Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Just for some amazing FYI, check out the comparison's between the completed building's in Miami's skyline now, and when the buildings that are under construction, approved, and proposed are added:

Miami

Current tallest building: 789 feet

Number of buildings at/above 400 feet: 23

Number of buildings at/above 200 feet: 55

Miami

Tallest building: 1200 feet(2)

Number of buildings at/above 400 feet: 107 (+84)

Number of buildings at/above 200 feet: 169 (+114)

Insane! :w00t::w00t:

^ Nice match-up Nate. Gotta go with Houston. Only Chicago and NYC in the U.S. can top H-Town. Houston's skyline has a striking presence. Miami has really come along way over the years. That's insane what's happening there now. The U.S. version of "Dubai". Miami's moving up the charts for sure. That aqua green colored water is sweet too.

Ok, I was finally able to find a more modern New Orleans skyline photo from the angle I wanted, so I could do a 3 photo comparison of the skyline, spanning about 40 years. :D

New Orleans skyline in 1955:

oversize217.jpg

New Orleans skyline around 1975:

aerial.jpg

New Orleans skyline around 1997:

14565272_l.jpg

Thanks, I thought so, but was not a 100% sure. The Hornets will only play 6 games there this coming season; I really wonder what the future holds for them ? Throw this back to the sports thread.

They'll be back in '07, you can count on that. :thumbsup:

Well, we sure made it a long time before Houston came back up... ;)

Look at this amazing panorama from Houston courtesy of Mrell32 on HAIF. And there are still suburban skylines not included in the pano! :blink:

thegreathoustonpanobb1.jpg

^Now that's an amazing pano!! And I like the way he has it labelled.

Yea I really like that he labelled it as well. Though I'm pretty sure the section of the skyline that is labelled as "River Oaks" is actually "Montrose." But hey, what do I know, I'm from New Orleans. :lol:

^Now that's an amazing pano!! And I like the way he has it labelled

You ain't kiddin, thanks for posting that Nate. The labels are nice. Houston's lack of zoning has made it a unique urban conglamerate. The 64-story Williams Tower still hold the title as tallest skyscraper outside of a CBD. Yeah Nate, 5 miles past Uptown is the Energy Corridor.

I haven't heard from bluff2085 for awhile. He was gonna post some match-up' between coastal cities San Diego/Baltimore... and an International battle too.

For the longest I have been looking for an opponet for Minneapolis;

I really like the look of their mountain shaped skyline. Detriot is not a good opponet and others cities I tried coming-up with didn't matchup well either. I was thinking going north of the border to Calgary. They have a nice, underated skyline too. What do yall think ?

Minneapolis vs. Calgary... hopefully we'll hear from bluff2085 soon ?

I haven't heard from bluff2085 for awhile. He was gonna post some match-up' between coastal cities San Diego/Baltimore... and an International battle too.

For the longest I have been looking for an opponet for Minneapolis;

I really like the look of their mountain shaped skyline. Detriot is not a good opponet and others cities I tried coming-up with didn't matchup well either. I was thinking going north of the border to Calgary. They have a nice, underated skyline too. What do yall think ?

Minneapolis vs. Calgary... hopefully we'll hear from bluff2085 soon ?

I love the idea of Minneapolis vs Calgary, Richy! I've been looking at finding a good opponent for Minneapolis as well, but really haven't had much luck. But I hadn't even looked at Calgary, great idea! :thumbsup:

No battle...just felt like saying Omaha Nebraska has one of the sleekest-looking new towers I've seen recently; it's their new tallest BTW. One First National Center at 45-stories, 634 ft. tall completed in 2002.(would fit in with Charlotte) Tallest high-rise between Denver and Minneapolis.. Since 1969 the Woodmen Tower dominated the plain boxy Omaha skyline.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=101138

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=158477

Woodmen Tower on left; One First National Center(right)

I agree with you there Richy, that is a great looking tower, with a great design and some nice height. And I could definately see that tower fitting into Charlotte's skyline.

I've been trying to find a city to put Omaha's skyline up against recently. It's a city that you almost never hear about away from College Baseball, and the skyline is actually pretty nice, and definately underrated, IMO.

I've been trying to find a city to put Omaha's skyline up against recently. It's a city that you almost never hear about away from College Baseball, and the skyline is actually pretty nice, and definately underrated, IMO.

Cool, I figured you would like it. Yeah the CWS is great exposure for Omaha. Good question on opponet. I'm not sure either. Memphis and Oklahoma City came to mind.

A Super-Sleeper Skyline that I was unaware of that sprang-up recently is Bellevue Washington. It's very impressive IMO. Just east of Seattle on the other side of the lake. I guess it's considered a suburb ?

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=373398.

I've seen better pics, just can't remember where ?

No battle...just felt like saying Omaha Nebraska has one of the sleekest-looking new towers I've seen recently; it's their new tallest BTW. One First National Center at 45-stories, 634 ft. tall completed in 2002.(would fit in with Charlotte) Tallest high-rise between Denver and Minneapolis.. Since 1969 the Woodmen Tower dominated the plain boxy Omaha skyline.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=101138

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=158477

Woodmen Tower on left; One First National Center(right)

You're right, it would fit into Charlotte's skyline well. It reminds me of a rectangular BoA.

I had been planning this one for a while now, but Richy's previous post reminded me. How about Memphis vs Oklahoma City for a skyline batte?

Memphis

Tallest building: 100 North Main Building- 430 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 3

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 14

Memphis_skyline.jpg

Memphis_skyline_from_the_air.jpg

b29023131.jpg

Oklahoma City

Tallest building: Chase Tower- 500 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 4

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 16

Okc.jpg

12-05downtown.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

Wow Nate, that's a tough match-up. Thanks for posting that.

From certain angles Memphis looks more spread-out. OKC looks a little more compact. Going to the scorecard it would be a DRAW.

My wife gave the edge to Memphis. A little more variety, I don't know if she was refering to The Pyarmid ? She also liked the bridge.

I like the pic with the minor-league baseball stadium at night. That would be neat if Zephyr Field in New Orleans was on the riverfront near the CBD/Skyline. I think baseball stadiums in downtown's are neat. Greenville SC has a nice little baseball stadium in their downtown too.

Wow Nate, that's a tough match-up. Thanks for posting that.

From certain angles Memphis looks more spread-out. OKC looks a little more compact. Going to the scorecard it would be a DRAW.

My wife gave the edge to Memphis. A little more variety, I don't know if she was refering to The Pyarmid ? She also liked the bridge.

I like the pic with the minor-league baseball stadium at night. That would be neat if Zephyr Field in New Orleans was on the riverfront near the CBD/Skyline. I think baseball stadiums in downtown's are neat. Greenville SC has a nice little baseball stadium in their downtown too.

C'mon Richy, you know the rules! Ya gotta pick a winner! :D

And as for Zephyr Field in downtown New Orleans, I completely agree, that would be awesome. But there's really no place to put it where it would actually be in downtown New Orleans. It would be a little way's outside where you could find some unused land or enough parking lots. But, we are lucky to have both the Superdome and the New Orleans Arena downtown, many major cities would love to be be able to say that.

Anyway, this photo that you posted above is probably the best photo I've ever seen of memphis. Memphis just (in my opinion) doesn't have a very photographic skyline.

I agree, for the most part, Memphis doesn't have the most photogenic skyline, but IMO, neither does OKC.

Here are some good Memphis skyline shots taken by Matt Robinson. All of his photos are just awesome, and can be seen here: http://metroscenes.com/

mphs01.jpg

mphs02.jpg

Archived