Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

3 hours ago, DMann said:

TIAA would look nice on top of that tower!!!!!

From the bizjournal -

"As part of TIAA’s planned sale of TIAA Bank, we are retaining the trust business, which will be conducted as an OCC-chartered trust bank," a TIAA spokesperson told CBJ by email. "That business will be headquartered in Charlotte. We do not expect any material change in staffing levels in Charlotte to occur as a result."

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 6:17 AM, tarhoosier said:

plus two towers rather than three due to water table, which relates, in reality, to geological bedrock level.

Since three towers have weight distributed among them independently., how does the water table prohibit a third?  Anyway, there sure is a lot of bedrock there, unless they've discovered old gold mine digs.

4 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Since three towers have weight distributed among them independently., how does the water table prohibit a third?  Anyway, there sure is a lot of bedrock there, unless they've discovered old gold mine digs.

Someone asked for information from the Observer article about the project. Another person provided some of that article information. I added another sentence from the article about the high water table as the additional information. Apparently the bedrock prohibits the water from seeping lower and thus construction costs and engineering limit the addition of more buildings. The geology of that area is rock. For example when 277 was constructed the excavation required a great deal of blasting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Someone asked for information from the Observer article about the project. Another person provided some of that article information. I added another sentence from the article about the high water table as the additional information. Apparently the bedrock prohibits the water from seeping lower and thus construction costs and engineering limit the addition of more buildings. The geology of that area is rock. For example when 277 was constructed the excavation required a great deal of blasting.

I'm not completely satisfied with this explanation by the article you quoted.  I have had plenty of geology courses and understand groundwater issues.  I still don't understand what having a sturdy bedrock of granite has to do with groundwater supposedly keeping them from building a third.  One reason Manhattan is able to have so many skyscrapers is because it has a sturdy bedrock of granite too. Talk about groundwater. Manhattan is at sea level.  I think it's something else.  I'd love to interview one of their engineers about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ABCW said:

@KJHburg did they say that it would be 596' at the groundbreaking today? Not that I don't believe you but 596' just seems extremely tall for 45 floors of residential. 

they did not mention the height I got that figure from previously reported stories.  

45 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Please tell me that the Carson at Tryon groundbreaking is imminent.  I can't stand seeing that Enterprise there amidst that sea of surface blacktop.  I also low-key loathe the back of the Broadstone Queen City.   I find it interesting that these towers will now occupy the former site of the Midnight Diner, and the Midnight Diner has now moved to the very core of Uptown across from our basketball arena, and yet it has a grassy lawn in the front and surface parking in the side and rear.

stay tuned. 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, atlrvr said:

Separately, here's what probably a lot of people on here wanted to know.  From the approved plans....

image.png.d19f5a29e7f6895877c7e069217ac2e8.png

@KJHburg Unless something has changed I don't think that the residential is supposed to even break 500'. Everything I've seen/heard thus far has put the height around the upper 400's. I just don't know how the height could jump from 476' to 596' without an increase to the floor count. Of course I hope I am wrong and either way this is still a great development.

• Like 2

Yeah, residential floor plates of high rise buildings are shorter than office floor plates so 476 feet definitely sounds more accurate than 596 feet. Either way, it’s still a beautiful high rise and overall project for Charlotte. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous. Lol. I will try to get some drone shots of the site this weekend also if the rain holds off. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

It’s also noticeable how some of the heights of the first ten floors are significantly larger than most of the residential. Plus the parapet  There is no way this building is less than 500 feet. I would assume it’s not quite as tall as The Vue, but close. 

• Like 4