Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Great stats there, Richy! :thumbsup:

Here's a list of random cities, and how many buildings they have that are over 400 feet tall. Buildings that are proposed, approved, and under construction are not counted.

• New Orleans- 12
  • Baton Rouge- 1
  • Tampa- 6
  • Charlotte- 10
  • Atlanta- 26
  • Houston- 65
  • New York- 338 :w00t:
  • Chicago- 151
  • Philadelphia- 21
  • Los Angeles- 32
  • Seattle- 19

One interesting thing I noticed is when you look at the number of buildings over 200 feet tall in some Southern cities, there are some major differences, which represents the density of the skyline, or at least much of it.

Number of buildings over 200 feet

New Orleans- 37

Richmond- 19

Charlotte- 19

Tampa- 16

Interesting stats, that puts a different perspective on things. While Tampa and Charlotte have newer high-rise that are flashy. They can't compare with the girth of density New Orleans brings. I guess that's why NOLA gets the edge in skylines when I was ranking the "southern skylines". I had NOLA and Charlotte tied for 5th behind Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. Richmond is dense of it's size too.

Maybe a good match-up could be the battle of the "ville's".

Nashville vs. Louisville...or Jacksonville may want to join ?

Richy...get out of my head! :lol: I was seriously just about to start a skyine battle between Nashville and Louisville!

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. Here is a "skyline battle" between Nashville and Louisville, two cities that have similar sized skylines, and both have new tallest's planned. (Louisville: Museum Plaza-703 feet; Nashville- Signature Tower- 1047 feet.) Though these buildings won't be counted as part of the current skyline's.

Nashville

Current Tallest- BellSouth Building- 617 feet

Nashville_Skyline_at_Night.jpg

nashville_skyline_(clean)_copy.jpg

Nashville-Skyline.jpg

Louisville

Current Tallest- Aegon Center- 549 feet

Louisville-Skyline.jpg

SKYLINE1%20.33.JPG

skyline.jpg

I am torn between the "ville's". Going to the score card....looks like a draw to me. Both cities have unique landmark skyscrapers. The dome on the Aegon Center is the most impressive of all. What is yalls opinion on the Batman Bldg. in Nashville ? I'm not too sure how much I like it. Its different , I'll give it that. I wonder what the height would be if not for the giant spire ? It probably would be 400 feet instead of the 617 listed. Have you seen the proposed Museum Plaza in Louisville ? That's a crazy design. I don't know structurally it would work ? The Signature Condo Tower will be incredible in Nashville ! Something you would expect to see in NYC, Chicago, or Miami.

Louisville isn't bad, but I'm all about Nashville. To answer Richy's question, I actually love the 'Batman' building in Nashville. I don't know why... because it's so different, I suppose. The Signature Tower is what's going to be the sure winner for Nashville in my opinion.

Very good match-up and a tough decision. The Aegon Center is beautiful. Humana building is one of my favorite 30-ish story buildings anywhere...classic Michael Graves. These 2 Louisville 'scrapers make it tough to pick Nashville, but I gotta give music city the edge. Even though the 600+ ft. figure for Bellsouth is misleading, this is a VERY impressive building at only 33-stories. Also, Nashville's building density does not compare to that of Louisville's, but its skyscraper density is more noticeable. That's why I give Nashville the edge, as it has several more buildings in the CBD over 350ft.

Nashville wins it for me, and it wins pretty easily actually. Louisville's skyline is alright, but I just don't like most of the buildings comprising it. I've never been a big fan of the dome on the Aegon Center, and while National City Tower is alright, it's nothing special. I'm normally fans of most buildings in skylines in the U.S., but for some reason Louisville's buildings just don't appeal to me. Nashville on the other hand has a great skyline, filled with nice buildings, IMO. I love the Batman Building, and like the designs of many other high-rise's. Nashville also has more skyscraper density than Louisville, which boost's it up for me.

I have a hard time picking as well. I'm not a huge fan of all of Michael Graves' work but I do like the Humana Building. I also like the Aegion Center as well. But I also have to say Nashville's skyline really seems to stick out with the 'Batman' Building. Whereas with Louisville you have to look more closely to make sure it's Louisville and not another city.

Whereas with Louisville you have to look more closely to make sure it's Louisville and not another city.

Great point there, Rod. I also like uniqueness in skylines and buildings, and just from getting a quick glance at the skyline, and you see the "Batman Building," you know it's Nashville. Louisville on the other hand, could be many cities if you didn't get a hard look at the skyline.

When the Signature Tower goes on board it is going to take Nashville to the next level. They do a great job of lighting-up the Batman Bldg. at night ! I cheated and looked at Emporis and Nashville does have 23 200'+ vs. Louisville's 18.

Here's what the skylines will look like after the major proposed/ buildings will look like.

Louisville with Museum Plaza

435154.jpg

^The design of Museum Plaza has grown on me, and I think the tower looks kind of cool, but I don't really like how far away the tower is from the rest of the buildings, with really nothing in between. It also looks like a slightly smaller version of Detroit's skyline with the Renaissance Center.

Nashville skyline with Signature Tower and the proposed 620 foot Marina City Center Thanks to "tistic" over in the Nashville forum,

sigwlight2.jpg

^I'm liking that. Though one more 600+ foot tower on the right side of Signature Tower would make the skyline look even better and more even.

Here's what the skylines will look like after the major proposed/ buildings will look like.

Louisville with Museum Plaza

435154.jpg

^The design of Museum Plaza has grown on me, and I think the tower looks kind of cool, but I don't really like how far away the tower is from the rest of the buildings, with really nothing in between. It also looks like a slightly smaller version of Detroit's skyline with the Renaissance Center.

Nashville skyline with Signature Tower and the proposed 620 foot Marina City Center Thanks to "tistic" over in the Nashville forum,

sigwlight2.jpg

^I'm liking that. Though one more 600+ foot tower on the right side of Signature Tower would make the skyline look even better and more even.

That's one of the best proposed skyline renderings I've seen for any city. Tistic did a great job on that!

That's one of the best proposed skyline renderings I've seen for any city. Tistic did a great job on that!

Yea it really is good, he made some other one's that are great too. BTW, I fixed the link to the Louisville Museum Plaza skyline picture, so it should be showing up now.

Yea it really is good, he made some other one's that are great too. BTW, I fixed the link to the Louisville Museum Plaza skyline picture, so it should be showing up now.

Yep, it's showing up fine.

Did you do something to the other photos? For some reason, yesterday they were extremely blurry. Coincidentally, I've noticed that they're clear ever since switching to Firefox. I don't know why they would have been blurry in I.E., but it was an observation all the same.

Yep, it's showing up fine.

Did you do something to the other photos? For some reason, yesterday they were extremely blurry. Coincidentally, I've noticed that they're clear ever since switching to Firefox. I don't know why they would have been blurry in I.E., but it was an observation all the same.

The other skyline photos? Nope. And they've been fine for me on Firefox too. I wonder what was causing them to show up blurry for you on IE.

The other skyline photos? Nope. And they've been fine for me on Firefox too. I wonder what was causing them to show up blurry for you on IE.

I really don't know. ALL photos showed up blurry on my old computer because I was on Netzero High-speed, which compresses photos in order to dramatically accelerate the page-loading process.

By the way, I keep having tree frogs jump on, and stick to, my office window as I type this. :lol: I just can't get used to living in a rural area.

By the way, I keep having tree frogs jump on, and stick to, my office window as I type this. :lol: I just can't get used to living in a rural area.

Haha, I can imagine it's a pretty dramatic transition. I didn't move to a very "rural" area in Covington, but I do see a lot of things up here that I didn't see in the Quarter. And of all the things I saw in the Quarter, frogs weren't one of them. ;)

Haha, I can imagine it's a pretty dramatic transition. I didn't move to a very "rural" area in Covington, but I do see a lot of things up here that I didn't see in the Quarter. And of all the things I saw in the Quarter, frogs weren't one of them. ;)

:lol:

I'm sure you saw all kinds of things. Man, I can only imagine the "street education" a child living in the French Quarter might have received.

Archived