Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

^ That's very creative yall. I like the sound of New Richmond.

I would have said New Richport... Can't go wrong with a name like that, coming from somebody named Richy :P

Tallest building: One Shell Square- 697 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet- 13

Nate, did you include Trump Tower in Louisianapolis ?

And was the new River Place in BR included ? At 36-stories I believe it would be near 400'ft. But at 30 stories, I would guess 350-365ft' ? :thumbsup:

Nate, did you include Trump Tower in Louisianapolis ?

And was the new River Place in BR included ? At 36-stories I believe it would be near 400'ft. But at 30 stories, I would guess 350-365ft' ? :thumbsup:

Actually, I forgot about those, thanks for reminding me, Richy! I'll put RiverPlace belowe 400 for now, as we still don't know the official height.

^ The new Madden is supposed to come-out on Aug.22nd. :yahoo:

Oh you better believe I'll be buying it. I'm looking forward to seeing how they rank the Saints, Reggie Bush, and Drew Brees. Right now I'm deep into NCAA Football 07, and in the game our LSU Tigers are ranked #5. :D

To get this thread back up again, I thought I'd throw in a pretty simple skyline batte that we basically have to do at some point. Something new to our skylines, but interesting nonetheless. A three-way skyline battle, between possibly the 3 best skylines in the South; Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas. Please rank them from 1-3, with your winner being #1.

Dallas

City population- 1,213,825

Metro population- 6,054,467

Tallest building: Bank of America Plaza- 921 feet

Number of buildings above 600 feet: 11

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 28

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 75

xvisionxdallasstemmons6yh-1.jpg

dal_sky_1.jpg

dal_sky_2.jpg

overdallas_1.jpg

Houston

City population- 2,016,582

Metro population- 5,380,661

Tallest building: JPMorganChase Tower- 1002 feet

Number of buildings above 600 feet: 17

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 46

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 133

First three photos courtesy of user "KCGridlock" over at SSP

15frnesci9.jpg

img2661sized2ql1.jpg

img2250sized2ny9.jpg

UH_skyline.JPG

Atlanta

City population- 470,688

Metro population- 5,249,121

Tallest building: Bank of America Plaza- 1023 feet

Number of buildings above 600 feet: 10

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 26

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 72

cityAtlantaGA02.jpg

cityAtlantaGA08.jpg

skyline1.jpg

209101009_8d3d42dbfe.jpg

^Courtesy of "Slingerdoo" on Flickr

Awesome!

I really like Dallas' skyline... and that second pic of Dallas is so dreamy-looking, I love it!!!

I like the designs of some of Atlanta's buildings, but don't like how sprawling the downtown area is. You know a city is going to be full of sprawl when its downtown is sprawling with no real density.

Houston... the ultimate southern skyline of the three, in my opinion. Hands-down. icon_NottWorthy.gificon_NottWorthy.gif

Great idea Nate ! :thumbsup: I like the Southern Skyscraper Battle!

All three cities have impressive skylines. But in the end it's...

#1) Houston

#2) Dallas

#3) Atlanta

*I would like to take the 3mile X 11mile island of Manhattan and see how Houston's multiple skylines would fit.

*It's crazy to think that both Dallas and Houston both have not seen significant skyline growth since the 80's skyscraper building-boom.

*If Atlanta could fill-in that big gap between their Downtown and Mid-Town they could have a world class skyline.

Honorable Mention Southern City Skylines:

Miami, New Orleans, and Charlotte.

*It's crazy to think that both Dallas and Houston both have not seen significant skyline growth since the 80's skyscraper building-boom.

One good thing I did see is, on the west side of Dallas' skyline, near the West End District, there is a HUGE residential project being constructed of multiple buildings. This project consists of numerous buildings, both high-rise and mid-rise. There were actually quite a few buildings under construction all over downtown Dallas, so I felt really good about that. None of them were extremely tall, but were helping to fill in the downtown skyline nonetheless.

What's also interesting is just how many major high-rise buildings both Houston and Dallas had planned, but were never built in the '80's.

Never built skyscrapers in Dallas:

Two Dallas Main Centre- 921 feet

RepublicBank Centre- 781 feet

Two Fountain Place- 720 feet

Pacific Place- 692 feet

Victory Tower- 562 feet

Cityplace Center West- 560 feet

Never built skyscrapers in Houston:

Bank of the Southwest Tower- 1,404 feet

Block 265 Tower- 1,231 feet

Campeau Tower- 1,083 feet

Four Houston Center- 860 feet

Check out the design of the never built Bank of the Southwest Tower:

448911dj2.jpg

That went on to become the 945 foot One Liberty Place in Philadelphia:

tower1.jpg

tower2.jpg

tower3.jpg

tower4.jpg

One good thing I did see is, on the west side of Dallas' skyline, near the West End District, there is a HUGE residential project being constructed of multiple buildings. This project consists of numerous buildings, both high-rise and mid-rise

That's the Victory Park/Plaza I was talking about. It's a $3 Billion, 75 acre district near the American Airlines Arena. That's Dallas version of Times Square. Check it out on wikipedia; it should also have it's own website. Victory Tower is a 43-story office, not sure when that started ?

Thanks for those stats Nate. Amazing that Houston could have had four 1,000ft. towers. The image of Bank of SouthWest Tower did not show-up for me.

As far as the battle of the sothern skylines. Even though I really like some of Dallas' buildings I'd also have to pick Houston first. Atlanta also has some interesting buildings but I think I'd have to pick Dallas second and Atlanta third.

Archived