Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Yea Dan, you've really got to come down and just spend a few hours walking around New Orleans, at least just the French Quarter and downtown, experience the food, culture, architecture, history, and everything else that makes it so special. There's a reason New Orleans is considered to be one of the greatest cities in the country! :thumbsup:

That'll have to wait until I can drive, I almost have to beat my parents to go to our own downtown. -_-

Well, try to remind them that New Orleans is only an hour away!

And if that doesn't work, throw in the old "it will be a rewarding cultural and educational experience" line.

And if that doesn't work, well then yea, I guess you'll have to wait until you can drive. ;)

I would say that Hartford wins because I think Birmingham looks too cluttered. All those low-rise buildings having the same colors and shapes kind-off make it run together, or maybe it's just me. Of course, I do like the tall buildings in Birmingham better. But like I said Hartford wins.

Well, the main reason that most of the buildings look alike, and I'm sure you're talking about the ones that are closer to the bottom, is because they're all owned by the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Haha, I think that one of the best medical schools in the country, and the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the 4 state area can have buildings that resemble eachother.

I should be able to drive in 1/2 year to 1 year.I'm kind of nervous though. :unsure:

Once you get your permit you start to realize that driving in itself is extremely easy, but it's everyone else on the road that are the problems. Once you learn to always be extremely aware of what's going on around you on the road, everything else will seem easy. :thumbsup:

Once you get your permit you start to realize that driving in itself is extremely easy, but it's everyone else on the road that are the problems. Once you learn to always be extremely aware of what's going on around you on the road, everything else will seem easy. :thumbsup:

For instance this morning.

I had to drive 40-50 the entire way to work today, because it was raining SO hard and there were wrecks all over. You should have heard the morning traffic report on the radio. The guy basically ran out of breath and then he said, "and this doesn't even scratch the surface. There are way more wrecks out there than I have time to read on the air."

I even had to join a huge group of people on the shoulder of I-20 this morning.

Keep these things in mind, Dan. It'll be rough at times, but the overall sense of freedom you get from driving far outweighs the negatives.

Keep these things in mind, Dan. It'll be rough at times, but the overall sense of freedom you get from driving far outweighs the negatives.

Oh, most definately. Driving opens up a whole new world for you, I mean just think about all the places you'll get to go without your parents! :lol:

Oh, most definately. Driving opens up a whole new world for you, I mean just think about all the places you'll get to go without your parents! :lol:

That's the first thing I did when I got my license and my first car. I started driving to places like Texarkana, Tyler, Monroe, and Natchitoches... places within a 60-100 mile radius. Of course I was also driving over100 mph to all these places and one day I had a really bad blowout... and got a ticket as well. I'd bee going over 100 until I saw the cop, and then decided to slow down. Too late. When he clocked me, I was still doing 90 even though I was slowing down. :wacko:

Dan, learn from my mistakes. Don't be stupid like me. :D

I don't think he said where he took it from, but judging from the angle and the height, I would imagine he took it from the 47th floor of the Sheraton Hotel, where I believe they have an observation deck.

Really? I went to the top floor of the Sheraton a few years ago to get pics, but it was just more hotel rooms. But I could be wrong since observation decks aren't always on the highest floor.

edit: Could it have been taken from the Marriott across the street? They had a restaurant on the 41st floor when I stayed there in '03.

Really? I went to the top floor of the Sheraton a few years ago to get pics, but it was just more hotel rooms. But I could be wrong since observation decks aren't always on the highest floor.

edit: Could it have been taken from the Marriott across the street? They had a restaurant on the 41st floor when I stayed there in '03.

I'm actually not sure if there is an observation deck up there, but I have heard that before and it looks like there could be one, judging from the fact that the 47th floor looks like one large block of windows and not individual windows for rooms. I had also thought about the Marriot, but it just seemed like from the height and angle of the shot, the Sheraton fit the picture.

I'd bee going over 100 until I saw the cop, and then decided to slow down. Too late. When he clocked me, I was still doing 90 even though I was slowing down. :wacko:

:rofl:

I can only imagine what you'd drive like if we stuck you in a car after a keg party or something.

You don't have to worry about me speeding, I'm always telling my dad to slow down.

If I ride with people on the interstate, and they're going less than 75mph, I'm pissed. :lol:

If you stick me behind the wheel of a 305hp engine, which is what I drive, you won't find me doing the speed limit if I don't have to.

You know what I had never actually noticed before? The Westin Peachtree in Atlanta and the Marriot Renaissance Center in Detroit are almost the exact same building. :blink:

Westin Peachtree- Atlanta

Constructed- 1976

Height- 73 floors ; 723 feet

All photos of Westin courtesy of user Ironchapman:

150799169_461932b714.jpg

Furthest building on the right in this photo

150114715_6e2ff3f67a.jpg

42836373_ead5b01c05_o.jpg

Marriot Renaissance Center- Detroit

Constructed- 1977

Height- 70 floors ; 727 feet

800px-Detroit_GM_headquarters.jpg

SAI_Detroit_2.jpg

139474.jpg

I don't know, I just thought that was interesting. :lol:

I like the ones in Detroit better. The blue and black work well together.

I prefer the Marriot Renaissance Center in Detroit over the Westin Peachtree in Atlanta as well, which is weird considering they're basically the exact same building. I guess it's just the fact that the Ren Cen seems to emit "power" as it's by far the most noticeable building in the skyline and is the HQ of General Motors, one of the largest automakers in the world.

Archived