Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

if in fact it goes near I-Drive, that would explain the smirk on Rosen's face during the newscast of the vote on TV35 the other morning (I think Friday).

the ONLY way this could work is if they improved 528, I-4, Sand Lake exit, did the Kirkman extension, improved the Kirkman exit, and so on. Otherwise, it will be like seeing the Braves spring training at wide world of sports where there's only one way in or out.

if the new arena goes near the OCCC, and they incorporate them together somehow, and that so called World Trade deal happens also, then they could create a really neat mega development there.

As for the land developer willing to pony up his land, I bet you its the Georgia guy who tried to get ORL to annex all that land off Univ. Blvd. that got Crotty's panties in a bunch last year.

Edited by JRS1

Are you serious? We need to amend that law quickly. No one should have that power for life. I don't see how this will be a kick to the teeth for Crotty if the arena goes downtown.

I'm kidding of course. Just tweaking the congenital Crotty-bashers. It is just patently absurd this notion that he's locked in mortal battle with downtown boosters. If that were the case, then I should think that we'd see machinations on his part to locate the PAC outside of town.

FYI, I'd much prefer to see the Magic stay downtown. But is it possible, just possible that locating elsewhere makes more financial sense ?

As for the land developer willing to pony up his land, I bet you its the Georgia guy who tried to get ORL to annex all that land off Univ. Blvd. that got Crotty's panties in a bunch last year.

Good guess. I would say either there, or someplace that (I think) is already in the city, the only large parcel that's accessible enough to make sense and is cleared and ready to go-and a parcel which the developer has already written about somewhere else on this site. I am speaking of the old Delta resort site on Kirkman and I-4, nestled next to Universal.

The hotels around there would love it, but it's not too close to I-drive-but close enough to build a pedestrian bridge over I-4. You could walk to Citywalk. Also, no free parking for locals and not really close enough to any homes for anybody to walk. Makes sense....

Of course then again I could be way off :unsure: maybe it's not deep enough?

Edited by neon9

Good guess. I would say either there, or someplace that (I think) is already in the city, the only large parcel that's accessible enough to make sense and is cleared and ready to go-and a parcel which the developer has already written about somewhere else on this site. I am speaking of the old Delta resort site on Kirkman and I-4, nestled next to Universal.

The hotels around there would love it, but it's not too close to I-drive-but close enough to build a pedestrian bridge over I-4. You could walk to Citywalk. Also, no free parking for locals and not really close enough to any homes for anybody to walk. Makes sense....

Of course then again I could be way off :unsure: maybe it's not deep enough?

yeah, I don't think the lot is deep enough either. plus, everything else around the Delta site just needs to be torn down-- its so cheap and outdated and has no business being so close to Univ. Studios-- major transformation needed.

I think prob. its the Georgia guy-- unless, unless, Rosen owns more land down there and he's the one they're referring to.

The Arena is going downtown. Thats where it is now and thats where it belongs.

Why would the city of Orlando (with Dyer as one of downtowns biggest fans) support so much $$ to a proposal that is outside of the CBD. The whole idea was to provide/build a complex for the local citizens of Orlando to utilize for entertainment purposes. I think it is worth noting what is being proposed:

1. An arena (already downtown)

2. PAC (confirmed the site already (downtown))

3. Refurbished Citurs Bowl (also downtown).

Do you really see Dyer dumping $100 million out of the cities coffers to build in "Downtown Orange County". No F*ing way!

I'll tell you this: if it ends up outside of downtown, I give up. And if Dyer lets it happen, in my eyes he will have undone everything good that he has done up until this point.

The Arena is going downtown. Thats where it is now and thats where it belongs.

Why would the city of Orlando (with Dyer as one of downtowns biggest fans) support so much $$ to a proposal that is outside of the CBD. The whole idea was to provide/build a complex for the local citizens of Orlando to utilize for entertainment purposes. I think it is worth noting what is being proposed:

1. An arena (already downtown)

2. PAC (confirmed the site already (downtown))

3. Refurbished Citurs Bowl (also downtown).

Do you really see Dyer dumping $100 million out of the cities coffers to build in "Downtown Orange County". No F*ing way!

I'll tell you this: if it ends up outside of downtown, I give up. And if Dyer lets it happen, in my eyes he will have undone everything good that he has done up until this point.

I think a lot of us would give up as well. The fall-out of building the arena outside of downtown would be catastrophic for Dyer.

Don't forget, he wants his legacy and rule of the city to be judged by the rebirth of the Paramore area. Let's not forget this picture...

concept11lg1.jpg

Edited by pip

From what I remember hearing the PAC is to be a 100+ year venue. Compare that to the Bob Car which is 80, the History Center 79, or the O'rena which is 17. To me that means a substantial building made with lots of quality materials. Stunning yes, classy yes, but I don't know if huge is necessary. Bigger than Carr obviously, but not so cavernous that it loses its acoustics for plays, operas, and that sort of thing.

Who is to say that you can'thave both size and quality?

An Orlando article today has an hint on where the arena will locate,

Why would Orlando pay $600,000 for this house?

The city plans to spend $6.8 million on this and 4 other parcels in Parramore.

Mark Schlueb {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted July 26, 2006

....."Another possibility would put the land at the center of Dyer's push for new downtown venues. Some city officials, including Commissioner Daisy Lynum -- who represents Parramore -- want a new National Basketball Association arena built at the corner of West Church Street and Hughey Avenue."....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this location make sense since there are a lot of empty land there with many houses with no historical value. And the arena can feed off the existing entertainment from 55 West, PTP. and it is closer to the bar too. A streetcar can also be built to join the PAC going thru Churh Street to the stadium, this will eliminating building many garages for parking. They can all use the same garage.

CHurch & Hughey, huh.

It could work. It would further connect Cityview to DT. Wow. if so, maybe they will incorporate a new ramp onto 408 as well, since its right there. more access to alleviate congestion (if possible).

In fact, there is nothing but empty lots all the way to Division, even farther south than Anderson. those could also fill up with developments.

I can see it as well.

Now, picture a view of DT from the south with a new taller arena on the left and 55W on the right. all lit up. and if Hughes builds a second tower it will really change that area.

Now here's a question: If the new arena goes there and if commuter rail gets built, would there build another DT station at the arena, i.e., just south of Church St. Sta. for the arena, or would they just bus people from there, since it is a bus depot?

I outlined the potential site in Google Earth to show its location relative to the rest of the Central Business District (in purple).

Note:

-Its extraordinary visibility from I-4/408 (especially with the new interchanges)

-Its proximity to Church Sreet, The Esplanade, The Plaza, Orange Ave. night spots, and future Performing Arts Center.

-The latest Orlando Sentinel article about commuter rail indicated that there would be a stop at Church Street Station, which be located just a block from the new arena.

-How much parking garage sharing could be had between the facilities of the arena, PAC, Plaza, Esplanade, and public garages in the CBD.

-It fits into the city's plan to extend Lymmo service west into Parramore.

-Just my opinion, but a new arena in this location would not help out developers looking to build in Uptown (i.e. CityPlace). Instead, I think it would help to shift the focus back to the CBD, which would be great for the urban environment and continuity of downtown.

newarenalocationmh9.jpg

CHurch & Hughey, huh.

It could work. It would further connect Cityview to DT. Wow. if so, maybe they will incorporate a new ramp onto 408 as well, since its right there. more access to alleviate congestion (if possible).

In fact, there is nothing but empty lots all the way to Division, even farther south than Anderson. those could also fill up with developments.

I can see it as well.

Now, picture a view of DT from the south with a new taller arena on the left and 55W on the right. all lit up. and if Hughes builds a second tower it will really change that area.

Now here's a question: If the new arena goes there and if commuter rail gets built, would there build another DT station at the arena, i.e., just south of Church St. Sta. for the arena, or would they just bus people from there, since it is a bus depot?

I thought that Church Street was one of the planned stations already.

I thought that Church Street was one of the planned stations already.

Initially the commuter rail was slated to have only one stop downtown, at the Lynx Central Station. The next closest stops were to be at Florda Hopsital to the north and Orlando Amtrak/ORMC Station to the south.

I believe this Church Street stop is a fairly recent addition.

Initially the commuter rail was slated to have only one stop downtown, at the Lynx Central Station. The next closest stops were to be at Florda Hopsital to the north and Orlando Amtrak/ORMC Station to the south.

I believe this Church Street stop is a fairly recent addition.

really? that would be awesome. "Church Street Station" being a real station again.