Motto by Hilton Hotel (311 3rd Ave. South Hotel, 13 stories/145', 260 rooms, 3,000 sq. ft. restaurant/retail space)

markhollin

Didn't the owners refuse to sell to the developers of the Hyatt House?   It'd be nice to see more infill, although I think that little building looks organic like you see in larger, old city centers. 

I doubt this will ever happen... just for sheer logistics of building in that tight of a space. Maybe something shorter, but I'd like to see the numbers on how many rooms would be needed to make this work. Methinks Genos/Sole Mio should have sold when the "gettin" was good. I actually like that little building. It's been years since I ate at Sole Mio, and IIRC it was in another building up on RMH.  Anyway, this looks like Geno could be biting off more than he can chew. BTW: Someone may know if this building was once Have A Nice Day bar... do I remember that from the mid-1990s? 

• Like 2

I will be quite curious in the layout of the rooms and hallway on the upper floors.

Thinking about the fiber cement board more and while I was initially disheartened by it, it can be done well. There are manufacturers out there such as Equitone who have been doing it a long time and have great products that look great. We have grown so used to the disappointment of the James Hardie's of the world on the apartment buildings that the term as development a connotation with those outside of the AEC industry. 

Hopefully the design develops nicely and is executed well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I will be quite curious in the layout of the rooms and hallway on the upper floors.

Thinking about the fiber cement board more and while I was initially disheartened by it, it can be done well. There are manufacturers out there such as Equitone who have been doing it a long time and have great products that look great. We have grown so used to the disappointment of the James Hardie's of the world on the apartment buildings that the term as development a connotation with those outside of the AEC industry. 

Hopefully the design develops nicely and is executed well.

Equitone, Swisspearl, Taktl.  There are good ones out there.   Doubt very much this will be a Hardi panel.

• Like 2

Just now, CandyAisles said:

Equitone, Swisspearl, Taktl.  There are good ones out there.   Doubt very much this will be a Hardi panel.

Absolutely! I just referenced Hardie based some reactions that I experienced prior to this thread. Hardie isn't a great rainscreen product either to me, or is sub par to the ones you referenced and I think this group has just been underwhelmed by Hardie enough that it is automatically associated to "Fiber Cement" described matierals.

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Yeah, that’s a head scratcher. Looking at the location of elevators and stairways, and the amount of front facing windows has me wondering the same question.

Plus the building is narrow, and there’s no chance of any windows on the sides. This is incredibly interesting.

• Like 2

Both adjacent hotels look to be "L" shaped, so there is some ability to have side window as you go back and up. They may do light wells, with windows looking essentially looking into a shaft with a skylight above. I stayed in a hotel like that one time. It was disappointing but the room was super high end and also we spent little time in it. 

Hotels (R1 Occupancies) do not trigger the same emergency escape requirements that Apartments (R2 Occupancies) do, but there are other stipulations. That being said, the Moxy on 3rd has multiple rooms that don't have windows and will soon have even more as the Bottled Blonde project appears set to cover up more. There are also code requirements for windows (an other openings in exterior walls) with regards to their proximity to the property line. I have complete faith in the design (presumably being led by ESa) will find a creative way to lay these rooms out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• markhollin changed the title to 311 3rd Ave. South Hotel (13 stories/145', unknown amount of rooms)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Motto by Hilton Hotel (311 3rd Ave. South Hotel, 13 stories/145', 256 rooms)
  • 2 months later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Motto by Hilton Hotel (311 3rd Ave. South Hotel, 13 stories/145', 260 rooms, 3,000 sq. ft. restaurant/retail space)
  • 1 month later...

Minnesota-based real estate firm Mortenson Co. has filed for a permit to allow construction of the future building’s structural frame. The permit notes a separate permit will be needed to raze the site’s building, which most recently accommodated pizzeria and comedy venue Gino’s East.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/real-estate-notes-micro-room-sobro-hotel-plan-progresses/article_04571896-9ebc-11ee-968a-3fe5317e5a4e.html

• Like 3