Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

I agree, for the most part, Memphis doesn't have the most photogenic skyline, but IMO, neither does OKC.

Here are some good Memphis skyline shots taken by Matt Robinson. All of his photos are just awesome, and can be seen here: http://metroscenes.com/

mphs01.jpg

mphs02.jpg

Those actually aren't that bad... especially the second one.

And I agree, OKC's isn't very photogenic either, but for some reason I prefer theirs. It's tough between these two, though, as they both have similar-looking buildings and heights on their skylines.

This is also a very tough one for me. I like Memphis' skyline even if it's not the most photogenic one around, and I like some of the older buildings and low/mid-rise density it offers. OKC's skyline is pretty nice as well, and I like many of the buildings that make it up. Though in the end, I have to give the very slight edge to Memphis. I love the old and gritty look of the skyline and downtown area, and I'm always a sucker for skylines up against the Mississippi River. :D

It's amazing that a building with the same number of stories can be one and a half times taller than the other. I'm refering to the RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile and the Louisiana "new" Capitol Bulding. Of course, I've always wondered how a 34 stories building could be 460 feet tall; I'd think it would be 350 or 360. But it's good the height it is. When my family and I were taking a trip in June to Tampa, we passed through Mobile and I remeber thinking"I wonder if RiverPlace will be as tall as that."

The funny thing about he state capitol is that trees always seem to be parted in the right place or building are just far enough apart and that whenever your up high you can see the tower.

And one more thing. Building always look taller when you can't see were they are built onto the ground. Like when you see the top of the building from behind the trees, if your on a built up road like the one on the way to the airport, or if your going through an underground tunnel with the building on top like the one in mobile.

It's amazing that a building with the same number of stories can be one and a half times taller than the other. I'm refering to the RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile and the Louisiana "new" Capitol Bulding.

Yea, we've been talking about the height of the RSA Tower in Mobile quite a bit recently. It's all about the fact that the tower has an insanely large spire, that is added to the height of the building. Just to give you an idea of that, the RSA Battle House Tower with the spire included, is taller than any building in New Orleans, but without the spire, the building itself wouldn't even be one of the five tallest buildings in New Orleans.

without the spire, the building itself wouldn't even be one of the five tallest buildings in New Orleans.

Wow that's a lot. :shok: I remeber when we drove through the tunnel under it, the few moments before we went in, the building seemed to just loom over the surrounding area, of course that's probably because I've never seen a 750 foot tall building before.

Wow that's a lot. :shok: I remeber when we drove through the tunnel under it, the few moments before we went in, the building seemed to just loom over the surrounding area, of course that's probably because I've never seen a 750 foot tall building before.

Yea, it's definately a nice sized building with the spire, and it seems to loom over everything else also because nothing else around it really comes close to it in height. It looks great from a distance, coming into Mobile on I-65 you catch a quick glimpse of the skyline on overpasses occasionaly, and you can see the RSA Tower has made a huge improvement for the skyline. I've always liked the building overall, but I still think the spire is a litte too large.

Yep,definitely large.Seems like that they might as well had made it 60 stories instead, but I guess they probably couldn't rent out 60 floors. But maybe New Orleans will beat it out soon with Trump Tower.

Well that's the thing with a building like RSA Tower and many others, they couldn't have made it 60 stories because the demand wasn't there, so they just built a ~30 story tower, stuck a huge spire on top of it, and called it 745 feet. In New Orleans, Trump Tower will be a full 67 stories with no spire and it is currently planned to be 700 feet tall, though that could well become closer to 800 feet when the final plans are released soon.

Yeah the Trump Tower should be taller than the RSA Tower in Mobile. Just in case, if it's not, just add a decorative crown with a 25 ft.spike on top of Trump Tower....like other cities like to do...that will do the trick. ;)

Or we can just get Trump to throw up an 80 foot pole, or "decorative spire" like he did on his 1300+ foot Chicago tower. ;)

Or we can just get Trump to throw up an 80 foot pole, or "decorative spire" like he did on his 1300+ foot Chicago tower. ;)

Actually, when you think about it, the New Orleans tower does have a little indent at the tip where they could put a spire.

Well... I guess it's time for another "Skyline Battle". I wish we had more participants.

Well I got a "match-up" with great similarities. Two Capital City's in the center of their state's and also the largest city in their state.

They BOTH have nice skylines for cities their size too ! What do you think Nate ???

Little Rock>>>> vs.<<<< Des Moines

*Reminder to UP viewers, this is at least what BR's skyline would look like would look like if it were Louisiana's premier city.

Ok here we go, we'll use Richy's Des Moines vs Little Rock matchup: :thumbsup:

Des Moines

City population- 194,163

Metro population- 593,112

Tallest building: 801 Grand- 630 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 2

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 12

community3.jpg

ProcDesMoines.JPG

skyline.gif

Little Rock

City population- 184,081

Metro population- 805,207

Tallest building: Metropolitan Tower- 546 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 2

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 6

skyline.jpg

tr-ark-tease.jpg

lr_skyline_002_l.jpg

Awesome, Nate! That top view of Des Moines is one I hadn't seen before. The waterfront view is beautiful!

HOWEVER, Little Rock seems to have a wider skyline overall, and at least to me, gives off a more dominant presence. I love Des Moines' tallest building more than anything on Little Rock's skyline, but on overall impressiveness I'd have to give it to Little Rock.

Thanks Nate for doing that. I appreciate it.

^It's all a matter of prefrence I guess. Which do you like more of; density or more spread out ?? Yall both hit on some good points.

I like both Skylines. It's close, but something about Des Moines gives it the edge. The stats don't lie. 12 buildings vs.6 over 200'ft. I like their tallest too at 630'ft.-45 stories. More impressive than RSA Mobile. I like the way Little Rock's tallest is angled at the top. Each cities tallest with BR's State Capitol would make for a good start on impressive skylines.

p.s.- DesMoines 2nd tallest looks like BR's One American Place on steroids. :tough:

This is definately another tough one for me...

Little Rock's skyline is definately impressive and gives off a nice sense of power for the state of Arkansas, and I really like some of the buildings that make up the skyline. Des Moines has some great density and some very nice height for a city of its size, and I really like the building's in its skyline as well. Though in the end, Des Moines takes it for me. The advantage it has over Little Rock with density and height push it over the top. :thumbsup:

These shots of Des Moines aren't as photogenic, but taken from a different angle, you can better gauge the full size of the downtown skyline.

july04desmoinesskylineindianolaave.jpg

july04desmoinesskylinewestairport.jpg

skyline2005_1.jpg

good%20skyline%20copy.jpg

Defintely a close one. I love LR's skyline and I'm totally biased, but DSM's skyline just has a little more class to it IMO.

And here's a rough and dirty winter shot of our small "midtown" skyline taken from about a mile and a half away.

midtown%20skyline%201.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos, DMRyan! Very impressive skyline shots, and after seeing those photos, I would put Des Moines way ahead of Little Rock without a doubt. That first photo was just awesome, I love the density you guys have up there, great skyline! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting all those pics of Des Moines DMRyan.

It's amazing how the different angles affect how dense the skyline looks. The first pic makes the skyline look super dense;in the 2nd pic the skyline is not as dense. But hey, I really like Des Moines skyline alot. That 630 ft. tallest tower is very impressive !

Hey guys, I was hoping someone would help come up with a good matchup for Birmingham. I just realized that we had completely forgotten about it and its nice mid-sized skyline, and I've been trying to come up with an equal city to match it up against the last few minutes.

Archived