Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

I really like the Midwest matchup too! :thumbsup:

I just don't like that the people drive like they're in the Indy 500 while on their way to the airport. Wow that's some bad - almost suicidal - driving!!

I've never been up to Indianapolis, but I've heard that the driving in downtown isn't the greatest either. ;)

Skyline Battle: Atlanta vs. Frankfurt (Germany)

Atlanta has two skylines; downtown and midtown. Six of the ten tallest buildings in Atlanta are in midtown. Tallest: Bank of America Plaza - 1023 ft

Downtown:

downtownatlantaii5zb.jpg

Midtown:

midtownatlantaiii1xb.jpg

Atlanta from a distance:

atlanta8sx.jpg

Frankfurt:

Tallest: CommerzBank Tower - 850 ft

germany3ne.jpg

frankfortiii7sv.jpg

frankfortaerial8iy.jpg

Richy, not a problem! Thanks for posting those. I was thinking earlier how similar the skylines of these two cities are. Both skylines are spread out as far as tall buildings go. Also, both skylines are very striking aesthetically. Many have criticized Atlanta's skyline for its lack of density. I think the overall beauty of ATL's 'scrapers more than makes up that.

Atlanta wins judging by height and overall number of tall buildings. But this match-up resembles the Pitt vs. Denver contest. Frankfurt doesn't have as many tall buildings, but its skyline is definitely enough to be comparable. And Frankfurt has an old,old school European density that you typically don't see in American cities. Also, Frankfurt has a slight edge in architectual variety, with the new modern talls spaced between a number of century-old structures in the 50-100 ft. range. I pick Frankfurt.

I really like the Midwest matchup too! :thumbsup:

I've never been up to Indianapolis, but I've heard that the driving in downtown isn't the greatest either. ;)

Downtown is bad a lot of the time, but the worst driving that stuck out in my mind was on the freeway that leads into the airport. Those people really seemed suicidal... worse than the drivers in most cities.

Richy, not a problem! Thanks for posting those. I was thinking earlier how similar the skylines of these two cities are. Both skylines are spread out as far as tall buildings go. Also, both skylines are very striking aesthetically. Many have criticized Atlanta's skyline for its lack of density. I think the overall beauty of ATL's 'scrapers more than makes up that.

Atlanta wins judging by height and overall number of tall buildings. But this match-up resembles the Pitt vs. Denver contest. Frankfurt doesn't have as many tall buildings, but its skyline is definitely enough to be comparable. And Frankfurt has an old,old school European density that you typically don't see in American cities. Also, Frankfurt has a slight edge in architectual variety, with the new modern talls spaced between a number of century-old structures in the 50-100 ft. range. I pick Frankfurt.

I agree... I prefer the variety in Frankfort. I never even thought to do a US city vs. a European city matchup. In most cases the European cities will win for their variety, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though my last trip was centered around Washington D.C., I did get to see quite a few skylines on the way up and down. Birmingham, Rosslyn,VA, Richmond, Charlotte, and Atlanta. I spent some time in downtown Charlotte, and I have to say, I really like Charlotte's skyline. It is much more impressive in person, and even though it seems like the entire downtown area was built in the last 15 years(true in some ways) the skyscraper architecture is awesome. And of course, Atlanta is just amazing. When you come around the corner on I-85/75 downtown and the entire skyline pops up in front of you, it's just awesome. The Atlanta skyline is 100x more impressive in person. :thumbsup:

Hey guys, how about something a little bit different. An individual skyscraper matchup? Just thought this might be fun. How about Bank of America Corporate Center in Charlotte vs Key tower in Cleveland:

Bank of America Corporate Center

60 story's; 871 feet

slide1-sm.jpg

skypart272.jpg

One of my own pictures

IMG_5926border.jpg

Key Tower

57 story's; 947 feet

key-tower-1a.jpg

KeyCorp.jpg

Great view of the tower here

Great skyscraper match-up Nate. Both very impressive towers ! It's a matter of preference I guess. I really like your pic you took of the spire ! The way it illuminates at night could give it the advantage over Key Tower. Some say the top of BOA looks like a wedding cake. Key Tower is a classic. My wife likes BOA more.

Now that you just recently on your trip went thru Atlanta, you probably like them over Frankfort ? Those were the best pics I could find. I hope you liked the match-up .

Now that you just recently on your trip went thru Atlanta, you probably like them over Frankfort ? Those were the best pics I could find. I hope you liked the match-up .

Yea I prefer Atlanta's skyline over Frakfort's, but they are both great. :thumbsup:

Id have to say Im more for Cleveland's Key Tower. Though I do love Charlotte's B.O.A. Tower, there's something about the Key Tower that looks more modern, with that older architecture feel to it. Id look at it as, if Charlotte didnt have the BOA Tower, it would still have a big, tall skyline. If Cleveland didnt have the Key Tower, it would really take a hit to the skyline. So the Key Tower definitely wins this round for me.

Key Tower isn't bad, but BOA blows my mind. I'm absolutely in love with that building.

Both are beautiful buildings, though they both exude a level of flawlessness and symmetry that I don't care for, like they are untouchable or something...just my opinion. The key tower looks very atlanta-ish...not a bad thing. Maybe it's just the spire. The boa tower in charlotte has an LA-east feel to it. At the same time, boa is far more recognizable as an icon for charlotte than key tower is for cleveland.

Take your pick, it's a coin toss.

Both are beautiful buildings, though they both exude a level of flawlessness and symmetry that I don't care for, like they are untouchable or something...just my opinion. The key tower looks very atlanta-ish...not a bad thing. Maybe it's just the spire. The boa tower in charlotte has an LA-east feel to it. At the same time, boa is far more recognizable as an icon for charlotte than key tower is for cleveland.

Take your pick, it's a coin toss.

I actually get the "Atlantaish" feeling from the Key Tower as well.

It's tough for me to decide on this one. I really like BOA in Charlotte, and it looks even better in person, but Key Tower just looks awesome. They are both bank towers(Key Bank) and both represent and show some serious power. Overall,(man this was tough!) I'll have to take Key Tower over BOA. There's just something about the facade of the building, and how smooth and sleek it looks from the ground up that I love. And like TBurban mentioned earlier, it has a significant presence in Cleveland's skyline. And while BOA is definately the center and bright spot in Charlotte's skyline, there are still multiple other decent sized high-rises, while Cleveland has 3 or 4.

Here's a great shot of Key Tower's spire at night:

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/clevel...ycrownnight.jpg

OK guys, lets throw a 3rd building into the mix: Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta.

You knew it was coming!

Bank of America Plaza

55 story's; 1023 feet

Bank.JPG

boaatl02.jpg

boaatl03.jpg

Fantastic photo of BOA Plaza here

Ok guys, just for some interesting fun, lets keep throwing buildings in until we get to five(we now have three) and each time rank your favorites.(Key Tower vs BOA CC vs BOA Plaza and so on)

Weird and random, I know, but try it! :D

Good idea Nate. Very similar indeed. How tall would BOA Atlanta be "without" the decorative spire ? Although very impressive, the 1,023 can be misleading to me; that means BOA is taller than any of Houston's tallest with no spire. *example* The Malaysian Twin in Towers(KL) taller than Sears Tower in Chicago,simply bec. of the spire ? No way.

1 Key Tower

2 BOA Charlotte

3 BOA Atlanta

Good idea Nate. Very similar indeed. How tall would BOA Atlanta be "without" the decorative spire ? Although very impressive, the 1,023 can be misleading to me; that means BOA is taller than any of Houston's tallest with no spire. *example* The Malaysian Twin in Towers(KL) taller than Sears Tower in Chicago,simply bec. of the spire ? No way.

1 Key Tower

2 BOA Charlotte

3 BOA Atlanta

I believe almost 200 feet of that 1023 is part of the spire. I believe the actual building is somewhere around 850 feet tall. JPMorganChase Tower in Houston on the other hand, is 1002 feet of pure building. A true 1000 footer.

Height cheating spire or not, I really like the design and overall look of BOA Plaza, so at this point, my list goes like this:

1. BOA Plaza- Atlanta
  2. Key Tower- Cleveland
  3. BOA Corporate Center- Charlotte

1. BOA - Charlotte

2. Key - Cleveland

50. BOA - Atlanta (I really don't like that building much)

:lol:

It cant be that bad!

And yea, it's different, but I'm just trying it once to see how it works out.

BOA Charlotte. The crown does it for me.

Nice to see you again in here again, krazeeboi!

BOA in Charlotte is definately one of my favorite skyscrapers in the country, and so are BOA Atlanta and Key Tower in Cleveland. All fantastic buildings, IMO.

Archived