Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Pembroke Mall has updated their site plan on the website. I called to get more info but as to be expected they are pretty mum. Go here and under the leasing drop down menu, select site plans. Looks more like smaller shops though and no big box type of retail. (ala Target). :(

How many square feet is Kohls? Isn't a normal Target roughly the same size? I may be wrong because I haven't seen Kohls in such a long time, but there are several 25K square foot spaces, one of which may be Target. We can keep our hopes up for this one!

The Khols at Pembroke is actually smaller than most Targets I have been to. Unfortunately, 25k feet is much too small for a Target.

I've often thought that Target should develop a smaller boutique store model that can be introduced in older "main street" towns where the demand for discount products exists, but the space for a suburban-model store is not. The smaller Target could be called Bullseye.

How many square feet is Kohls? Isn't a normal Target roughly the same size? I may be wrong because I haven't seen Kohls in such a long time, but there are several 25K square foot spaces, one of which may be Target. We can keep our hopes up for this one!

Most Targets are over 100,000 SF. Of all the Kohl's I've been to, I'd say none were near the size of a Target.

I do like Lammius' idea for a smaller format target in urban environments. I think many large change would do well using a similar concept.

Are there any renderings of what the back end of the mall will look like?

And I remember seeing that there was a planned block in town center that would have a cinema complex, i think it was the block right in front of the westin's main entrance. I think they cancelled it but I'm not sure if they're bringing that back up again.

^ Yeah, the cinema concept was dropped was also what I heard. It would be great if they could get a theatre there esp if they are closing the Pembroke Mall location. I think an indepedent theatre would be a great addition for the city. I haven't see any renderings for the back of the mall.

Edited by urbanvb

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the Virginia main forum but i'll post it in Va. Beach and Norfolk as well since it really talks about both of these cities.

Virginia retail rebounds, takes on new look

The revival in Virginia downtowns from coastal Norfolk to mountainous Marion is a growing success story, despite one lagging component.

“Retail,” says Roger Elkin, vice president of Hall Associates in Roanoke, “has been a tough sell.” While vendors vie for space at Roanoke’s city market and Norfolk managed to land an entire mall for its downtown, other cities struggle to attract retail, despite the growing cache of urban dwellers.

• 3 weeks later...

Chic sushi invades Town Center

WHEN ZUSHI BISTRO opened, it brought chic sushi to Virginia Beach's Town Center. Chef owner Kevin Chang is known for his fare.

The spacious restaurant, outfitted with wood, pendant lighting and modern art, is open for lunch and dinner. On our lunch visit, there was a bustling business clientele.

The lunch menu is set up with a variety of choices so you can try a little of everything.

Zushi bar lunch special of sushi and sashimi ($14) delivered an attractive array of fresh fish, negari - fish atop rice - and seaweed roll. Finely grated daichon flavored with sriracha hot chili sauce added simple adornment and a nice kick atop the flounder. White tuna, torched to a golden hue, added a unique texture to the melt-in-your-mouth morsel.

• 5 weeks later...

I like that last picture, promise you will take another from there once the spire is complete. That view really shows off the height compared to the AH tower.

Also, is there an upscale supermarket planned for TC? Once people move into the Westin, that would seem like the perfect fit. Whole Foods would be my choice.

Forget Whole Foods... Bring in a Wegmans! If you don't know what it is, I can only descibe it as the grocery super store... They have tons of specialy items, a cafe to DIE for, and everything you could ever need to buy, including imported things from all over...

Wegmans are really neat stores but I doubt they would come here. They prefer the upper crust (way upper) consumers who have plenty of disposable income. I do believe TC is wanting a food store now that you mention it but I haven't heard an update in a good while.

Edited by urbanvb

I have never been to a Wegmans, but Whole Foods has a variety of different scales of stores. The main one here in downtown Austin has everything you could want. There are three or four places in the store to sit and eat foods made on premises. I have never not been able to find anything I have wanted, items you can't find anywhere else, even at some other Whole Foods locations. The city will really have to push hard to get that type of store in TC, whether it's a Wegmans or Whole Foods.

I have never been to a Wegmans, but Whole Foods has a variety of different scales of stores. The main one here in downtown Austin has everything you could want. There are three or four places in the store to sit and eat foods made on premises. I have never not been able to find anything I have wanted, items you can't find anywhere else, even at some other Whole Foods locations. The city will really have to push hard to get that type of store in TC, whether it's a Wegmans or Whole Foods.

The nearest grocery store to my apt is a Whole Foods. Which is annoying since I have to drive past it to get to the Giant that I actually shop at. Dunno what scale of Whole Foods I have. But I swear it's nothing but stuff for vegetarians. Everything is organic, or made of soy. Great if I wanna make a salad, I guess.

But otherwise, completely useless to me.

Whole Foods has lots of meats and non-veg food. Their only gimmick is that most things are organic (unless they're labeled "conventional," and there are lots of "conventional" products). I got a couple dozen clams at the Whole Foods in my neighborhood the other day. My problem with Whole Foods is that they're so fricken expensive!

Whole Foods stores do vary in size and amenities. There are two Whole Foods stores close to where I live. One is in walking distance and I only shop there when I don't want to walk farther to Kings (another overpriced supermarket) or drive to the cheaper A&P or ShopRite (the Food Lions of NJ). The one in walking distance is tiny, no salad bar or prepared foods sections. There's another one 2 miles away in a shopping center that is HUGE. They have an enormous salad bar, dessert bar, Indian food bar, Southern food bar, prepared foods all over the place, dine-in seating, even a clothing section (is this the new Wal-Mart or what?).

But like I said it's sooo bloody expensive! The food bars cost $7.99 a pound. Recently I filled up a medium sized container with some spinach and field greens, light veggies, and just a scoop and a half of chicken tikka masala. I went to the register and my medium sized meal cost nearly $13. I could've gotten a huge Indian take-out meal for $6.99 at an Indian fast food joint down the street. Grrrrrr.

Anyway, point of the story, Whole Foods is an interesting market, their stores vary greatly in how large they are and what things they stock or provide, and it's EXPENSIVE! Honestly, for an "organic" market I prefer Trader Joe's. They're cheaper and have more pre-packaged stuff (which works well for a lazy 20-something who doesn't require "fresh ingredients" for everything he makes. There isn't a Trader Joe's in the town I live in, but I go to the one near my workplace all the time, even just to pick up something for lunch that I can microwave when I get back to the office.

Wegmans is a cool place. It's a lot like the mammoth Whole Foods I described in that they have tons of prepared food options and you can go there to dine-in.

I think HR is ready to graduate from having only Food Lion and BE-LO.

Anyone else notice the space that sat empty for many years beside Michael's crafts store on Constitution is being torn down. Wonder what is going there? There is a sign on VB Blvd advertising for retail there, I believe about 15(0?)k sq feet. I do hope it's not another strip center like the old Pizza Hut site nearby.

Edited by urbanvb

Anyone else notice the space that sat empty for many years beside Michael's crafts store on Constitution is being torn down. Wonder what is going there? There is a sign on VB Blvd advertising for retail there, I believe about 15(0?)k sq feet. I do hope it's not another strip center like the old Pizza Hut site nearby.

If it's the sign I'm thinking of doesn't that sign indeed have a rendering of a strip mall on front of it?

If it's the sign I'm thinking of doesn't that sign indeed have a rendering of a strip mall on front of it?

Is that where KMart is/used to be and the auto shop used to be? It faces the Khols at Pembroke Mall? If that is the case then yes, that sign has been there for years now and it is a shopping center...