Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Personally, I wouldn't eat there nor would I eat at a mom&pop casual taco stand here in SoCal. It's the perception of cleanliness.
My best friend through my Navy career is now a stock broker. People ask him about the risk in a particular investment. He will point to the picture taken from the back seat of an F14 just prior to a carrier landing. He says "That's what I did for a living for 26 years. Maybe you and I have a different perception of acceptable risk." Safe to say that you probably won't be going along on my next troll of the food hawkers that line Sukhimvit Road in Bangkok after dark. Best Som Tam, best Roti, I have ever had. I consider the irreplacible experience worth a case of the runs or two. Different perceptions of acceptable risk.

A couple new joints opening in the new retail building in front of Willis Wayside (Va Beach Blvd and Thaia Rd)

An Oreck vacuum shop

Maui Wowi-a Smoothie and Hawiian coffee house (I'm interested)

Tiajuana Flats (It's second location in Va Beach. This other is on Laskin)

How's this place SCM?

Edited by metalman

• 3 weeks later...

sad day in the annals of VB restaurants -- today marks the end of the road for Ocean Eddie's, closing after over 50 years. It was a place without pretension, yet never being second rate at anything. The drinks were excellent, the food, simple, but prepared to perfection. The bands, professional and always entertaining. The setting -- irreplacable. Closed today at 4. Employee party tomorrow, then that's it.

• 1 month later...

New projects will further change landscape at Town Center

New restaurant: McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant will open the first week of December. It is on the ground floor of Studio 56, the lofts being built next to the Sandler Center.

McCormick & Schmick's opening is a coup for HR. They are a first rate national seafood chain, that is very un-chain like. Fresh, never frozen, fish, prepared to perfection. The sad comment is, that with their opening, the two best seafood restaurants in VB will be chains. Lynnhaven Fish House's setting is unmatched -- the food, almost equal to Captain D's. Dockside is pretty good, Charlie's lives on its longevity. Tautog's is probably a solid third to the two chains. Surf Rider is fantastic, for what they are -- an excellent fried seafood place.

Now, we get the Morton's in the Hilton downtown Norfolk, and will be in the top end restaurant chain big leagues. Well done, VB and AH!

What about Bubba's? Or the recently opened Surf Club at Wyndham VB (formerly Gus's at 57th St Ramada) that is getting rave reviews? I'm hoping to check it out for lunch before heading back to Cali. Also, LaVerne's, Mahi Mah's, and Aqua Vi are pretty good. Too bad Blue Pete's has gone downhill.

McCormick and Schmick's does have really good food though. Best thing about it is its $2 burger special during Happy Hour. That thing is a freaking steal. I wish I would still be in town when they open.

Edited by hoobo

What about Bubba's? Or the recently opened Surf Club at Wyndham VB (formerly Gus's at 57th St Ramada) that is getting rave reviews? I'm hoping to check it out for lunch before heading back to Cali. Also, LaVerne's, Mahi Mah's, and Aqua Vi are pretty good. Too bad Blue Pete's has gone downhill.

McCormick and Schmick's does have really good food though. Best thing about it is its $2 burger special during Happy Hour. That thing is a freaking steal. I wish I would still be in town when they open.

I am going to have to try the Surf Club -- I too have heard great things. LaVerne's, Mahi's, Waterman's? -- I just don't go to the oceanfront, especially in the summer. Don't want to fight the tourists who can't get a block off the strip.

You are so right about Blue Pete's. Not long after we got here, went there since it was so raved about. Left thinking, "did I miss something?". Sorta like going to the Belvedere, only to find out that Ray Buen was what made it special, and he was gone. Now, he's at Doc's, and you can't get in the place, even in winter. Wish Citrus was closer to the house. That place is fantastic.

Also forget to mention One Fish-Two Fish in the "seafood -- fine dining category" and Steinhilber's (just a little too pricy!) and Margie and Ray's in the fried seafood category.

A blurb about "Mc and Schmick's" in the Pilot-

VIRGINIA BEACH

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants Inc. is opening its first Hampton Roads location at 4 p.m. Thursday at Town Center in Virginia Beach. The restaurant, at 211 Market St., will serve lunch and dinner.

The chain, based in Portland, Ore., is known for changing its menu daily and offering seafood from all over the world. McCormick & Schmick's has 81 restaurants, with the next closest in Northern Virginia.

New resturant is coming to TC to be located in the Westin:

"Taza, serving Mediterranean-inspired cuisine, opens soon at the new Westin Hotel in the Town Center development of Virginia Beach."

Btw, I took my mother to McCormick and Schmicks for her birthday this weekend. Excellent resturant. It can be a little pricey, but not that far out of step with the other classier resturants at TC. Looks like they were doing good business too, and I don't think there was even a show that night.

• 4 weeks later...
Wife and I finally got to M&S for Happy Hour. If you are as cheap as I am, that is not to be missed. 4 to 6:30, M - F, and again after 9:30 M - Th. Burgers, Fried Pickle Slices and something else -- $2. Other great things -- grilled tuna bites, popcorn buffalo shrimp, and nothing over $4. Fantastic drinks, with everything fresh -- fresh squeezed juices, etc. Three food items, four drinks -- < $30. Sweet!

• 1 month later...

I always wondered WHY Chesapeake as a much smaller city had two Best Buy's and Virginia Beach had just one...

Another reason why that Best Buy is busy due to Norfolk not having one. It takes customers from both cities. Also the Best Buy near Chesapeake Square takes alot of customers from Portsmouth, Suffolk and Chesapeake.

Another reason why that Best Buy is busy due to Norfolk not having one. It takes customers from both cities. Also the Best Buy near Chesapeake Square takes alot of customers from Portsmouth, Suffolk and Chesapeake.

I wonder how the new Best Buy on Princess Anne will fare?

I have found that usually CC will have about the same price as BB but BB has a larger selection for sure. But I favor CC since I can walk there in less than 5 mins.

As someone who went into a Circuit City yesterday solely for the purpose of buying a wireless printer which Best Buy only had available online, I must say I was very dissatisfied. Not only was the printer NOT EVEN ON DISPLAY but I had to walk to another department to find someone to help me who was joking with his supervisor the whole time (who wasn't even working) instead of paying attention to me, the customer. I only bought it there because I couldn't get it at Best Buy and reaffirms why I don't shop there.