Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

A picture of what essentially is Lake Charles' skyline, the 300 foot tall Hibernia Bank Tower:

450px-Hiberniatower.JPG

^This picture was taken after Hurricane Rita, in case you're wondering why windows are blown out .

A picture of what essentially is Lake Charles' skyline, the 300 foot tall Hibernia Bank Tower:

450px-Hiberniatower.JPG

^This picture was taken after Hurricane Rita, in case you're wondering why windows are blown out .

They're cheating. From that photo, with all those individual panes of glass, you'd think it was a 40-60 story building.

Cheaters.

:D

They're cheating. From that photo, with all those individual panes of glass, you'd think it was a 40-60 story building.

Cheaters.

:D

Yea the effect in that photo is pretty cool, it makes the building look much taller than 22 story's/300 feet.

But hey, for a city with 70,000 people, a 300 foot tall building isn't bad at all! Even if the next tallest building downtown is only about 95 feet tall.

Yea the effect in that photo is pretty cool, it makes the building look much taller than 22 story's/300 feet.

But hey, for a city with 70,000 people, a 300 foot tall building isn't bad at all! Even if the next tallest building downtown is only about 95 feet tall.

You're right, it's awesome. I've always been impressed by that. The tallest building in Tyler, TX (The Plaza Tower,) is 1 floor shorter than that building in Lake Charles, and Tyler has nearly 30,000 people more than Lake Charles.

By the way, if you've never seen it, here's the Emporis link to this building in Tyler. Can you tell me which world-class building was the inspiration for this smaller east Texas building? <-- without reading the bottom of that Emporis page!?

The Plaza Tower - Tyler, TX (Emporis link)

^I'd never seen the building itself, but I have seen pictures of the skyline.

From looking at Tyler's page on census.gov, it's growing, but from every picture I've seen of Tyler, there never seems to be anyone on the street, or anything going on.

By the way, the spot where this photo was taken from is where I was perched for the fireworks last night. :)

I thought that spot looked familiar in your photos, and then I realized why. That was definately a great location for fireworks photos! :thumbsup:

Brian had mentioned how amazing the fact that New York City has so many different skylines, and big one's at that, is and I thought this photo, courtesy of hkskyline, did a great job of showing some of them together:

IMG_1102.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic. I don't believe I have ever seen that angle of NYC. I am guessing that's Jersey City on the left ? Manhattan in the middle and Brooklyn on the right . It's cool to still barely be able to see the Statue of Liberty. I really like that view !

Brian had mentioned how amazing the fact that New York City has so many different skylines, and big one's at that, is and I thought this photo, courtesy of hkskyline, did a great job of showing some of them together:

IMG_1102.jpg

Wow. Hkskyline has some great photos of cities, no doubt. This one truly looks like many large cities put together.

IMG_1102.jpg

What a great shot :w00t:

Left - Jersey City

Center- Lower Manhattan

Right - Brooklyn

So how about one of those old skyline battle's again? ;) I thought I'd use Richy's "Midwest Matchup" with Kansas City vs Indianapolis.

Indianapolis

Tallest building- Chase Tower: 49 stories; 811 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 6

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 28

NearNorthside16.JPG

nearnorthside158wd.jpg

Skyline4.JPG

Kansas City

Tallest building- One Kansas City Place: 42 stories: 632 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 9

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 34

unionstation5aj.jpg

skyline.jpg

skyline.jpg

Thank you Nate for posting the Midwest Match-up. It's the interesting battle I thought it would be, CLOSE. But the numbers you have ^ don't lie. KC with 9 bldgs. above 400 ft. just give a thicker looking skyline; Indy has the most impressive Chase Tower at 811 ft. I like both skylines, but KC takes it in the 4th quarter.

It's also another tough one for me, but I think in the end, I have to go with Indianapolis. Chase Tower and its height alone add's alot to Indy's skyline, but I think I would pick Indy over KC even without the Chase Tower. I just don't really like the look of KC's skyline, don't know why, but it's just not very pleasing for me.

Nate, I understand your point ^. Something about KC's skyline's look that's lacking something. Of course my hometown wish it had 9 bldgs. taller than 400 feet.

Exactly. It just seems too short, even though overall it is taller than Indy's skyline, and it just looks sort of empty for some reason.

This is a tough one. I really can't pick one over the other in this case.

Hey, you're not getting out that easily! You have to pick a winner! ;)

Exactly. It just seems too short, even though overall it is taller than Indy's skyline, and it just looks sort of empty for some reason.

Hey, you're not getting out that easily! You have to pick a winner! ;)

Okay, Indy. Indy is what I was leaning toward anyway, but it was hard.

I guess them having a slightly-modified version of Shreveport's tallest building seals it for me. And before you say we copied them, while theirs is slightly taller, ours is 2 years older! :P

FirstIndianaPlaza-Indianapolis.jpg

^Yep, I've been meaning to mention that to you for awhile now, but I figured you already knew, and I always ended up forgetting anyway.

If I remember correctly, the First Indiana Bank building, which was built in 1988, is 2 years younger than Amsouth Tower in Shreveport, which was built in 1986. But it is also somewhere around 40 feet taller. Peronsally though, there's something about Amsouth Tower's design that I like much better than First Indiana's, even though they are very similar. Amsouth's design in Shreveport takes more advantage of its height, and looks taller than the one in Indianapolis, IMO.

^Yep, I've been meaning to mention that to you for awhile now, but I figured you already knew, and I always ended up forgetting anyway.

If I remember correctly, the First Indiana Bank building, which was built in 1988, is 2 years younger than Amsouth Tower in Shreveport, which was built in 1986. But it is also somewhere around 40 feet taller. Peronsally though, there's something about Amsouth Tower's design that I like much better than First Indiana's, even though they are very similar. Amsouth's design in Shreveport takes more advantage of its height, and looks taller than the one in Indianapolis, IMO.

Lone Ranger pointed it out to me in the Shreveport, LA thread over in Photos. I'd seen it in person (from a distanct) a couple years back but hadn't thought much about it since then.

I personally prefer the AmSouth as well, and not just because I live here but because I think it's just a better design.

And I agree, AmSouth appears taller. The First Indiana building has huge square sections that make it look like it's got less floors than it does.

Archived