55 West

Tim3167

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I think I just really grasped for the first time how ridiculous this thing will look from behind (from the north?). No wonder we've only seen renderings from the front. Oh well, still worth it.

It's really no different than many of the scrapers lining Michigan Ave. in Chicago. They sacrifice the streetscape behind Michigan with parking decks and the like that support bldgs. fronting it. It's just that here, it will stick out big time. THat being said, they should probably design some sort of ornate facade for the north wall of the garage that fools people into thinking it's not a garage (well, at least for a second anyway).

I hope someone builds something that is, if not incredibly tall, at least sleek in appearance on the site of the former bus terminal between Central and Pine.

Then at least when coming in from the north the visual impact of that big "chunk" will be partially blocked by something graceful looking standing in front of it.

I hope someone builds something that is, if not incredibly tall, at least sleek in appearance on the site of the former bus terminal between Central and Pine.

Then at least when coming in from the north the visual impact of that big "chunk" will be partially blocked by something graceful looking standing in front of it.

It has been looked at.

The RFP should come out soon for the old bus station. The City owns the lot west of it as well.

The plans are for the new fire station with residential above it and retail on the opposite side of the station entrance.

The RFP should come out soon for the old bus station. The City owns the lot west of it as well.

The plans are for the new fire station with residential above it and retail on the opposite side of the station entrance.

Im sorry... a Fire station with residential above it?? ummm who would want to live there? I know the men of Fire Station One are the hottest in town..... but common...

Im sorry... a Fire station with residential above it?? ummm who would want to live there? I know the men of Fire Station One are the hottest in town..... but common...

I would if I could slide down their pole everyday on my way to work

come on a firestation pole is way more badass and fast than stairs or elevators

I would if I could slide down their pole everyday on my way to work

come on a firestation pole is way more badass and fast than stairs or elevators

i'm biting my tongue so hard its bleeding right now.

The design insulates the sound. So it would be no different from living across the street. And it is better then just having a 2 story building which would be a waste of a downtown lot.

Totally (they have these in NYC). Yeah it can be annoying (they better put dual pane or even TRIPLE pane windows in those units) but it's all about space / location. I'm on the fence about living that close to the bus station. I would like it because the bus station would be RIGHT THERE but I kinda dislike it because the people that tend to hang out at the bus station would also be RIGHT THERE.

I know, that's a terrible thing to say... But I ride the bus every now and again and let's just say there are some very unsavory folks that hang out at the central station. Not nearly as bad as, say, the Port Authority in NYC (that place sucks - bad!) but still kinda sketchy...

Totally (they have these in NYC). Yeah it can be annoying (they better put dual pane or even TRIPLE pane windows in those units) but it's all about space / location. I'm on the fence about living that close to the bus station. I would like it because the bus station would be RIGHT THERE but I kinda dislike it because the people that tend to hang out at the bus station would also be RIGHT THERE.

I know, that's a terrible thing to say... But I ride the bus every now and again and let's just say there are some very unsavory folks that hang out at the central station. Not nearly as bad as, say, the Port Authority in NYC (that place sucks - bad!) but still kinda sketchy...

Jack was talking about the OLD bus station that is right behind Church Street Station and 55W.

• 2 weeks later...

Great shot. It gives a great perspective as to the proximiyt of that whole cluster.

Coming east up I-4 this building is huge.

... well, then I owe you all some nasty pix I took from our office on the 12th in PTP where 55W is smack right in your face.

as for I-4, I noticed today that the perspective of DT from I-4 at the JYP overpass--- there is a gap right where 55W is U/C (Vue to the left; Suntrust to the right); it will fill in perfectly once it tops off.

Archived