Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Thanks, I appreciate the kudos

Believe it or not, I have some very unique ideas for downtown for future developments that require razing a few areas but sadly to say, since I am not a billionaire developer, it will probably forever remain a fantasy

I absolutely love your idea of an arena complex that could include an arena, minor league ballpark and who knows what else

Look what they did in JAX, back in 2000 voters approved a 1/2 cent sales tax increase and they got a beautiful new arena, a beautiful new minor league stadium for the JAX Suns, a beautiful new public library and massive upgrades/renovations to Alltell stadium just in time for hosting the SuperBowl

All of this is in one cluster in the old JAX shipyards and its awesome

I am incredibly jealous for my friends that still live in JAX

Amazing isn't it, JAX residents vote FOR a sales tax increase for new arenas to party and hang out in yet Orlando residents vote AGAINST a sales tax increase to 12 lane I-4 for about 30 miles

Not to mention the fact Tampa residents voted FOR a sales tax increase for the Bucs to get Raymond James Staidum, and this was BEFORE the team changed logo, BEFORE they got rid of the crappy orange/white uniforms and 2 seasons BEFORE the team started making regular playoff appearances for the 1st time in 20+ years

What the hell is wrong with us?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thats b/c Orlando is transplant so they dont want to spend their money on a City they think they are too good for...which I simply say, "Go Home Then!" Most Orlandians don't deserve the future that forward thinkers like those in this forum are carving out!

Thanks, I appreciate the kudos

Believe it or not, I have some very unique ideas for downtown for future developments that require razing a few areas but sadly to say, since I am not a billionaire developer, it will probably forever remain a fantasy

I absolutely love your idea of an arena complex that could include an arena, minor league ballpark and who knows what else

Look what they did in JAX, back in 2000 voters approved a 1/2 cent sales tax increase and they got a beautiful new arena, a beautiful new minor league stadium for the JAX Suns, a beautiful new public library and massive upgrades/renovations to Alltell stadium just in time for hosting the SuperBowl

All of this is in one cluster in the old JAX shipyards and its awesome

I am incredibly jealous for my friends that still live in JAX

Amazing isn't it, JAX residents vote FOR a sales tax increase for new arenas to party and hang out in yet Orlando residents vote AGAINST a sales tax increase to 12 lane I-4 for about 30 miles

Not to mention the fact Tampa residents voted FOR a sales tax increase for the Bucs to get Raymond James Staidum, and this was BEFORE the team changed logo, BEFORE they got rid of the crappy orange/white uniforms and 2 seasons BEFORE the team started making regular playoff appearances for the 1st time in 20+ years

What the hell is wrong with us?!?!?!?!?!?!

We don't need to raise our sales tax for an arena, that's one of the great things about living in Orlando. Remember, we did vote ourselves a tax raise on education, which I think says more about an area than raising it for a sports complex.

We're going to get a new arena, a refurbished Citrus Bowl and a PAC, and I'm all for all of those things.

For the record I would have voted against a sales tax increases to widen I-4.

I was listening to Bud Heddinger today and he made a good point. What's the point of refurbishing our Citrus bowl? We probably won't get an NFL team since Tampa which is a little over and hour away has one and so does Jacksonville. What's the points of spending a quarter of a billion dollars on a stadium that you can't put a football team in? I am all for the Orena and the Opac but what's the point of the Citrus bowl?

I was listening to Bud Heddinger today and he made a good point. What's the point of refurbishing our Citrus bowl? We probably won't get an NFL team since Tampa which is a little over and hour away has one and so does Jacksonville. What's the points of spending a quarter of a billion dollars on a stadium that you can't put a football team in? I am all for the Orena and the Opac but what's the point of the Citrus bowl?

Maybe MLS could find a home in Orlando one day? They could easily use a nice updated arena. If that happened then Orlando would become the dominant team for Florida. HUGE market potential there, that is of course, if someone can step up to the plate when MLS comes looking for expansion cities.

Edited by mrh3

Jones Tigers play there and I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Also, Orlando could miraculously become the soccer capitol of the US??

I agree with Bud Heddinger on this one.

For the record I would have voted against a sales tax increases to widen I-4.

not me.

I am all for trains and all, but not in lieu of widening I-4. rush hour traffic--- I was zooming east on I-4 with bumper to bumper traffic-- but it was moving-- until the Lee Rd. exit, which is where the 8th lane cuts off. I would support any tax to get I-4 at least 8 lanes thru the St. John's Bridge to the north and 8 lanes at least to 532 at Championsgate.

THe exit to exit lanes have worked well, but they also represent some true widening as well, from Ivanhoe to Lee, and from Anderson to JYP to the south of DT. THis is what they have to do to get 8 lanes continuous:

1. add w lanes at JYP;

2. redo Kirkman overpass

3. add 2 lanes at Sand Lake Rd.

4. add 2 lanes at 535

5. add 2 lanes at Lee Rd.

6. add 2 lanes at 434

7. add 1 or 2 lanes at 46

8. add 2 lanes at the Bridge

9. widen between 414 and 46

10. widen between Ivanhoe and 408

11. widen between Conroy and Sand Lake WB

12. widen between Sand Lake thru 528 interchange

13. widen from 535 to 532 Championsgate

is this so much to ask for?

Sorry, I forgot what thread this was...

Edited by JRS1

I know it's a much bigger market but DC and Baltimore are close and they both have teams, Baltimore & Philly aren't that far apart either. Orlando & Tampa both have Arena League teams and that's a hot rivalry.

Even if we don't get a team there are things that go on at the bowl. Big name concerts like the Rolling Stones, neutral site college football games, college football conference championships, maybe the Florida high school football championships. These are just some examples. I don't think we should sell ourselves short of getting an NFL team.

Maybe MLS could find a home in Orlando one day? They could easily use a nice updated arena. If that happened then Orlando would become the dominant team for Florida. HUGE market potential there, that is of course, if someone can step up to the plate when MLS comes looking for expansion cities.

While I would love to see MLS is Orlando, they would never play at the Citrus Bowl.....they want soccer-only stadiums in the 25,000 seat range.....(plus, MLS teams failed in Tampa and Miami....I think it will be a while before Florida is tried again)

not me.

I am all for trains and all, but not in lieu of widening I-4. rush hour traffic--- I was zooming east on I-4 with bumper to bumper traffic-- but it was moving-- until the Lee Rd. exit, which is where the 8th lane cuts off. I would support any tax to get I-4 at least 8 lanes thru the St. John's Bridge to the north and 8 lanes at least to 532 at Championsgate.

THe exit to exit lanes have worked well, but they also represent some true widening as well, from Ivanhoe to Lee, and from Anderson to JYP to the south of DT. THis is what they have to do to get 8 lanes continuous:

1. add w lanes at JYP;

2. redo Kirkman overpass

3. add 2 lanes at Sand Lake Rd.

4. add 2 lanes at 535

5. add 2 lanes at Lee Rd.

6. add 2 lanes at 434

7. add 1 or 2 lanes at 46

8. add 2 lanes at the Bridge

9. widen between 414 and 46

10. widen between Ivanhoe and 408

11. widen between Conroy and Sand Lake WB

12. widen between Sand Lake thru 528 interchange

13. widen from 535 to 532 Championsgate

is this so much to ask for?

Sorry, I forgot what thread this was...

Having a diversified transportation network is a good thing, and we need to have it.....

Of course, this does NOT mean killing needed road projects.....I-4 needs capacity improvements...

In addition, I think the recently released Commuter Rail plan is a joke, and just will lead to more sprawl....

I know it's a much bigger market but DC and Baltimore are close and they both have teams, Baltimore & Philly aren't that far apart either. Orlando & Tampa both have Arena League teams and that's a hot rivalry.

Orlando has got like 2 mil people metro and Tampas got 2.7 mil people metro. Do you think 4.7 million people is a big enough of a number to justify another team?

Even if we don't get a team there are things that go on at the bowl. Big name concerts like the Rolling Stones, neutral site college football games, college football conference championships, maybe the Florida high school football championships. These are just some examples. I don't think we should sell ourselves short of getting an NFL team.

Eh, I dunno here. I'd like to say Orlando would be a shoo in for the NFL, however, 2 Million people doesn't mean 2 Million people to draw fans from. A good majority of the population in Orlando is not from the North American continent and thus could give 2 blinks about football. The NFL did an Orlando demographic study in 1994 and found that the population could support an NFL team, but a good majortity would not be what you'd call your typical NFL football fan.

Add in the fact that the Bucs draw about 7,000+ season tickets from the Orlando area and hold down the TV market and your pretty much hurting to take that share from them...they are in it for the money...

Eh, I dunno here. I'd like to say Orlando would be a shoo in for the NFL, however, 2 Million people doesn't mean 2 Million people to draw fans from. A good majority of the population in Orlando is not from the North American continent and thus could give 2 blinks about football. The NFL did an Orlando demographic study in 1994 and found that the population could support an NFL team, but a good majortity would not be what you'd call your typical NFL football fan.

Add in the fact that the Bucs draw about 7,000+ season tickets from the Orlando area and hold down the TV market and your pretty much hurting to take that share from them...they are in it for the money...

If the Citrus Bowl had been in better shape would could have competed to get some Saints games here last season.

Orlando has got like 2 mil people metro and Tampas got 2.7 mil people metro. Do you think 4.7 million people is a big enough of a number to justify another team?

Combined that's about the size of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex which is the 5th largest metro area in the nation. I would say that there are enough people to fill a stadium. Orlando has a good history with soccer here as well, i.e. World Cup, National Players, etc...

That's just not true.

That's basically what the NFL report says, honestly. The report focuses on the fact that there is a high Puerto Rican and Dominican population and how much of that population hasn't picked up on football (They cite to the high Mexican population in LA not picking up the game). They also point to the fact that a good majority (forget the % at the time) work in the service industry, thus work weekends.

I'll see if I can get the link, it was available on PDF about 2 years ago on a website along with NFL analyysis of Jacksonville, San Antonio, and Nashville. NBA analysis of Louisville, New Orleans (they suggested not to put a team there), and Las Vegas. AN MLB report on Tampa in 1994 (Said baseball would be can't miss there) and several other cities which were considered for expansion in 1997.

Some Documents

Ordinance:

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/eAgenda/arch...interFriendly=1

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/eAgenda/arch...interFriendly=1

The meeting is at 3pm today and will be on Orange TV or on the internet at http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/ORANGEME...otv/default.htm

Please note the vote will be sometime in the 3pm meeting, whether it is at the beginning or the end depends on the time it takes to discuss, etc. There are other issues being brought up i.e. public works, etc. that will have nothing to do with the tax.

That's basically what the NFL report says, honestly. The report focuses on the fact that there is a high Puerto Rican and Dominican population and how much of that population hasn't picked up on football (They cite to the high Mexican population in LA not picking up the game).

Despite the 250,000-odd Puerto Ricans in Orlando, combining that number with the Dominican (or any Caribbean nationality) population still does not come close to achieving majority status. Not to mention the fact that they're all part of the North American continent.

Of course, this does NOT mean killing needed road projects.....I-4 needs capacity improvements...

In addition, I think the recently released Commuter Rail plan is a joke, and just will lead to more sprawl....

Pray tell, what do you think won't lead to more sprawl? Ahh I guess this is the wrong thread, but anyway doing nothing will increase sprawl for sure. Besides, we don't have the money to lay our own tracks so we're stuck with CSX's.