Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Denver has that one. Pheonix is so spread-out, they just never went very vertical for the size of that city. Trump had talked about building a 40+ in the area(Scottsdale) , but the people seemed to balk at the idea of wanting something so tall.

Denver has that one. Pheonix is so spread-out, they just never went very vertical for the size of that city. Trump had talked about building a 40+ in the area(Scottsdale) , but the people seemed to balk at the idea of wanting something so tall.

Yea I agree, Denver wins it easily for me. I can still post pictures if you guys want though. Denver's skyline is much more dense, and they're tallest skyscraper is 714 feet tall, and they have three towers at around 700 feet or taller. Phoenix's tallest is 485 feet, and they only have one other tower above 400 feet. There is a 500 foot height restriction for buildings in Phoenix, though there are currently 15 buildings proposed that are above 400 feet, 4 of which are 500 feet or taller.

Yeah Denver has 39 towers over 300'. Phoenix had 16. But I think Phoenix is one of the finest cities out west. If I had to live anywhere out west, I would have to go to Arizona.

I've never been to Phoenix, or Denver for that matter, but I've really only heard good things about both cities. Though the problem in Phoenix is the same problem in Las Vegas, they are running out of water. And I believe the city of Phoenix itself is sinking as the land and soil it rests on is losing its density as all of the water has been removed from the soil.

I know it's a dry heat but much of Arizona is too hot for me I think. I don't think I could take the summers that Phoenix or Tucson have. Now Flagstaff, those temps I could deal with. :D It is beautiful country out there though.

I know it's a dry heat but much of Arizona is too hot for me I think. I don't think I could take the summers that Phoenix or Tucson have. Now Flagstaff, those temps I could deal with. :D It is beautiful country out there though.

Again I've never been there, but I have a feeling I could deal with the heat. I've spent most of my life dealing with temperatures in the upper 90's with 95%+ humidity in SE Louisiana, so I think I could deal with a dry 110 or 120. Less humidity makes a huge difference. After all, in hell, it's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity. :P

Again I've never been there, but I have a feeling I could deal with the heat. I've spent most of my life dealing with temperatures in the upper 90's with 95%+ humidity in SE Louisiana, so I think I could deal with a dry 110 or 120. Less humidity makes a huge difference. After all, in hell, it's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity. :P

Overall I agree with you. A dry heat is certainly a lot nicer than the humid summers here in the south. But still when it's 120, that's hot no matter how dry it is.

Pittsburgh?

Great idea! I think Pittsburgh would be a great opponent for Denver, they both have very dense and tall skylines, with Pittsburgh having the edge in height density and Denver having the edge in total number of buildings. :thumbsup:

Before I set up the skyline battle, I thought I'd some very cool photos of the New Orleans skyline from the 1950's and 1970's. I really like the old skyline from the 30's through the late 60's, which is when it started to become more modern. And in the first photo, you can see just how dominant the Hibernia Bank Building(the building with the large crown) was in the skyline, and it was even more dominant 10-20 years earlier.

New Orleans skyline in 1950

coffee11.jpg

In this photo, you can see Charity Hospital standing proud and tall along Loyola Avenue in the bottom left corner of the photo.

New Orleans skyline in 1955

oversize217.jpg

And in this photo, which was probably taken in 1974 or early 1975, you can see how the northern part of downtown was beginning to change from the view in second photo, 20 years later. Also visible is the Superdome under construction. The roof then looks nearly the same as it does now, as it is being completely re-installed presently.

oversize371.jpg

And here's the last photo, most likely taken in the late 1970's after the Superdome was completed. You can easily spot the Marriot, One Shell Square, World Trade Center, and Plaza Tower(it's still all alone out there 30 years later <_< )

aerial.jpg

Shreveport's skyline... another Photoshop mod.

155341485.jpg

Very cool Brian! I think that's one thing you can do on Photoshop that you can't do on GIMP or any other free photo editing programs. I guess now we know what Shreveport will look like when the Apocolypse comes. ;)

Maybe Plaza Tower will get a companion tower one of these days ? At least 2/3 as tall.

Well Richy, the closest thing right now is Vantage Tower, which will be 25 storys; 270 feet tall, and will be built about 4-5 blocks away from the Plaza Tower, closer to Poydras Street. The skyline is slowly starting to expand westward, with Vantage tower, the 37 story "Thomas Bauer Project" and the 22 story "Tracage" all proposed outside of the Poydras corridor, which is where most of the high-rises end. Then you've also got the 12 story "Felicity Towers" proposed for Central City a few blocks over the Ponchartrain Expressway. There was a map of all of the proposed towers in the CBD today in the Times Picayune, if I can figure out a way to post it, I'll get it on here.

Very cool Brian! I think that's one thing you can do on Photoshop that you can't do on GIMP or any other free photo editing programs. I guess now we know what Shreveport will look like when the Apocolypse comes. ;)

:lol: At least you got the idea of what I was going for! Originally I had a green glow, but it looked more "alien" than "apocalyptic."

Check out my desktop... :)

155415038.jpg

I was messing around with one of my first pictures from New Orleans in GIMP, and thought I'd post the result. It's not a big change as I wanted to keep most of the image the same, just some color conversion and labeling, but I liked it:

img0967cropped8vo.jpg

^Now that is a nice desktop! Did you have to stretch the image or anything to get it to fit the full screen? Because it doesn't look that way.

No. My original image was enormous. I take all my photos large and at full quality. The only reason they end up small is because I have my PictureTrail galleries set to shrink them so I can upload more.

It worked out perfectly as far as size goes on the wallpaper.

No. My original image was enormous. I take all my photos large and at full quality. The only reason they end up small is because I have my PictureTrail galleries set to shrink them so I can upload more.

It worked out perfectly as far as size goes on the wallpaper.

Oh ok, I was wondering what size your original picture was. I normally take my photos on the 640x480 setting, as I would like my photos to be bigger, but can never figure out a way to resize them without losing a lot of quality.

Archived