Newport News Development

urbanfan

The first high rise in DT Newport News since 1986 could arrive as early as 2007, says the Daily Press.

There was an article about the Navy wanting to build upwards of 725 new units for 1500 new sailors and some of the 725 are supposed to go in DT Newport News (30th-32nd streets on two rather small blocks... hmm). The prospects for a high rise appear fairly good--the article seemed to allude to that. Keep your fingers crossed! Getting a couple hundred new people downtown will be good for the area! (And not all will be Navy; several of the apartments will be for rent when ships aren't undergoing reconstruction at the shipyards).

Anddd... I'm curious about this "big news"! 11 days... :whistling:

The first high rise in DT Newport News since 1986 could arrive as early as 2007, says the Daily Press.

There was an article about the Navy wanting to build upwards of 725 new units for 1500 new sailors and some of the 725 are supposed to go in DT Newport News (30th-32nd streets on two rather small blocks... hmm). The prospects for a high rise appear fairly good--the article seemed to allude to that. Keep your fingers crossed! Getting a couple hundred new people downtown will be good for the area! (And not all will be Navy; several of the apartments will be for rent when ships aren't undergoing reconstruction at the shipyards).

Anddd... I'm curious about this "big news"! 11 days... :whistling:

umm....Link? :whistling: I would love to read this article. Is it in todays paper?

Also, this highrise could be connect to the major office announcement as well.

I'm definately intrigued.

NN city council hopes bus routes spur shopping

"The city hopes the service will minimize congestion between City Center and Port Warwick."

"Newport News is concerned that the new developments will cause a corridor of traffic congestion that will worsen as City Center gets finished next year. More than 10,000 people already work in the Oyster Point area, and they will increasingly compete for road space with new tourists and shoppers."

Wolseley is the owner of Ferguson enterprises, which is already headquartered here correct? I might be wrong but I believe they do own Ferguson. We will have to see how all of this shakes out.

Wolseley is the owner of Ferguson enterprises, which is already headquartered here correct? I might be wrong but I believe they do own Ferguson. We will have to see how all of this shakes out.

Yes, It was recently purchased by them. I think it was about a year ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What is funny*sarcasm* is everytime we get a company that started here and is getting big someone comes and buys it out.

Yes, It was recently purchased by them. I think it was about a year ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What is funny*sarcasm* is everytime we get a company that started here and is getting big someone comes and buys it out.

If I am not mistaken Furguson is doing very well and expanding in other places as well.

Doing well but not locally owned anymore

Correction, with wolseley moving its headquarters here, it will be locally owned. The article did say that it was building the facility to house its headquarters. I wonder if this could be the final piece of land in City Center being built. The last lot with a 220,000 sq. foot headquarters. They have no reason to build a warehouse, considering Fergusons facilities up the street house that function already. Not to mention that there isn't another lot near the ferguson campus to put up a headquarters facility.

Correction, with wolseley moving its headquarters here, it will be locally owned. The article did say that it was building the facility to house its headquarters. I wonder if this could be the final piece of land in City Center being built. The last lot with a 220,000 sq. foot headquarters. They have no reason to build a warehouse, considering Fergusons facilities up the street house that function already. Not to mention that there isn't another lot near the ferguson campus to put up a headquarters facility.

I guess I didn't read the entire article like I should have. Sorry! Well this would bring some nice paying jobs to the area.

This is AWESOME news!!! "400+ high-paying jobs to Newport News" ... not too shabby.

Architecturally, from the video on WAVY, the building appears to be fairly impressive. I'm not fond of the sea of parking lots out front, but it's still going to be a GREAT addition to Oyster Point and the catalyst for further development of the area.

This is AWESOME news!!! "400+ high-paying jobs to Newport News" ... not too shabby.

Architecturally, from the video on WAVY, the building appears to be fairly impressive. I'm not fond of the sea of parking lots out front, but it's still going to be a GREAT addition to Oyster Point and the catalyst for further development of the area.

Did it actually say it was high paying jobs??? I hope so :unsure:

It is excellent news. I just hate to see 220,000 sq ft squandered on a building so large. This would've been an excellent opportunity to continue the urbanization of that area and perhaps complete that office tower that is in the last on the city center renderings. Couldn't you just imagine a highrise rising over the treetops with the corporate logo of Stihl emblazoned on the top? :) Well, one can dream can't he? It would make a great impact on 64. At either rate 400 high paying jobs is awesome. The ripple effect from this should spur additional development in that area.

Looks like this is a better deal than expected. However, this will not go in to City Center, they will be expanding the current five story building at the airport. This will have big implications for the city and the airport. This could ultimately bring some international flights to NNWIA, because of constant flights between london and Newport News. The 400 jobs is just starting off though, they said that future expansions could bring as many as three more buildings to the campus. It would be like a mini-city to itself. There are already two low rise buildings on the campus, add the expansion, and three more buildings, and this has the makings of a new fortune 500 company in Newport news. There is a picture in the daily press this morning of this first expansion. I'll try to scan it in and put it on here.

In the mean time, here is the article from the paper.

Looks like this is a better deal than expected. However, this will not go in to City Center, they will be expanding the current five story building at the airport. This will have big implications for the city and the airport. This could ultimately bring some international flights to NNWIA, because of constant flights between london and Newport News. The 400 jobs is just starting off though, they said that future expansions could bring as many as three more buildings to the campus. It would be like a mini-city to itself. There are already two low rise buildings on the campus, add the expansion, and three more buildings, and this has the makings of a new fortune 500 company in Newport news. There is a picture in the daily press this morning of this first expansion. I'll try to scan it in and put it on here.

In the mean time, here is the article from the paper.

I thought that NNWI couldn't handle the big planes for international flights? Don't they have room to build another runway that would accomodate such a flight?

I thought that NNWI couldn't handle the big planes for international flights? Don't they have room to build another runway that would accomodate such a flight?

There runway is not long enough right now, but they have plenty of room to expand, with lots of vacant land around the airport.