West End Apartments (15 stories, 305 units, 5,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail, internal garage)

markhollin

• markhollin changed the title to West End Apartments (15 stories, 305 units, 5,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail, internal garage)

Looks like Bombay Palace is going to make it...and for that, I'm grateful. 

Regarding Parthenon Towers - I don't think there's a correlation w/ homeless around the pavilion....which there are fewer of these days at Centennial Park. I believe Metro took a stand (there, at least).

• Like 3

I feel like they should be required by Metro to rework the proposal to include more than enough retail space for a grocery. A Publix or whatever in an urban format would still do very well there given the density of residential in very close proximity, the university, etc. 

Honestly, if Hill is hell bent on not replacing the Piggly Wiggly with another grocery, they deserve nothing in my eyes. The closest true grocery stores are the Kroger on 12th and then Whole Foods on Broadway. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NashRugger said:

I feel like they should be required by Metro to rework the proposal to include more than enough retail space for a grocery. A Publix or whatever in an urban format would still do very well there given the density of residential in very close proximity, the university, etc. 

Honestly, if Hill is hell bent on not replacing the Piggly Wiggly with another grocery, they deserve nothing in my eyes. The closest true grocery stores are the Kroger on 12th and then Whole Foods on Broadway. 

What are you talking about?  While the number of urban groceries is not large, you have arguebly have  missed a number of them modrately close in to downtown.  You failed to mention the Turnip Trucks (though they are not particurly large), the new Publixes on Gallatin Pike and Melrose,  the large Kroger in Melrose and on 21st as well as the old Kroger on Rosa Parks,  in Belle Meade and Charolette.   These are all on busy bus routes.  I think once the area gets cleaned up somewhat more, a large grocery on Dickerson Pike would seem to be a good location for a new one once the East Bank develops more as well as in the East bank itself.  Likewise once the public housing on Lafayette gets replace as over on the East bank, a massive stoe near Traveca would be viable.  The land is cerainly there but the area as it exists now area is JUST NOT SAFE.  Furthermore, profit margins of large scale groceries are small, so it is a no brainer that a grocery of size on West End is not viable due to the value of the land.  The old Piggley Wiggley has hung on for so long only because the old one was already there.  If the economic factors would support grocery stores serving big bucks university housing like Vanderbilt or Belmont, you can be sure there would already be ones in operation.   Make no mistake, I loved the old grocery when I worked on West End at Lowes Vanderbilt, but it was very limited in scope for my needs.

IMO the surge in downtown residential is more slanted to new residents supporting the plethera of restaurants rather than in home food prep.  A large proportion of these new residents not only do not own vehicles.  but their in-house food preparation is fairly minimal compare to traditionally.   The food delivery  services seem to be thriving, just as Uber and Lyft servive non vehicle owning residents.  Affordable land of sufficient acreage on existing arteries just isn't there to build new stores. Times change and a universal habit of in-home dining is almost Jurassic.   Please remember that even Walmart could not make neighborhood markets work and closed them rather rapidly.    Please note that the majority of existing urban supermarkets are located in and serve older neighborhoods protected by some kind of overlay.   The construction of dense multifamily projects near them is just a bonus for the existing stores.  The Urban Core is a differnt kind of beast so far as I see it.  I consider the new Publix in Melrose to be a fair miracle in that it built a parking garage.  Look, even fast foods joints are falling by the wayside....it's a new culture folks.  If West End/ Midtown lost a Jack-in-the- Box, Taco Bell, Checkers and (soon to disappear IMO) Wendey's centennial, White Castle and Qudoba. To a large extent, how are large supermarkets formats still relevant? The trend is to Megastores these days.   Sorry but "requiring by Metro" IMO is a fantasy situation you are proposing.  You can provide retail space, but requiring specfic  tenents is a strech.

Edited by Baronakim
Pontification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The folks that are hurt most by the demise of the Piggly Wiggly would not be helped by the addition of a Publix. I really do not think there are enough rooftops in the area yet to support a Publix at that location. 

The Turnip Truck at the new graduate housing will help out with the Vandy students, however I think that is a risk as their prices are way too high IMO for the typical college campus grocery store.

• Like 4

Here’s a question for those who posted about having someone they know who lives at Parthenon Tower. Do you know if there is any sort of regularly scheduled shuttle service for residents to get to a grocery stores or drug stores? (I’m sure some percentage of the residents there would have limitations due to handicaps.) If a transportation service is available, that certainly minimizes the impact of the loss of Piggly Wiggly.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Vandy students that have to worry about grocery prices are very few and far between.  ; )

I will be there are a number of Belmont students that would have rather had something else there. It was a bad choice and if Vandy had allotted more space they could have gotten an urbanTarget at that location which would have been a much bigger hit.

If you have eve been to Target on White Bridge on move in week you will know what I am talking about as the store is full of Vandy and Belmont students.

The Kroger on 21st is not that far away and the Turnip Truck will never put them out of business with their prices. Do you do most of your shopping at TT, Mark? 

I know if I were down there, I would still be a savvy shopper and avoid the high end groceries and not be paying 8 buck for a jar of peanut butter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 5:28 AM, gannman said:

Turnip Truck is opening a 23,500 sq ft grocery store in the new Vanderbilt graduate housing complex.

That's why I said a "true" grocery store because I love Turnip Truck dearly, they're not really geared more towards the typical format and product offerings say versus Publix or Piggly Wiggly. 

I believe there are more than enough residents within at least 4 square miles to have a Publix work. A lot of folks can't and won't afford Turnip Truck or Whole Foods, and the nearest comparable stores to Piggly Wiggly (Kroger) are well over a mile away in any direction. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Here’s a question for those who posted about having someone they know who lives at Parthenon Tower. Do you know if there is any sort of regularly scheduled shuttle service for residents to get to a grocery stores or drug stores? (I’m sure some percentage of the residents there would have limitations due to handicaps.) If a transportation service is available, that certainly minimizes the impact of the loss of Piggly Wiggly.

I don't know anyone who lived or lives there.  I will say that when I lived in the area I observed be vans that would pick up people who lived there and took them to various places.  I also knew someone who worked with a non-profit social services organization that picked up people there to take them to nearby grocery stores, doctor appointments, etc.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...