Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

And the Atlanta building, to me, was that bad. I don't know why, I just really don't like it. :dontknow:

Yea, to each is own I guess. I'm a pretty big fan of BOA Plaza, but I guess that's what makes the world interesting. ;)

Ok, lets throw a fourth building into the mix: One Liberty Place in Philadelphia.

One Liberty Place

61 story's; 945 feet

cityhalltower_liberty1.jpg

Great Photo

kveus0840s.jpg

I know we're getting away from the tower comparison stuff, but I spoted this photo over at SSP, and had to post it here.

Look at this flat out awesome Houston photo. The skyline just seems to rise into the coulds out of nowhere, and then you've got the signature 11-13 lane Houston freeway, with the 2 lane feeder roads on both sides. The photo is courtesy of "KCgridlock" over at SSP, and you can see the rest of his photo tour of the city Here

IMG_2197_sized.jpg

I know we're getting away from the tower comparison stuff, but I spoted this photo over at SSP, and had to post it here.

Look at this flat out awesome Houston photo. The skyline just seems to rise into the coulds out of nowhere, and then you've got the signature 11-13 lane Houston freeway, with the 2 lane feeder roads on both sides. The photo is courtesy of "KCgridlock" over at SSP, and you can see the rest of his photo tour of the city Here

IMG_2197_sized.jpg

Not only is it an amazingly wide road, but look how much traffic there is!

As weird as this sounds, I love that! THAT is big-city life, my friends, and I will be doing that someday. :D

I have seen KCgridlock's pics before, very impressive ! Thanks for sharing those.

It's crazy to see how BIG Houston is. Area-wise its incredible to drive and drive and see how far the urban area extends. And is their a city with more skyline than Houston ? Is their a city with more highway loops ?

It's crazy to see how BIG Houston is. Area-wise its incredible to drive and drive and see how far the urban area extends. And is their a city with more skyline than Houston ? Is their a city with more highway loops ?

I know there are cities with bigger skylines, but I'm not sure about highways loops! ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29....746338&om=1

First you've got the small inner loop inside downtown, then you have the Katy Freeway(I-610) loop, then the Sam Houston Tollway, and then the other highway that goes from NE Houston back around to SE Houston and down to Galveston. :shok:

I know there are cities with bigger skylines, but I'm not sure about highways loops! ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29....746338&om=1

First you've got the small inner loop inside downtown, then you have the Katy Freeway(I-610) loop, then the Sam Houston Tollway, and then the other highway that goes from NE Houston back around to SE Houston and down to Galveston. :shok:

Yeah, the loops around Houston are impressive. But as far as skylines go, New York is definitely larger and probably even Chicago. New York's skyline is seamless and appears to go on forever.

As weird as this sounds, I love that! THAT is big-city life, my friends, and I will be doing that someday. :D

You ever driven through Atlanta, Brian? I'd call this big city livin too:

atlanta_aerial.jpg

2005-5-11-traffic-copy.jpg

tr-ozone.jpg

I don't know if you'd consider New Orleans "big city livin" or not, but it's the best I've got right now!

I remember coming back from DC and driving thru Atlanta saying, "what is that skyline to the left "? Downtown is to the right. Then finding out that was Mid-City ! I was very impressed ! It was cool the 16-lane freeway weaved between Mid-City & Downtown.

You ever driven through Atlanta, Brian? I'd call this big city livin too:

atlanta_aerial.jpg

2005-5-11-traffic-copy.jpg

tr-ozone.jpg

I don't know if you'd consider New Orleans "big city livin" or not, but it's the best I've got right now!

New Orleans is definitely big-city living. And no, never been through Atlanta. The southeast is still new territory to me, as I've only flown over it. I will say, though, if I lived in Atlanta it would be too much... but I've driven through Dallas and Houston so many times that I know those cities fairly well. I know Dallas much more than I do Houston, though.

My bad, what my post meant to say was...Is their a city with more multiple skylines than Houston ? We all agreed before that Houston ranked # 3 behind Chicago and NYC

The only two cities that come to mind are Atlanta and Washington D.C. Atlanta has the well known main and suburban skylines like Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, etc. But then there are even smaller clusters of buildings that line I-285, which is the beltway, or the perimeter, or whatever they call it over there. Between Atlanta and Houston, they both have a very similar amount of suburban or non-central skylines.

In Washington D.C., you've got all kinds of not only suburban skylines everywhere, but suburban central business districts. Because no buildings in the District of Columbia can be taller than 13 story's or so, you've got all kinds of cities in Virginia or Maryland, just outside of the district with very niced sized skylines. And you've also have the situation there like in Atlanta, the skylines aren't just close to the district, but line I-295(the Capital Beltway) in all directions.

Some suburban D.C. skylines:

Rosslyn

img5055border3hn.jpg

Bailey's Crossroads

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=398791

^skyline behind the Washington Monument

Tysons Corner

skyline01-best.jpg

Silver Spring:

aerial01.jpg

Ballston(bad view)

Ballston.jpg

Pentagon City:

Pentagon_City.jpg

And there are many many more than just those.

What most people fail to realize is that New York's skyline is really many skylines put together. There are so many areas and burroughs there with their own skylines, but it all appears as one seamless skyline. It's amazing.

Brian, didn't I read on another thread that you really didn't like NYC's skyline? :shades:

Ha.ha.ha Yall are a trip !

Thanks for posting those pics of the DC area. That's alot of concrete and metal. I was really suprised how sprawling the Virginia side was. Is it someting like 1.4 million people in Virginia's metro DC area ?

Buckhead/Lennox Square is really impressive being 6 or 7 miles from Downtown. They have added some impressive new projects to their growing skyline !

Nate, When you were driving thru Mid-town do you remember seeing the new Symphony Tower ? Do you like it's architecture ? Very modern ! I am sure Dubai will want one of those too !

Nate, When you were driving thru Mid-town do you remember seeing the new Symphony Tower ? Do you like it's architecture ? Very modern ! I am sure Dubai will want one of those too !

Yep, I saw it, and I really liked it. I think it's an awesome building, that fits into Atlanta's skyline very well. :thumbsup:

Another "big city life" picture from Uptown Houston:

Greenway_Plaza.jpg

Not only are many of the buildings in Uptown Houston huge for a non-central business district, they look great too. I really like that Bank United building. :thumbsup: And the buildings directly next to it look somewhat like smaller versions of One and Two Shell Shell Square in New Orleans, but then again, One Shell Square was built after and is nearly an exact copy of One Shell Plaza in Houston.

I really like that pic. They said if Uptown as it's own CBD, it would rank # 14 or 15 in size in the U.S. Nice area. I like how the Bank United bldg. is right up on the side of I-610. That Williams Tower looks cool lurking back there. There is some really cool new high rise condo towers too.

I really like that pic. They said if Uptown as it's own CBD, it would rank # 14 or 15 in size in the U.S. Nice area. I like how the Bank United bldg. is right up on the side of I-610. That Williams Tower looks cool lurking back there. There is some really cool new high rise condo towers too.

Yea the Uptown area is huge, especially in terms of land size, high-rises, and business. And you're right about the condo projects over there, many of them look great. Another way Atlanta and Houston are comparable, is that many of the high-rise condo towers being built in Atlanta are in Buckhead, and in Houston, many are in Uptown.

Another "big city life" picture from Uptown Houston:

Greenway_Plaza.jpg

Not only are many of the buildings in Uptown Houston huge for a non-central business district, they look great too. I really like that Bank United building. :thumbsup: And the buildings directly next to it look somewhat like smaller versions of One and Two Shell Shell Square in New Orleans, but then again, One Shell Square was built after and is nearly an exact copy of One Shell Plaza in Houston.

:D Again, that's MY kind of city life! I know the photo isn't yours, but it's great anyway!

Archived