Pyramids Village

mediamongrel

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is a big deal for east Greensboro to get a Lowes. People who live on that side of town have to always commute to west Greensboro to shop.

Not always. ( Im not just talking about with the coming of CCM in the 70's either. ) There have been many businesses on this side of town (including as I stated already) a Lowes once upon a time. I remember Palmer Plaza being built. I remember us going often to the Golden Gate Shopping Center. I also remember my family doing quite a lot on Summit Ave...especially in the NorthEast Shopping Center. There was a Cooks on that side of town (old time discount store), a Brendles(that was a bowling alley before that ) on Bessemer, and of course, Zayer and Winn Dixie on the corner of Summit and Cone Blvd. Sears Surplus on Lawndale was about as far west as my mom and dad would go to any regularity. It was a big deal if we drove as far as Four Seasons or to something on High Point Rd, or West Market St. (Kings and K-Mart). It was rare for us to drive to Friendly. Trips taken that were over 15 minutes just didnt occur in my family often because we had all we needed on our side of town. The fact that at this point there are no major retailers currently, shows a shift happened at some point(mainly in people's perception of that side of town unfortunately) but it hasnt always been that way. I, for one, as it is the area I grew up in, am glad to see this revitalization happening around this new Wal-Mart being built.

Not always. ( Im not just talking about with the coming of CCM in the 70's either. ) There have been many businesses on this side of town (including as I stated already) a Lowes once upon a time. I remember Palmer Plaza being built. I remember us going often to the Golden Gate Shopping Center. I also remember my family doing quite a lot on Summit Ave...especially in the NorthEast Shopping Center. There was a Cooks on that side of town (old time discount store), a Brendles(that was a bowling alley before that ) on Bessemer, and of course, Zayer and Winn Dixie on the corner of Summit and Cone Blvd. Sears Surplus on Lawndale was about as far west as my mom and dad would go to any regularity. It was a big deal if we drove as far as Four Seasons or to something on High Point Rd, or West Market St. (Kings and K-Mart). It was rare for us to drive to Friendly. Trips taken that were over 15 minutes just didnt occur in my family often because we had all we needed on our side of town. The fact that at this point there are no major retailers currently, shows a shift happened at some point(mainly in people's perception of that side of town unfortunately) but it hasnt always been that way. I, for one, as it is the area I grew up in, am glad to see this revitalization happening around this new Wal-Mart being built.

Believe it or not, I remember a lot of those stores including Sears Surplus. I vaguely remember that restaurant at NE Shopping Center where the food came to you mechanicaly or something.

I believe that restaurant was Duff's.

That sounds about right, though I never was interested in eating there.

Good point about how kids may say that they remember getting their back to school clothes from Wal-Mart in 10-15 yrs from now...but...There are also a lot more choices now for buying clothing cheap than there used to be...Plus..

When I was getting ready to go back to school (30+ yrs ago) , my mother would do a variety of things between sewing my new dresses, to going to the aforementioned Sears Surplus Store, to going to the Blue Bell outlet on High Point Rd (one of the few times we might travel further than 5-10 minutes to shop), to many many handmedowns (or "throw ups" as the Peanut cartoon referred to them).

In comparison, I home school my kids...so they really don't have "school clothes" per say. Half of their school is usually done while they are still in their pajamas...and the rest in sweats or jeans...

Now you're taking me back :) I remember Blue Bell pretty well too. There was also another jean place farther out on High Point Road called Cheap Joe's we would go to occasionally.

Cheap Joe's also had a store at Carolina Circle, which was called Texas Jeans (and later, The Exchange). I managed the Carolina Circle branch for a while:

Texas Jeans at Carolina Circle Mall (with pictures)

There were three diifferent locations on High Point Road over the years: the orginal, near Pinecroft Road (about where Waffle House is now), the second at Florida Street (in an old Golden Skillet Fried Chicken location), and the final one closer to the Coliseum, across from Ghassan's. There was also a store on Market Street.

I totally forgot about Texas Jeans! I had no idea they were connected to Cheap Joe's. Of course I was kinda young back when all this was going on.

I don't remember the Pinecroft store, but I've went to the Florida Street one and the last one you mentioned near Ghassan's.

I totally forgot about Texas Jeans! I had no idea they were connected to Cheap Joe's. Of course I was kinda young back when all this was going on.

Be very relieved that I didn't include the photo of myself as a rather fluffy-haired young retail manager, circa 1985. It might've killed this thread for good...

Cheap Joe's also had a store at Carolina Circle, which was called Texas Jeans (and later, The Exchange). I managed the Carolina Circle branch for a while:

Texas Jeans at Carolina Circle Mall (with pictures)

There were three diifferent locations on High Point Road over the years: the orginal, near Pinecroft Road (about where Waffle House is now), the second at Florida Street (in an old Golden Skillet Fried Chicken location), and the final one closer to the Coliseum, across from Ghassan's. There was also a store on Market Street.

Yeah, those are great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Look at these pictures of CCM taken several years ago that I found.

Be very relieved that I didn't include the photo of myself as a rather fluffy-haired young retail manager, circa 1985. It might've killed this thread for good...
I think everybody had one of theose "A Flock of Seagulls" moments back then :lol:

Look at these pictures of CCM taken several years ago that I found.
I like how the photgrapher focused in on the beauty of Montgomery Ward and Ivey's, which was in the architectural details.

I like how the photgrapher focused in on the beauty of Montgomery Ward and Ivey's, which was in the architectural details.

Yeah, they're beautiful pictures. I wonder if Montgomery Ward ever built any other stores similar to this one, or if it was just an isolated example of orange-tiled wonderfulness.

I do remember that the Eastland Mall Ivey's in Charlotte was originally somewhat similar to the CCM store on the interior.

I loved the elevator in Ivey's....surrounded by glass to see out and all those lightbulbs. You also cannot forget that bright orange!

I remember that. Of course, when I went it was Dillard's, but I do remember the glass elevator with the lightbulbs and orange.

Was Cone Blvd built in the 1970s? That would be my best guess passing through the CCM area.

Well, my parents bought their house brand new in 1958 in a neighborhood that is directly off of Cone Blvd. Cone Blvd was(and is still) our main way in and out . The neighborhood is less than 2-3 mins from the old CCM Site. Go back a bit further ( to the mid 50's at least) and you probably have a closer time frame.

Yeah, they're beautiful pictures. I wonder if Montgomery Ward ever built any other stores similar to this one, or if it was just an isolated example of orange-tiled wonderfulness.

I do remember that the Eastland Mall Ivey's in Charlotte was originally somewhat similar to the CCM store on the interior.

Montgomery Ward did a lot of stores with similar floorplans, but I don't know of another with the circle motif or the orange-tiled berms.

Ivery's had some hot stores for the era. Two things that just about all the suburban Ivey's featured were portes cocheres at one or more exterior entrances and lots of windows to let natural light into the store.

I loved the elevator in Ivey's....surrounded by glass to see out and all those lightbulbs. You also cannot forget that bright orange!
Thay even had orange escalator railing! It was too cool!

Archived