Newport News Development

urbanfan

Airport Gets a Face Lift on today's Daily Press

NEWPORT NEWS --  Hampton resident Ken Burgess admits he was worried at once that the Newport News/ Williamsburg International Airport was adopting an over-optimistic "build it and they will come" philosophy.

But the arrival of AirTran in 1995 gradually has catapulted the airport, which sets new passenger records monthly, into one of the fastest-growing in the country. Now virtually every area of the airport is either under construction or in the planning stages.

Burgess, who has lived in the region for 60 years, is pleased to see the airport so busy. He prefers to avoid the risk of getting caught in the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel to fly out of Norfolk for three flights or so a year, and is relieved the airport is adding parking.

"It was always crowded in the parking lot," said Burgess, who was getting ready to fly to Houston for his son's wedding.

Projects range from the small - such as a new caf

Check out this great article.

A highlight: "The vision of City Center is to make it a urban center for Newport News. The development is designed to mix office space with housing, including an 18-story high rise condo complex. Almost every building has shops and restaurants on the first floor. In the long run, this will be a place for families to live and be within walking distance to every imaginable service. "

:)

Taken from the Daily Press today:

The name of the Lee Hall and Endview projects have been renamed and consolidated into the "Asheton" project. It will have a larger residential component (1,605 units) and smaller retail and office components (180,000 s/f combined).

The local reaction in the area is mixed, but not overtly negative, so that bodes well. Build-out is slated for 10 years with a minimal total investment of $500 million.

WOOP! There's a great pic that reminds me a bit of a more residential-oriented Port Warwick. Newport News is really starting to draw the bigger, better-quality projects and it'll really re-make the city.

The name of the Lee Hall and Endview projects have been renamed and consolidated into the "Asheton" project.  It will have a larger residential component (1,605 units) and smaller retail and office components (180,000 s/f combined).

The local reaction in the area is mixed, but not overtly negative, so that bodes well.  Build-out is slated for 10 years with a minimal total investment of $500 million.

WOOP!  There's a great pic that reminds me a bit of a more residential-oriented Port Warwick.  Newport News is really starting to draw the bigger, better-quality projects and it'll really re-make the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is killer dude. Its great to see the more urban this area is getting. I'm hoping that it attracts even more to this area such as white collar jobs! :thumbsup: What we have to realize is that we are all effected by each others moves.

The name of the Lee Hall and Endview projects have been renamed and consolidated into the "Asheton" project.  It will have a larger residential component (1,605 units) and smaller retail and office components (180,000 s/f combined).

The local reaction in the area is mixed, but not overtly negative, so that bodes well.  Build-out is slated for 10 years with a minimal total investment of $500 million.

WOOP!  There's a great pic that reminds me a bit of a more residential-oriented Port Warwick.  Newport News is really starting to draw the bigger, better-quality projects and it'll really re-make the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This project is on the verge of making me sick. First of all, the project is out in the middle of farmlands. There is nothing remotely around it. It is nowhere close to any major part of the city. The closest thing to it is the Lee hall trains station a bunch of farmland and woods and newport news park. It is irresponsible to build this out in the middle of nowhere. Port warwick was done in the middle of an already bustling area. This area will be out in the sticks, and will never be connected to the main city, due to the park, and ft. eustis. It is nothing more than a visual reminder of the cities desire to gobble up every bit of land in its continued strive to move northward eating up all resources. One day this project will bite city council in the a$$. They will have a hard time attracting retail to this project because you have to have clientell come from outside the development as well, thus the reason port warwick is doing so well. You think there clients come only from port warwick, think again. I would say half of there business is from locals already living in the area. How many people live around lee hall? Nothing, and those who do live in the area are low income and live in trailers. No one is going to drive to the outer limits of the city to go shopping when they can do better closer. Thus, turning the project into nothing but residential homes eventually.

This project is on the verge of making me sick.  First of all, the project is out in the middle of farmlands.  There is nothing remotely around it.  It is nowhere close to any major part of the city.  The closest thing to it is the Lee hall trains station a bunch of farmland and woods and newport news park.  It is irresponsible to build this out in the middle of nowhere.  Port warwick was done in the middle of an already bustling area.  This area will be out in the sticks, and will never be connected to the main city, due to the park, and ft. eustis.  It is nothing more than a visual reminder of the cities desire to gobble up every bit of land in its continued strive to move northward eating up all resources.  One day this project will bite city council in the a$$.  They will have a hard time attracting retail to this project because you have to have clientell come from outside the development as well, thus the reason port warwick is doing so well.  You think there clients come only from port warwick, think again.  I would say half of there business is from locals already living in the area.  How many people live around lee hall?  Nothing, and those who do live in the area are low income and live in trailers.  No one is going to drive to the outer limits of the city to go shopping when they can do better closer.  Thus, turning the project into nothing but residential homes eventually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well your argument falls apart when you consider its proximity to the historic triangle. Its been slated as a complementary component of the historic area. The whole idea was to attract more tourism to Newport News (as opposed to what is there now - nothing) and to stop the hemorrhaging of upscale residents to the counties and Williamsburg. It was never meant to be a major regional shopping destination - you're right, we have Oyster Point for that, but it is meant to preserve a critical tax base and bring in tourism to an underused and potentially very lucrative area.

Well your argument falls apart when you consider its proximity to the historic triangle. Its been slated as a complementary component of the historic area. The whole idea was to attract more tourism to Newport News (as opposed to what is there now - nothing) and to stop the hemorrhaging of upscale residents to the counties and Williamsburg. It was never meant to be a major regional shopping destination - you're right, we have Oyster Point for that, but it is meant to preserve a critical tax base and bring in tourism to an underused and potentially very lucrative area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This development is almost 10 miles from historic triangle. And also, most residents in wiliamsburg and JCC live west and north of the triangle. Making it even farther from this development. No one in williamsburg in there right mind will travel 10 miles to shop at this place when williamsburg has there own mixed use eclectic shopping and condos going in called New Town. Not to mention the fantastic shopping they already have. No matter how you try to market it it will fail commercially. Residentially it will thrive, but not commercially. The commercial aspect of this place has already been scaled down as the article says. Give it some more time and this place will become nothing more than a burb. Cutting a community off from population is no way to get business. It is ten miles to williamsburg and almost another 7 miles before you get to NNWIA. Bordered by ft. eustis to the west, Newport News park to the south, and the Naval Weapons station to the the North and colonial national historic park to the east. The only area it isn't cut off from are the poor communities living in the Lee Hall Area. No one in there right mind will come to this area when it is much more convenient to do so closer to home. It's a simple case of demand. Williamsburg residents have no need for shopping here and newport news residents have no need to shop there. The only residents that will shop there are people who live there which is not enough to support it. It doen't help that it is off of the main corridors, although I will give them the fact that they have half decent access to highway.

I like the project... development will come to that property regardless (and people already visit the area for the two attractions: Lee Hall and Endview, so why not boost the tourism---and $$$$---in that area?). It's a little urban for my taste in that area... but I can't think of anything that would better-compliment the area. Plus, I've noticed that the Williamsburg area is getting much bigger than it was even 5 years ago... so eventually this area will also be incorporated into that development area.

Also, 10 miles isn't that far to drive for shopping or entertainment... It's about the same from my house to either Coliseum or Patrick Henry Malls and people FLOCK to the Tabb area in droves, so idk if that idea is a founded argument. I used to drive right along there (Ft. Eustis Blvd. and I think it's still Jefferson Ave. up there?) each day and I think there's potential there as a tourist destination. People just don't want to go out there when nothing else is around, which is why I think Carter's Grove did so poorly. Hopefully the combination of good highway access and an existing neighborhood close by (large apartment complex) will help at least maintain the commercial sector... though I'm uncertain.

Whatever is built it has to be better than dead lawns and weeds and fields, and will become a big tax boon for the city (...yay taxes!!!!!!!!!!................................-_-)

Since when did anyone figure it would supercede Colonial Williamsburg as the focal point of the historic area? Like I said before, the main reason they are developing the area is entirely out of concern that high tax bracket residents were moving to Williamsburg and the counties. This would specifically cater to them. Even though the city says the area is underdeveloped, the propery sits right adjacent to areas that do have contiguous developments on them. My friend's father actually owns an apt complex down there and he's making a killing. I imagine he'll be upgrading those apartments soon enough.

Anyway, the Lee Hall are gets a modest amount of tourism as it is without a half billion dollars of new development. This new development just may give it a much needed shot in the arm of investment that will encourage people to come. While 180,000 square feet isn't Merchant's Square, it aint nothing either. With the residential concentration and shops, it will give new impetus for people to come to the area. I don't think 10 miles is such an impossible distance given the fact that people always brave our horrendous traffic problem to get from the Peninsula to DT Norfolk of Va Beach which is about 20 miles at the closest point (via MMBT). Compartively speaking, its a hop, skip, and a jump away from both CW and NNWIA ... and easy to drive to via Rt 60 which makes the transportation issue far less daunting.

I just started up school again and I've been settling into all that. I'm juggling school with work and some other stuff so its given me less time for leisure. Plus I'm not at a computer all the time like I used to be over the summer. I hope everyone is doing well.

heh i thought so at the time. ive gotten used to it so that's that.

so does anyone care about nn development yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but only marginally so. I lived in Williamsburg for four years, so I do have some interest in how your neighbors are doing up I-64. I visited NN quite a few times prior to Patrick Henry's most recent renovation and was not particularly impressed. While I am certainly glad to see and hear about developments in your neck of the woods, I agree wholeheartedly with Urban's comments relative to NN's selling of the Asheton project (both to the general public and to prospective commercial tenants) as decidedly mixed use. Indeed, I fear that NN officials have caught the dreaded spin virus from Chesapeake (RE: Chesapeake Town Center). This Asheton thing will end up becoming a nice residential enclave with a smattering of inconsequential direct service retail. Having said that, I do like the Meridian concept.

Edited by baobabs727

Looks like Newport News will finally discover what good pizza really tastes like!

Bottom's Up is expanding and putting its first outside of Richmond location in Newport News...It will be in the CNU Village shopping center in Newport News across from Christopher Newport University. It is slated to open in December.

their pizza is definitely two :thumbsup::thumbsup: ..... if you ever get a chance to go to the original Bottom's Up in DT Richmond, take that chance! Its got an Awesome atmosphere....

oh btw... good luck eating more than 1 slice lol