Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Nice Apocalyptic pic of Shreveport ! The high-rises have an orange glow like they are getting ready to melt.

Thanks for the info about the skyline expansion westward in the Crescent City. I hope you'll be able to post the map of proposed towers in the CBD from Times Picayune.

Those two skyscrapers in the middle of the NOLA CBD on the black & white really stand out.

I was messing around with one of my first pictures from New Orleans in GIMP, and thought I'd post the result. It's not a big change as I wanted to keep most of the image the same, just some color conversion and labeling, but I liked it:

img0967cropped8vo.jpg

Sorry, Nate, I completely passed this over for whatever reason. Very nice!! :)

Thanks Brian!

Those two skyscrapers in the middle of the NOLA CBD on the black & white really stand out.

Yea, One Shell Square are by far the focal points of the skyline. And one thing I've always liked about the New Orleans skyline from that angle, is the buildings get taller and taller as they get towards the middle on both sides, like steps. From even further away, when the buildings look like theyre right next to each other, it looks really cool.

Thanks Brian!

Yea, One Shell Square are by far the focal points of the skyline. And one thing I've always liked about the New Orleans skyline from that angle, is the buildings get taller and taller as they get towards the middle on both sides, like steps. From even further away, when the buildings look like theyre right next to each other, it looks really cool.

Yes, it's got a tiered shape to it. It's symmetrical for the most part, from right to left (except a bit more density on the right.)

FYI:

Here's a photo of my new Dell monitor/setup with my desktop wallpaper up. My computer is on the floor just to the left of the desk. And just so you know, this photo does it no justice. That angle makes the keyboard look much larger than my monitor, but I just held it up to my monitor and it's no more than one inch shorter than the keyboard.

155858129.jpg

PS... this isn't bragging, but I wanted to give the full effect of my wallpaper!

That looks great, Brian! The wallpaper and computer both. Now what you need is a black phone...black CPU, black monitor, black keyboard, white phone!? :dontknow:

Also, I'm liking that new avatar, Richy! :thumbsup:

That timeline series is awesome. I can't believe how much the CBD has grown in the last 20 years. The whole Poydras Corridor didn't even exist in the 70s. I did not know that. I guess alot of growth occurred in the 80s.

Shreveport has an awesome skyline for a metro of it's size. I remember going through SHV on the way to FL for spring break in 98...and thinking...dang that's a nice skyline. I took several pics of it from I-20 with my old 35 mm.

That timeline series is awesome. I can't believe how much the CBD has grown in the last 20 years. The whole Poydras Corridor didn't even exist in the 70s. I did not know that. I guess alot of growth occurred in the 80s.

Yea it really is impressive. Up until the mid 70's, the Poydras corridor was mostly just low and mid-rise buildings, and the Canal Corridor was where all of the action was at in terms of larger buildings. One Shell Square went up in '72, and then in the late 70's and most of the 80's all kinds of high-rises were constructed along Poydras from the Superdome all the way down to the river. The 80's boom ended with the completion of Dominion Tower by the Superdome in '89.

According to Emporis, 25+ buildings over 200 feet were built in downtown New Orleans between 1972-89. That may not be that impressive compared to modern high-rise booms in some cities, but you can see how drastically those 25 200+ footers affected the skyline.

That looks great, Brian! The wallpaper and computer both. Now what you need is a black phone...black CPU, black monitor, black keyboard, white phone!? :dontknow:

Also, I'm liking that new avatar, Richy! :thumbsup:

My post never showed up for whatever reason so here I go again...

The phone was my wife's before we even started dating 5 years ago, thus the white phone... it's been in the picture longer than I have! :lol:

Anyway, the CPU and monitor are actually silver. The face of the monitor is the only part of it that's black. The speaker on the monitor actually matches the rest of the monitor.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about the skyline battle. Sorry about that! :D

We're going to have Denver vs Pittsburch in this skyline battle. Two cities with tall and dense skylines...which do you like better and why?

Pittsburgh

Tallest building

U.S. Steel Tower- 64 stories

Number of buildings taller than 400 feet: 15

Number of buildings taller than 200 feet: 35

0015ffc1.jpg

pointstatepark1.jpg

relocation_1.jpg

Denver

Tallest Building

Republic Plaza- 56 stories

Number of buildings taller than 400 feet: 14

Number of buildings taller than 200 feet: 52

sm9afafcafd450f9dc047974a6cbd3.jpg

MVC-019S.JPG

Denver-skyline-at-nite1.jpg

That is a nice match-up ! Pittsburgh and Denver both have impressive skylines . Pittsburgh edges Denver with the architectual variety. And having three rivers is one of a kind . The park is cool looking too. The mountains in Denver are hard to beat as well. It's all a matter of opinion. I would not argue if someone picked Denver, theirs looks more spread out and one day could overtake Pitt IMO.

Great job Nate ! Thanks for your hard work. This Skyline Battle is FUN !

I enjoy reading everyone's feedback, it's interesting.

If you don't mind some more request to keep this tread going for awhile longer ? I got some good match-up's for us to consider.

*San Francisco vs. Boston (Battle of the Coast)

*Minneapolis (Very impressive skyline IMO) vs. ????

*Kansas City vs. Indianapolis (Midwest Showdown)

Hope you like these match-up's !

If you want to bring it back down South ? Maybe...

Tampa vs. Tulsa (Battle of the T's)

Hey guys, please keep the skyline battles going while I'm up in D.C.! :thumbsup: Add whatever cities you want! But I just want to keep these things going, because I think we get some interesting feedback from our members here, it seems like everyone loves skyline talk!

One skyline battle I was considering was Minneapolis(or any city you would like) vs downtown Atlanta.

Downtown Atlanta is most of the central skyline in Atlanta, but I'm pretty sure it does not include Bank of America Plaza, the 1000+ supertall in Atlanta, as that building is in the Midtown skyline. Though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Downtown Atlanta

Atlanta_Skyline_001.gif

You are right Nate. Great Match-up ! I could not find an opponet for Minneapolis. I EDITED my last post(8:17/8:51). Atlanta basically has two CBD skylines; Downtown and Mid-Town. Both cities have impressive skylines for sure !

Richy, would you like to take care of the skyline battles while I'm gone? I really like your ideas for future match up's.

I've been throwing around another match-up between Atlanta, GA and Frankfurt, Germany. When I have time I'll try to follow up with some skyline shots for these 2 cities.

The Atlanta vs Frankfurt battle is a great idea! :thumbsup: They both have some very similar looking towers.

*Kansas City vs. Indianapolis (Midwest Showdown)

I think all the matchups you mentioned are good, but I like this one best. I'd have initially thought Indianapolis vs. St. Louis, but since Indianapolis doesn't have a huge downtown icon like the Gateway Arch and there are some other big differences, I agree that Kansas City would make a nice comparison city for Indy. I still haven't been to KC, but I love Indy... I just don't like that the people drive like they're in the Indy 500 while on their way to the airport. Wow that's some bad - almost suicidal - driving!!

Archived