Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Do you all think an "Urban Entertainment Center" would fit in well in the Pembroke/TC area. Something like Gameworks, Dave & Busters, or something of the sort. It would make so much sense being that it likens itself to the family atmosphere during the day & an adult atmosphere during the night.

What does everyone think Pembroke mall is missing? What stores would make it considered a stronger mall?

Welcome to the forum dude!

Do you all think an "Urban Entertainment Center" would fit in well in the Pembroke/TC area. Something like Gameworks, Dave & Busters, or something of the sort. It would make so much sense being that it likens itself to the family atmosphere during the day & an adult atmosphere during the night.

What does everyone think Pembroke mall is missing? What stores would make it considered a stronger mall?

Welcome to the forum. I have never visited the stores above but I do think anything with an entertaining element might be a great idea. Is ESPN Zone something like you are speaking of?

Welcome to the forum. I have never visited the stores above but I do think anything with an entertaining element might be a great idea. Is ESPN Zone something like you are speaking of?

We need clubs, we need a true entertainment district ala granby street. The only thing I go to TC for now is to eat, occasionally drink, and gawk at the Westin. In the end though I usually wind up going downtown to have a really good time. That needs to change if TC truly wants to be the center of Va. Beach.

I was going to mention ESPN Zone but I think a requirement is a pro sports team. They are very similar.

Thanks for the welcome.

I know there were numerous ventures named for the 19th street site and one of those was an entertainment complex. Pharrell Williams was the one who wanted to build this. That's a home grown guy trying to build up the area. With his pull in the music industry it could lead to some great exposure for the area. As a young professional I find Granby St to be amazing. People would complain about security so it could be a great opportunity to get an urban hip designed police station built in the downtown area. I would love new stores or resturaunts, but why not combine them all in a mega complex and tie it to the mall. Even a Planet Hollywood or House of Blues with a stage would be great.

Edited by occasio

I often think VB lacks identity & vision. We are a hodge podge of ideas. We often fear embracing young (money earning) individuals for retirement communities. We want to be Myrtle Beach a little too much.

I'll send Ron & the guys an email and see what they think.

I often think VB lacks identity & vision. We are a hodge podge of ideas. .

I'll send Ron & the guys an email and see what they think.

I agree. We are all over the board if you will on this. Besides military, the port and tourism we don't seem to subscribe to much else at least on a large concerted effort.

Any ideas on how or where this could be built?

Celeveland Street, over behind / near the F/X building. There is a trailer park, and some industrial stuff back there. We know the city wants all lower class housing gone, so the trailer park is a no brainer, but the Benz repair place might be an issue...

<BR><BR>

With a maglev train for transport to/from town center of course.

Celeveland Street, over behind / near the F/X building. There is a trailer park, and some industrial stuff back there. We know the city wants all lower class housing gone, so the trailer park is a no brainer, but the Benz repair place might be an issue...

<BR><BR>

I think thats a great idea! :thumbsup: You are so smart, I am blown away by your intellect. :shok:

<BR><BR>

You're not talking about RG Motors are you?

Anyway, the City doesn't appear to be venturing outside of TC for public/private partnerships. They're sitting back and letting the free market do its thing. Besides, that trailer park is gonna be gone soon. If I remember correctly from my parents who get their cars repaired at RG, that trailer park has been bought out and the owner is waiting for other developments to materialize first before releasing any plans.

Still, I don't see clubs coming to Pembroke. The City already is anti-club at the Strip. They're not anti-classy bar like Hot Tuna, just anti-rowdy establishments. Red Tavern and Keagan's seem to be doing fine. Besides just imagine the fight that the civic leagues around there will put up. Personally, I'm gonna have to disagree with most on this board and say that Pembroke doesn't need clubs. Classy bars, yes, but not another Waterside.

You're not talking about RG Motors are you?

Anyway, the City doesn't appear to be venturing outside of TC for public/private partnerships. They're sitting back and letting the free market do its thing. Besides, that trailer park is gonna be gone soon. If I remember correctly from my parents who get their cars repaired at RG, that trailer park has been bought out and the owner is waiting for other developments to materialize first before releasing any plans.

Still, I don't see clubs coming to Pembroke. The City already is anti-club at the Strip. They're not anti-classy bar like Hot Tuna, just anti-rowdy establishments. Red Tavern and Keagan's seem to be doing fine. Besides just imagine the fight that the civic leagues around there will put up. Personally, I'm gonna have to disagree with most on this board and say that Pembroke doesn't need clubs. Classy bars, yes, but not another Waterside.

Now I think part of the issue is the difference between a club, lounge & resturaunt. Has anyone ever seen Atlantic Station in Atlanta. It's one of the coolest multi-use facilities I have seen. It has something for everyone.

concept-photos.gif

"Providing homes for 10,000 people, employment opportunities for 30,000, with shopping and entertainment for millions more, this 24-hour community will buzz with pedestrian traffic on its wide boulevards and the crowd of people in the sidewalk cafes and expansive parks. The result? A quality of life unmatched in the Southeast."

Although I like the picture on the left the best, the central one suggests something that would be a vast improvement over what is there today. Break the mass up, open it, add some greenery and some pedestrian and bike paths. Link the paths to TC and beyond to Thalia Creek and then under/over the Great Wall of 264 to Trashmore, which becomes a Central Park. I think the City can do a lot to help tie these developments together into something greater than the sum of the parts.

Although I like the picture on the left the best, the central one suggests something that would be a vast improvement over what is there today. Break the mass up, open it, add some greenery and some pedestrian and bike paths. Link the paths to TC and beyond to Thalia Creek and then under/over the Great Wall of 264 to Trashmore, which becomes a Central Park. I think the City can do a lot to help tie these developments together into something greater than the sum of the parts.

I think it will come along in time. I have to admit that Vabeach has done alot is such a short period of time. I'm proud of what they accomplished.

I think it will come along in time. I have to admit that Vabeach has done alot is such a short period of time. I'm proud of what they accomplished.

I will agree there have been huge leaps made in Va Beach, but the only issue w/ Atlantic Station is that the parking is all underground and made to resemble NY subways. I think that isn't feasible around here.

I noticed Furniture Liquidators has now left their Pembroke Mall location so hopefully soon we will see some demo soon. :D Also, S.T.A.C. (clothing I think) as well as Royal Chocolate have posters up at TC annoucing they will be coming soon.

Do the posters indicate whether Royal Chocolate will be a chocolate store or a chocolate bar?

Is Melting Pot the fondue restaurant coming?

I was gonna ask the same question. But they already have a restaurant on Laskin unless they plan on relocating. I could see one more Melting Pot for HR (there's also one in NN) and that would be in northern Suffolk or downtown Norfolk.