Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Looks like a planet smoothie is coming to TC. Don't know the location, perhaps the space formerly occupied by D' Mustard? :unsure: At any rate, details are short and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been officially announced yet.

Hilltop Smoothie Inc., doing business as Planet Smoothie Cafe, signed a lease for 1,300 square feet at the Town Center of Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach. Gerald Divaris and Erica Meekins negotiated the lease for the landlord.

I went by Pembroke Mall last night looking for a gift. Anyway, I noticed the temporary wall was gone which is the gateway for the new wing, Pembroke Promenade. In it's place was a regular wall of windows and a couple of sets of doors. I asked about it and was told the blueprints are about done but they decided to go ahead and use the parking lot - hopefully for not too long. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as how VB is having a tough time drawing high end retail, I think it would be interesting to know how well or umm so well some of the higher end retail is doing in our area. For instance, Banana Republic at Lynnhaven seems to do a decent business and one of the managers there was telling me it was quite a profitable store. But in some ways it seems Norfolk is doing better in terms of higher end retail such as those stores located in MacArthur Mall. The only Apple store decided to go there, not VB. But perhaps the urban location had something to do with their decision. But there are other stores there as well that are no where else in our region such as Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, etc. Lynnhaven had a Bombay but recently they went out of business. There is still one in MacArthur. Lynnhaven Mall had a great men's shoe store for a few years (forgot the name but they sold higher end shoes) but they too went out of business close to a year ago. The Town Center draws folks from all across the region yet they struggle to get any higher end retail there. The have a watered down Brooks Brothers store and a few other locally owned clothing stores yet really nothing else to appeal to the sophiscated shopper. Anyway, I guess this more of a rant so I will get off my soapbox now.

Seeing as how VB is having a tough time drawing high end retail, I think it would be interesting to know how well or umm so well some of the higher end retail is doing in our area. For instance, Banana Republic at Lynnhaven seems to do a decent business and one of the managers there was telling me it was quite a profitable store. But in some ways it seems Norfolk is doing better in terms of higher end retail such as those stores located in MacArthur Mall. The only Apple store decided to go there, not VB. But perhaps the urban location had something to do with their decision. But there are other stores there as well that are no where else in our region such as Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, etc. Lynnhaven had a Bombay but recently they went out of business. There is still one in MacArthur. Lynnhaven Mall had a great men's shoe store for a few years (forgot the name but they sold higher end shoes) but they too went out of business close to a year ago. The Town Center draws folks from all across the region yet they struggle to get any higher end retail there. The have a watered down Brooks Brothers store and a few other locally owned clothing stores yet really nothing else to appeal to the sophiscated shopper. Anyway, I guess this more of a rant so I will get off my soapbox now.

I feel your pain, lol. Unfortunately, I do remember an article a few years back in which Divaris directly addressed this problem and he said politics had a lot to do with it. I really hope that's not still the case but the adversarial relationship that exist between Va. Beach and Norfolk at times does not help in that department. It may also be a case of "perceived" retail saturation. Whatever the case I hope something breaks soon or it is gonna be one dull year for VB. (Note to VB: If you hop on this light rail bandwagon retailers will flock to Pembroke like flies to...well... you know. Just a thought. :D )

Southeast Retail outlook

The success of retailers in this part of the country has led to mixed-use developments opening across the region like The Town Center of Virginia Beach in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and the Oyster Point City Center in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. “The success of these mixed-use developments has spurred that kind of development in the Richmond, Virginia, market,” Divaris says.

However, these mixed-use developments have not hindered the success of big box retailers in the area, hence the formation of the power town. One such power town is The Marquis in Williamsburg, Virginia, a 1 million-square-foot development anchored by Kohl’s, Target, JC Penney and Best Buy that is scheduled to open in fall 2007. Another power town is Landstown Commons in Virginia Beach, a 475,000-square-foot development anchored by Kohl’s, Best Buy and Ross Dress For Less, which will also open in fall 2007.

With the vast amount of retail development occurring in the Mid-Atlantic region, developers must stay ahead of the curve to keep pace. “That’s the greatest challenge facing retail developers in this region,” Divaris says. “With the rapid growth of residential communities in the Mid-Atlantic region, more subdivisions are being developed in outlying areas. Consequently, developers are purchasing sites ahead of the growth curve, anticipating being well located in the future. This adds an additional level of risk to the development process.”

One of those outlying markets that has taken off is the Hampton Roads area. “The retail climate in the Hampton Roads area is extremely active with retailers showing good increases in sales while the population and incomes continue to grow,” Divaris says. The strongest markets for retail growth in Hampton Roads are Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Newport News and Williamsburg.

The retail market in the Mid-Atlantic is strong and looks to remain strong into next year. “It will continue to remain buoyant in 2007 with additional growth and several new developments being announced. Population and income levels will continue to rise and retail, as usual, will follow,” Divaris says.

Hmm....You wouldn't think it by the trouble they're having. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Parisian is going to be killed off. Belk, which bought the chain from Saks, is planning to convert all stores to the Belk nameplate. However, it looks like the clothing mix won't change. Should be weird seeing two types of Belks: one at the level of the old May Company meaning between JCPenney and Macy's and the other competing at the level of Dillard's.

But, what I'm most excited about...

Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant!!! I love them. Great food, killer margaritas. Big Night Life- Margaritas on tap, DJ, Dance at night.

YGTBSM. As someone who was raised on Mexican food, I have to think you must not be expecting Mexican food in that particular Mexican restaurant. But, given what items you mentioned (margaritas, twice, "night life", DJs, Dance), then the food thing was just a throw-away, wasn't it? That has to be the most god-awful faux Mexican food I have ever tasted. If they were as good as Baja Fresh, then they would have improved by a factor of 2.

I wonder if they make the 50% drinks/food ratio to keep their liquor license?

I go out of may way to go to locally owned restaurants; however Guadalajara would not be one of them, at least not for the food, atmosphere, drinks are great...I still go, I just don't eat the food! This is not opinioin by the way, once you've traveled and or had good mexican/southwest you would know the difference ;)

There's good Mexican food in HR? C'mon. Maybe Colley Cantina or Luna Maya. (Funny, though, how reviewers on citysearch and yahoo travel give Guad high marks even on food.) The only reason HR Mexican places serve food is to balance the margarita sales. So let's focus on the real reason Guad is coming to TC: to sell its margaritas to the booming upscale social scene. And I rather see a local place like Guad come instead of another Don Pablo's or a Chevy's, which just expanded into NoVa and will likely move to Baltimore, Richmond, and HR in the not so distant future considering the dearth of upscale Fresh Mex places.

There's good Mexican food in HR?

It was a sad commentary when I said that Baja Fresh might be the best Mexican food in HR. The only passable place (Pancho Villa's) just closed. Luna Maya and Colley Cantina are OK -- LM is a little too upscale. The imitation SoCal burrito joint in the old Taco Bell on Independance isn't bad -- just a very limited menu. Ah, if only for a Roberto's Taco Stand, open 24 hours...... Or a Rubio's!

Also a sad commentary that I look forward to my NoVa trips to go to Chevy's (the fact there aren't in any Texas should tell you plenty). The best in NoVa is Rio Grande Cafe, which also has a place in Richmond. You have to know that in my family, traditional Christmas Eve dinner is tamales, chili (no beans!), Rotel dip, chips, guacamole, tortillas -- and don't screw with traditions like that.

Guadalajara serves their tamales wrapped in aluminum foil. There is a cell in Guantanamo for people who do that.

I go out of may way to go to locally owned restaurants; however Guadalajara would not be one of them, at least not for the food, atmosphere, drinks are great...I still go, I just don't eat the food! This is not opinioin by the way, once you've traveled and or had good mexican/southwest you would know the difference ;)

You're probably right, just as I can say for Italian food. But now that I think about it, I haven't be to Guad's is a long time. The last time was in fact for margaritas. :) When I get Mexican I usually go to Plaza Azteca, Mi Casita, or Moe's!

What do you think of those restuarants?

Edited by metalman

It was a sad commentary when I said that Baja Fresh might be the best Mexican food in HR. The only passable place (Pancho Villa's) just closed. Luna Maya and Colley Cantina are OK -- LM is a little too upscale. The imitation SoCal burrito joint in the old Taco Bell on Independance isn't bad -- just a very limited menu. Ah, if only for a Roberto's Taco Stand, open 24 hours...... Or a Rubio's!

Good mexican food in Virginia Beach ='s Plaza Azteca in Aragona off Independence Blvd. Their are even real Mexicans!

Good mexican food in Virginia Beach ='s Plaza Azteca in Aragona off Independence Blvd. Their are even real Mexicans!

They're in Haygood Shopping Center, right? My friend likes it. I need to check them out next time I'm in town. Hopefully they don't drown their food in sauce, cheese, and beans. I can't tell places like that apart.

Well having lived here 10 years, I can say that HR has come a long way in the Mexican food dept. There are a lot more choices now... and there are those of you that look down your noses at anything and will never be happy. I am closer to that end of the spectrum myself, but at least I can admit it.

The best mexican food? Well that would be our neighbors Monica and Franco's house growing up (toungue tacos!). Good Mexican is very easy to make at home as well, which is what I prefer to do anyway. There are a lot more authentic Mexican foods available at Food Lion and Wal-Mart believe it or not.

As for the Plaza Azteca at Haygood... like most places around here, it is a drown the meal in cheese and beans and rice place. Diego's Tacos across the street is probably closer to authentic lol. The market here is used to the steretypical Mexican food experience (same goes for Asian food as well) so it is like looking for diamonds in the rough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well having lived here 10 years, I can say that HR has come a long way in the Mexican food dept. There are a lot more choices now... and there are those of you that look down your noses at anything and will never be happy. I am closer to that end of the spectrum myself, but at least I can admit it.

The best mexican food? Well that would be our neighbors Monica and Franco's house growing up (toungue tacos!). Good Mexican is very easy to make at home as well, which is what I prefer to do anyway. There are a lot more authentic Mexican foods available at Food Lion and Wal-Mart believe it or not.

As for the Plaza Azteca at Haygood... like most places around here, it is a drown the meal in cheese and beans and rice place. Diego's Tacos across the street is probably closer to authentic lol. The market here is used to the steretypical Mexican food experience (same goes for Asian food as well) so it is like looking for diamonds in the rough.

Guad's fits in with the whole TC experience. The nightlife in there is great. I'm hoping Joey from Strawbridge comes over. He's probably the best bartender in Hampton Roads.

I just noticed a link on the off-topic Norfolk thread-

With the deconstruction of Pembroke Mall and the plans an addition, do you think they are planning something like this, http://www.tysonsfuture.com/ ?

I would be cool.

Honestly, I think i'd rather get City Walk off the ground first, and the 2nd office tower, before worrying about that. Without those I just don't think we'll have the critical mass to push development in that direction yet.

It would be really, really nice though :D I think it's a well-designed (or at least visually-appealing) project and similar design aesthetics could be applied to Pembroke at some date in the future. Even this complex at Tysons Corner will take up to 15 years to build-out according to the website, so such huge, transformational projects do take time...

It would be really, really nice though :D I think it's a well-designed (or at least visually-appealing) project and similar design aesthetics could be applied to Pembroke at some date in the future. Even this complex at Tysons Corner will take up to 15 years to build-out according to the website, so such huge, transformational projects do take time...

I think part of the reason that it's going to take so long is that they can't get the density they want until the new metro stops are in place. And that's going to take about 10 years to complete. If they could get permits to do it now, I bet they would jump on the chance.

But as for Pembroke, I would hope that something similar eventually does happen. Given time that is. Like vdogg said, get City Walk built, and then I would think all

those big empty lots around the mall would become the next most enticing place to build. Maybe once the development crosses the Blvd, we can go back to calling the area Pembroke, instead of Town Center :thumbsup:

Edited by sugoiben

Pembroke Mall has updated their site plan on the website. I called to get more info but as to be expected they are pretty mum. Go here and under the leasing drop down menu, select site plans. Looks more like smaller shops though and no big box type of retail. (ala Target). :(

Edited by urbanvb