Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

How big is this Kroger (or Trader Joes) supposed to be? They've cleared land all the way up to independence. :shok: (the bank is of course still there but the land between the bank and the vitamin shoppe strip center has been cleared).

I noticed the same thing. I am surprised the newspaper hasn't reported on this development. Doesn't anyone else wanna know just what is being built there?

a shopping center??? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the TC?

As stated in an article that is posted earlier in this thread (i believe) Divaris and the city was trying to get the developer (sifen) to develop his property in a manner that compliments City Walk. The developer postponed his plans for a year but in March refiled plans for a traditional strip center. Shortsighted and annoying yes but I do not consider it a defeat for TC. You're always gonna have a few stragglers **cough**the pilot, FX **cough** but I think the more urban projects that actually come online that attitude will change somewhat.

I remember seeing the originial plans for town center and the strip of land between the Wachovia and Starbuck was a street, I believe, named Pocahontas.

Hey, what if it all part of citywalk now and they just haven't told us yet. :) Wishful thinking, I know.

I so hope that's true but i'm not going to hold my breath.

Shoot, if I was the Virginian-Pilot I'd be holding out too. They can get a much higher price for their property once all the other parcels of Town Center are built out.

Agree. Really, they would be an idiot to sell now. That being said it is just a matter of time when the money is right.

I wonder if the Pilot is shrewd in holding out or are they just not a proponent of TC? Landmark owns the Pilot. AH, VB, and Divaris offered to build Trader, also owned by Landmark, a tower at TC which was turned down because of traffic issues. (As if downtown doesn't have traffic problems.) Anyway, the Beacon building was never mentioned as a possible location for such a tower although that land is owned by Landmark. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Trader Square was built, but I hope it was a purely business decision (tax incentives, less expensive to build/operate, less distrubance to employees, etc.) and not a commentary on what they think of TC. Their editorials at times seem to praise it, then later poke fun at it.

I liken the Pilot building and Taco Bell to the upgrading of hotels in the area. At the Oceanfront quite a few of the older hotels have been upgraded since the 31st Hilton came online and some have even been torn down for new and grander hotels to be built. So as time goes by and TC begins to fill up (as well as areas surrounding TC) I think the pressure will be on to develop these properties in like manner.

What would you think of IKEA in VB? I was talking to a friend of mine and she was saying that her friend (a BIG fan of IKEA) heard a rumor that IKEA was going to build a store on the old HQ property. I said that City Walk was happening so I didn't believe it but now I come back and think, didn't someone in this forum mention that they have torn down all the trees next to where Kroger used to be? That is a LARGE piece of land, so maybe there is some truth to the idea? Who knows, its a complete rumor, heard from a friend of a friend... Would be cool though!

What would you think of IKEA in VB? I was talking to a friend of mine and she was saying that her friend (a BIG fan of IKEA) heard a rumor that IKEA was going to build a store on the old HQ property. I said that City Walk was happening so I didn't believe it but now I come back and think, didn't someone in this forum mention that they have torn down all the trees next to where Kroger used to be? That is a LARGE piece of land, so maybe there is some truth to the idea? Who knows, its a complete rumor, heard from a friend of a friend... Would be cool though!

Ikea could very well be "part of" City Walk since they are trying to fill almost 400,000sq ft of space. I can tell you for fact that it will not be the only thing going on the HQ property when it is torn down. It is a possibility that I kea would go into to whatever Sifen is building. I am a bit miffed that there is as yet no news about what exactly is being built on that property. It should be public knowledge by now but aI can't even find any site plans.

Ikea typically builds in outlying urban areas (think suburban DC - Woodbridge) and quite honestly I have doubts they are looking at our market. They usually go after the well-heeled areas (Austin, DC, Baltimore) and also are usually quite large and require a lot of room for parking.

Ikea typically builds in outlying urban areas (think suburban DC - Woodbridge) and quite honestly I have doubts they are looking at our market. They usually go after the well-heeled areas (Austin, DC, Baltimore) and also are usually quite large and require a lot of room for parking.

Part of the City Walk plans do call for a regional center/dept. store type anchor though. They could fit the bill.

They have a parking garage at the one in Nova. I worked on it doing electrical work. They might not be telling you who is there because they don't have any tenants lined up yet.

I think the site along independence is part of Sifens site. Sl Nusbaum is handling leasing for both and is advertising 49,000 sq ft of retail space on that particular lot. It's definately exciting to see such a volume of construction going on in the Pembroke area (even if it does turn out to be just another strip center <_< ).

I think the site along independence is part of Sifens site. Sl Nusbaum is handling leasing for both and is advertising 49,000 sq ft of retail space on that particular lot. It's definately exciting to see such a volume of construction going on in the Pembroke area (even if it does turn out to be just another strip center <_< ).

I just can't understand why someone would even want to build this with what is going to be built. I think it would make us look so stupid. I know the city can't do anything but still.............. :angry:

I just can't understand why someone would even want to build this with what is going to be built. I think it would make us look so stupid. I know the city can't do anything but still.............. :angry:

Not every piece of land can be a high-rise. There just isn't enough demand. And letting it sit idle isn't generating the owner any money. But give it 20 years when TC and City Walk are built out and when Pembroke Office Park has undergone some redevelopement, then whoever is the owner at that time will decide upward is good economics. Not everyone is a visionary; some are there for the quick buck like the FX owner. If it made financial sense to them to go up, they would but the market isn't there right now. Let them cash in until something better comes along.

Not every piece of land can be a high-rise. There just isn't enough demand. And letting it sit idle isn't generating the owner any money. But give it 20 years when TC and City Walk are built out and when Pembroke Office Park has undergone some redevelopement, then whoever is the owner at that time will decide upward is good economics. Not everyone is a visionary; some are there for the quick buck like the FX owner. If it made financial sense to them to go up, they would but the market isn't there right now. Let them cash in until something better comes along.

I agree. It only takes time as the market heats up and eventually space is at a premium. That is when we can expect to see some changes. Right now there is space available but give it a few years.

Shops at Town(e?) Center? :blink:

Yes, e included. In the ODU market study Sifens project is listed as shops at town Center minus the e, so who knows which one is right. Perhaps the city didn't want them claiming to actually be part of Town Center so they made them add an e. :lol:

Do you all think an "Urban Entertainment Center" would fit in well in the Pembroke/TC area. Something like Gameworks, Dave & Busters, or something of the sort. It would make so much sense being that it likens itself to the family atmosphere during the day & an adult atmosphere during the night.

What does everyone think Pembroke mall is missing? What stores would make it considered a stronger mall?

Edited by occasio