Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people who live in the border counties shop out at Piedmont Mall in Danville since Carolina Circle's demise, so a regional mall in northern Guilford County... even if it is smaller than 4 Seasons or Britt Way would probably be successful.
Piedmont Mall pretty much killed Carolina Circle, Eden Mall and Pennrose Mall because it was centrally located and heavily frequented by people who live in Rockingham and Caswell Counties.

It's looking a little dated these days, but it still holds a solid working-class crowd.

Here's some visuals for you:

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/07/bosc...l-danville.html

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/07/sear...e-virginia.html

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/07/jcpe...l-danville.html

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/12/belk...e-virginia.html

I was thinking about something last night that I'd like to share. I wonder if 10-15-20 years from now, a new Carolina Circle Mall could be built near the former Carolina Circle. If you look at the new development in the area like the new homes, Wal-Mart, etc, I could see a 2nd mall in that area much like CCM. Crazy yes, but my mind wanders around at night.

The new CCM could have a similar design to the old one, but without the '70s Saturday Night Fever style. Maybe an ice rink or carousel. Or, ice rink and carousel.

I was up in Greensboro today and drove by the site. It's interesting how the new Wal-Mart facade is oriented very specifically to the north rather than facing the freeway where you'd be able to see it from both directions.

Right. I was expecting the Wal-Mart to be in the same area as the mall was. But according to the blueprints I've read, the area where the mall used to be is mainly going to be parking lots.

Drove by today after a while... Wow.. Was certainly amazed at how much of the Wal-Mart has been completed. I wonder why none of the other stores/parcels have started construction though.

I've been wondering that too. I've heard that the Wal-Mart is expected to open sometime this June.

I'm hoping that there'll be a monument erected at the new shopping center that says something like "On this spot from 1976-2002, a mall called the Carolina Circle stood bringing pleasure through its ice rink, carousel, and fantastic stores". One can dream. Although the mall wasn't really "Circle", it was more of a rectangle. Should have named it Carolina Rectangle Mall.

I'm hoping that there'll be a monument erected at the new shopping center that says something like "On this spot from 1976-2002, a mall called the Carolina Circle stood bringing pleasure through its ice rink, carousel, and fantastic stores". One can dream. Although the mall wasn't really "Circle", it was more of a rectangle. Should have named it Carolina Rectangle Mall.
Carolina Circle was cooler than Carolina Rectangle, to be sure.

I wouldn't mind a monument, but sites like Carolina Circle City are a good reminder of what was there, and actually, having a blog about it reaches more people than a plaque in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Even less likely, the Carolina Circle Mall Museum. :lol:

That's pretty much the main reason I created Carolina Circle City for a reminder of what used to exist. If I'm able to, I'm going to try to keep Carolina Circle City running for the next generation to see what life was like in the years of CCM. And whenever I build my own home, I'll have lime green paint on my walls and orange shag carpeting. It's actually starting to rub off on a lot of my former Pendle Hill classmates and current homeschool classmates who didn't get the chance to experience CCM. A lot of times, I'll show them some pictures of the carousel etc and they'll be amazed.

I've posted a lot of pictures of CCM here. But this time, I'm posting some videos I found. These are 2 videos of the inside of CCM taken sometime around 2005. Please enjoy.

CCM Videos

Thanks for posting those Roadgeek, though I have to admit, they make me really sad to watch. I am glad it is torn down. I'd rather see it not there-than to have it as a constant reminder of what it became..sadly

Thanks for posting those Roadgeek, though I have to admit, they make me really sad to watch. I am glad it is torn down. I'd rather see it not there-than to have it as a constant reminder of what it became..sadly

I think you're right. I really hated to see my favorite mall go, but with all the vandalisim, graffiti, and aging it was going through, the demolition was well needed to put it out of its missery.

cool thanks for posting. who took these vids?

I have no clue. Whoever did, good job. :thumbsup:

Rode by there today. That Wal-Mart is going to be huge! They're also putting up a canopy for gas pumps. That'll be interesting to see.

PS: How many of you are still going to call the plaza "Carolina Circle"? I might call it that a lot out of habit. But I'll probably also call it "The Wal-Mart Shopping Center". Besides, according to a map I looked at, they're keeping part of the old Ring Road and renaming it New Ring Rd.

PSS: I also found some new pictures of the inside of the mall taken in October of 2004. Links are here on my blog:

http://ccmcity.blogspot.com/2006/05/you-want-more.html

Archived