Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Detroit has been looking for someone to redevelop the old Tiger Stadium for the last 6 years.....but nothing has come through....

Pontiac has been looking for someone to redevelop the Silverdome for the last 4 years...nothing has come through.

Arenas and Stadiums are built for a certain purpose, and redeveloping them into something else that makes the building efficient at its new purpose is often more expensive than building a new facility....

Agreed Sadly Old Tiger Stadium is being torn down more than likely. I think it's being sold to a developer now.

God I hope they go overboard on this one

We need something stunning and huge and able to bring out huge amounts of people

I'm tired of Orlando being the neglected stepchild of FLA cities, it's our turn now

From what I remember hearing the PAC is to be a 100+ year venue. Compare that to the Bob Car which is 80, the History Center 79, or the O'rena which is 17. To me that means a substantial building made with lots of quality materials. Stunning yes, classy yes, but I don't know if huge is necessary. Bigger than Carr obviously, but not so cavernous that it loses its acoustics for plays, operas, and that sort of thing.

from an nba insider website:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18201.shtml

ORLANDO: The Magic will be getting a new arena, informed sources say the team may be close to announcing the terms of the agreement, but its believed the team is going to partner with a developer willing to donate the land for a new building, in exchange for a minor stake in the team. The new arena will be part of a larger development near Orlando

ORLANDO: The Magic will be getting a new arena, informed sources say the team may be close to announcing the terms of the agreement, but its believed the team is going to partner with a developer willing to donate the land for a new building, in exchange for a minor stake in the team. The new arena will be part of a larger development near Orlando

... if the hotels are paying for this why shouldnt the magic play near I-drive somewhere?

The hotels are paying LOL! The hotels are not paying a dime. Their guest are paying and the hotel is just passing it along. That is not the hotels' money. It's a tax levied by the state to guests of the hotels for tourism, sports, and cultural venues. As a tax the decisions on how the money is used is made by elected officials. If this is a payback for NOTHING I'd be really pissed.

the more i think of it, the more i think that i was a fool not to see this coming. there had to have been a catch since the hotel industry "suddenly" endorsed a new arena with the bed tax money.

im trying not to blow this out of proportion because this is only an nba rumor site. ive seen them get things wrong before.

however, what scares me is that they were very accurate with their reporting of shaq going to the heat many weeks before it happened and before any of the mainstream sports press caught on. lets hope they are not as accurate for this issue.

The hotels are paying LOL! The hotels are not paying a dime. Their guest are paying and the hotel is just passing it along. That is not the hotels' money. It's a tax levied by the state to guests of the hotels for tourism, sports, and cultural venues. As a tax the decisions on how the money is used is made by elected officials. If this is a payback for NOTHING I'd be really pissed.

You know what i mean. I know its the tourists paying, but If it wasnt for the gazillion hotel rooms in the I-Drive area there wouldnt be any tax. And any increase with the way the economy is, there is always fear it may run off tourists. Face it, the new arena belongs somewhere down there, and if it all possible, maybe near the Orange County Convention Center.

Well exactly what kind of influence can Dyer flex to prevent this from happening?

Does he really have any particular incentive he can offer to keep them downtown?

I believe they have a lease with the city & not the county. That alone may prevent them from playing in the unincorporated area.

There are off times for tourism & conventions, do you really think the Magic will be wanting to play then?

Well I certainly hope that lease with the city holds up

It'll certainly be quite the kick to the teeth to Crotty if the arena does stay in Orlando

I have nothing against the guy, he has the right goals in mind but I will openly admit, the county "mayor" needs just a little more humility thrown in there for size

By the way, is he up for re-election anytime soon and if so, does he qualify to run again?