Newport News Development

urbanfan

I don't harbor any negative feelings for HR at all. Quite the contrary. I'm rooting for the area. My remarks in this thread criticize what I think is a poor building design, regardless of where it's located. I'm supportive of most of these projects on the whole. But it's important to note that they're not perfect and pointing out those imperfections is an important exercise so that the next development may not meet the same flaws.

This Marriott is great for NN but the building is ugly, IMO. I'd hope the next one built in HR would be much more original.

I have nothing against CNU. Christopher Nobody Univ is just a fun name we had for CNU when I was in high school.

Oh, and that Simpsons episode--is it the one with the 3-eyed fish? If I see a 3-eyed fish in NJ waters it won't be the third eye that surprises me. It will be the fact that something is surviving in that water!

Edited by lammius

In case anybody missed it. Christopher Newport University unveiled it's new Ferguson Center. :thumbsup: Looks pretty impressive to me, but then what would a simpleton like me know about the Arts. :blush: Anyhow, read the story from the Daily Press then check out their slide show. B)

Fergusonnight.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FergusonCenter.jpg

Great job C.N.U.!

In case anybody missed it. Christopher Newport University unveiled it's new Ferguson Center. :thumbsup:  Looks pretty impressive to me, but then what would a simpleton like me know about the Arts. :blush:  Anyhow, read the story from the Daily Press then check out their slide show. B)

Fergusonnight.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FergusonCenter.jpg

Great job C.N.U.!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pay attention CMSS, this is real architecture.

In case anybody missed it. Christopher Newport University unveiled it's new Ferguson Center. :thumbsup:  Looks pretty impressive to me, but then what would a simpleton like me know about the Arts. :blush:  Anyhow, read the story from the Daily Press then check out their slide show. B)

FergusonCenter.jpg

Great job C.N.U.!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like the pix. Thanx! CNU is rivaling ODU, without a doubt. And, I'm an ODU alumnist. I think the Ferguson Center is just as nice as the Ted Constant Convocation Center. They have totally different looks though.

Marriott is usually not far from the Golden Mean of Blandness. While perfectly acceptable, Marriott hotels and Marriott food rarely venture into uncharted territory. Remember that this is the same company which issues instruction manuals on how to set a table for breakfast. Everything is calculated. Everything usually works, but any spontaneity has usually been chafed away by the accounting department...

Edited by tombarnes

central_tower.jpg

This has not been build yet, but is underway. Here's a little tidbit of info from an article:

Central Tower. This building will include the addition of approximately 320,622 square feet of space above the new Emergency/Trauma Center. A new operating suite, a day surgery unit, new critical care units, a new mother/baby unit, additional private rooms and easier access to outpatient services are all part of this next phase of Riverside's expansion.

Traffic and Parking. The construction of a new 600 space parking structure, pedestrian sidewalks and new access roads will make it easier and more convenient to come to Riverside Regional Medical Center, whether you're seeking treatment or visiting a loved one.

With this addition and the new Medical Arts center at Port Warwick, Newport News is competing with the EMS, Norfolk Sentara, Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters complex. Still has a long way to go since that complex has expanded a lot also. I think there will be a pre-med program offered at CNU in the future, in cunjunction with Riverside Hospital.

Fergusonnight.jpg

FergusonCenter.jpg

Great job C.N.U.!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW!!! I'll bet you guys and gals are bursting with pride over this beautiful Ferguson Center. And to think, benefactor Bill Ferguson was an old poker buddy 35 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Pilot article, Ferguson has $7.1 billion in revenue. Although it's owned by a British firm, Ferguson is headquartered in NN. Theoretically, it's an F-500 company. I believe NNSB is also at that level. I know it was an F-500 company between being spun off by Tenneco in 1996 and acquired by Northrup Grumman in 2001. Although it is a separate business unit within NG, it is lummed with the Ship Systems division for accounting purposes. Combined, shipbuilding accounts for over $6 billion in sales. Based on employment numbers, I'd say at least half, probably more like 2/3, of the $6 billion is from NNSB. HR may only have two independent F-500 firms, but there are two F-500 sized business units headquartered in NN.