mediamongrel

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it could look like this:

Wal-Mart, Wilkinson Blvd, Charlotte

39307086-M.jpg

(photo courtesy dubone)

That looks neat...thanks for posting it.

I have seen just glimpses of the new Wal-Mart there. It certainly will take getting used to not seeing the mall there-but I think it will be good for that area of town to have something again over there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it could look like this:

Wal-Mart, Wilkinson Blvd, Charlotte

39307086-M.jpg

(photo courtesy dubone)

That is one cool-looking Wal-Mart! All the ones I've ever been in are the typical big, ugly box. Now they're starting to paint them all tan and brown, but they still look like crud.

Has anyone looked at the Wal-Mart lately? They've got some sort of white frame around it.

I drove past it the other day. Its really taking shape! and maybe they'll build a Lowe's or Home Depot there too. I think if more retail comes to east Greensboro, that would help eliminate alot of westbound traffic as east Greensboro residents would no longer have to cross town.

I drove past it the other day. Its really taking shape! and maybe they'll build a Lowe's or Home Depot there too. I think if more retail comes to east Greensboro, that would help eliminate alot of westbound traffic as east Greensboro residents would no longer have to cross town.

Exactly. That's one reason why Four Seasons is always crowded. Back when CCM was open, shopping traffic was evenly distributed between the two malls. Now that CCM is gone, all of the CCM traffic (Including Me) have to shop at Four Seasons. Maybe Wal-Mart will help.

I think the Lowe's is still planned to be next to the Wal-mart... and the Home Depot is *highly rumored* to take the old Kmart across the street.

It wouldn't surprise me if Home Depot built on the old Kmart site. I noticed the other day that Cato and the rest of the stores that shared the Kmart side of that strip are all vacant.

Exactly. That's one reason why Four Seasons is always crowded. Back when CCM was open, shopping traffic was evenly distributed between the two malls. Now that CCM is gone, all of the CCM traffic (Including Me) have to shop at Four Seasons. Maybe Wal-Mart will help.

Alas, I wouldn't say it was ever exactly evenly distributed; otherwise CCM might still be there. But the new development should definitely eliminate the mass westbound pilgrimages to Wendover for a lot of people.

Carolina Circle never had the appaeal of Four Seasons. Montgomery Ward was always considered dowdy compared to JCPenney, and Ivey's was considered too upscale for the neighborhood. That's part of why Ivey's bought Jordan Marsh's old store at Four Seasons, because their market was more inclined to a slightly 'nicer' mall.

I wouldn't consider CCM a complete flop. I remember back in the day, they'd have a lot of special events like a moon walk back around 1996. I also remember that up until 1997, the mall seemed to be doing pretty good. Well, that's only my opinion.

I wouldn't consider CCM a complete flop. I remember back in the day, they'd have a lot of special events like a moon walk back around 1996. I also remember that up until 1997, the mall seemed to be doing pretty good. Well, that's only my opinion.

Agreed, it wasn't really a flop to begin with, but it was never particularly successful either, even in the beginning. And it was never a serious competitor to Four Seasons.

I seem to remember there was a block of stores upstairs on the southeast side of the Montgomery Ward end which was never leased during the entire lifespan of the mall. The mall was never once fully occupied, stores were rarely updated, and the anchors had already pretty much given up after the first 10-15 years. We were hearing rumors of closings even twenty years ago when I managed a store there.

CCM was just built for a solidly middle-class demographic which never really embraced that part of Greensboro, and was actually fleeing it by the time the mall had been open a couple of years. It ended up drawing mostly working-class residents of northeast Guilford and Rockingham County who didn't want (or couldn't afford) to go to Four Seasons. As much as I liked the mall, I think a big box center will probably do a lot better there.

It wasn't a flop at all, roadgeek. It was just the wrong mall in the wrong location for long-term success. Otherstream identified most of the reasons why it wasn't sucessful, but keep in mind it survived 20 good years on its own terms without a lot of money invested into it, and that's not a flop in my view, considering even malls in upscale areas only last about that long without major change.

It wasn't a flop at all, roadgeek. It was just the wrong mall in the wrong location for long-term success. Otherstream identified most of the reasons why it wasn't sucessful, but keep in mind it survived 20 good years on its own terms without a lot of money invested into it, and that's not a flop in my view, considering even malls in upscale areas only last about that long without major change.

Point well taken. Given the lack of investment, it's amazing it went on as long as it did.

FYI, the original plans also called for Cone Boulevard to be extended out into a huge new housing development. This alone might have provided enough of a built-in customer base to keep the mall viable. Many malls are built with large housing tracts nearby for just this purpose; the housing is considered to be an investment in the ongoing succes of the mall. This might be worth looking into for the history you're working on, as I think it may be the single biggest factor in why CCM was troubled from the start.

Point well taken. Given the lack of investment, it's amazing it went on as long as it did.

FYI, the original plans also called for Cone Boulevard to be extended out into a huge new housing development. This alone might have provided enough of a built-in customer base to keep the mall viable. Many malls are built with large housing tracts nearby for just this purpose; the housing is considered to be an investment in the ongoing succes of the mall. This might be worth looking into for the history you're working on, as I think it may be the single biggest factor in why CCM was troubled from the start.

Really? That would have really helped the mall. I think maybe the mall could have stayed a few more years if they had built that new Project Homestead development between Cone and McKnight Mill quicker.

It's too bad Cone Blvd was never extended... future plans still for the road?

Well, a few years ago they extended it a few feet but that was just for a new church. I would like to see it extended as far as the new Urban Loop. That might promote more business.

I also heard rumors of a new mall at the new Reedy Creek area north of CCM. I also heard about a new Hardee's and McDonald's there too. I have my doubts.

lol, I could see a Reedy Fork Mall... Reedy Fork Ranch Marketplace? Town Centre? There is a lot proposed in the master plan of the Reedy Fork Ranch development and the mall or shopping center if built would probably draw customers from as far as southern VA. Lots of people who live in the border counties shop out at Piedmont Mall in Danville since Carolina Circle's demise, so a regional mall in northern Guilford County... even if it is smaller than 4 Seasons or Britt Way would probably be successful.

I wonder what that mall would be called. Reedy Fork Mall or my favorite "Carolina Circle Mall Part Deux".

Archived