've both driven and run all over the city and rarely feel unsafe. Sure there are some bad spots to avoid, but every city has those. I once took a wrong turn on the west-side of Greenville, and that area was pretty sketchy.

I suspect part of the problem is our small city limits. That magnifies any crime, since it's measured on a per-capita basis (which explains "Center City" as a crime hot spot in that study--few residents). If we could annex more residents into the city, it would "dilute" the crime numbers. Obviously greater police presence would help, too. Any other ideas, opinions, or analysis?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The City sent out a press release about the City Fire Department (posted on Spartanburg Spark) maintaining its Class 2 Public Protection Classification, which means that they provide an excellent level of fire protection. That's certainly good.

However, the main thing I noticed was later on where they mentioned that because of the high rating, city residents enjoy significant savings on property insurance premiums compared to non-city residents (several hundred $ per year). This is the sort of thing the City should really publicize to "sell" annexation to residents just outside the city limits.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this (video) story online at WYFF4.com that I was really encouraged by. It's about a neighborhood store on Collins Ave. They don't sell alcohol or lottery tickets, and the owner gives money to local kids who make A's on their report cards. He's really making a positive impact in a community that certainly needs it. Great to see.

I saw this (video) story online at WYFF4.com that I was really encouraged by. It's about a neighborhood store on Collins Ave. They don't sell alcohol or lottery tickets, and the owner gives money to local kids who make A's on their report cards. He's really making a positive impact in a community that certainly needs it. Great to see.

Great story. I wasn't sure where Collins Ave. is, so I looked it up on mapquest. For those who don't know, it's a block north of Duncan Park.

• 2 weeks later...

The City of Spartanburg is holding a public forum on Monday, March 19 at 5:30 pm at Bethel United Methodist Church about "Quality of Life Amenities" (i.e. parks, greenways, recreation facilities, etc). They basically want public input on how the City's money should be spent as it relates to these items. Here's a PDF of current "QOL" spending from the City's website.

Just a few highlights. The report recommends building a new TK Gregg Recreation Center on the Northside (I've heard near the VCOM as a possibility), then closing the current TK Gregg & Northside Rec Center (basically consolidating to save on maintenance costs and get more usage). It also recommends closing the Swim Center. Those are the big things. Lots of other info, as well.

Anyway, I encourage you to attend the meeting if you can.