500 2nd Ave. South, 39 story residential; 29 story hotel; 32 story residential on full 3.4 acre block (Cumulus Radio site)

smeagolsfree

7 hours ago, nashville born said:

Can you imagine if that barren lot at the corner of Hermitage and Lea developed even at 16-20 stories.  CL would be all but surrounded.

Come out with your hands up!

If memory serves me right, MDHA is suggesting that lot be developed with a tower of 30+ stories. Can someone in the know comment on this? 

• Like 1

EDIT: My bad, wrong parcel.  The Hermitage and Lea site is limited to 65' at the street and then can grow taller as it steps back from the street. While technically there is not a traditional "max height", there comes a point that the footprint of the building when factoring this control becomes unusable.

image.png.7a57f5215d349ab95cfc9b6ece62d19f.png

On 8/12/2022 at 7:29 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I would have to go back and look but I think the max there is 12 but may only be 8.

This parcel actually falls into the SoBro subdistrict. General subdistrict with a base zoning of 30 floors and unlimited bonus height. It is in the T6 Downtown Neighborhood Community Plan (same as 2nd and Peabody and 500 2nd Ave), but due to the DTC already granting the building height a future development should not need as many hurdles as the major projects just south of Peabody.

image.png.23d7f843a21535c2307c2b5ed06213d2.png

MDHA is probably going to want a PRETTY PENNY (justifiably) for either buying for ground leasing this parcel!

Edited by Bos2Nash
my bad, wrong parcel!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

EDIT: My bad, wrong parcel.  The Hermitage and Lea site is limited to 65' at the street and then can grow taller as it steps back from the street. While technically there is not a traditional "max height", there comes a point that the footprint of the building when factoring this control becomes unusable.

image.png.7a57f5215d349ab95cfc9b6ece62d19f.png

This parcel actually falls into the SoBro subdistrict. General subdistrict with a base zoning of 30 floors and unlimited bonus height. It is in the T6 Downtown Neighborhood Community Plan (same as 2nd and Peabody and 500 2nd Ave), but due to the DTC already granting the building height a future development should not need as many hurdles as the major projects just south of Peabody.

image.png.23d7f843a21535c2307c2b5ed06213d2.png

MDHA is probably going to want a PRETTY PENNY (justifiably) for either buying for ground leasing this parcel!

What are your thoughts on all of Nashville height restrictions in the inner loop?  Are most of them head-scratchers…or do you feel they have merit?  From the outside looking in, most of them seem arbitrary to me…but maybe there’s a good reason?

Yep, I’m thinking I was a bit confused myself. I was thinking Nashville Born was talking about that MDHA lot on the corner. But anyway any of those properties along Hermitage get developed, even at the allowable heights will block out views for City Lights. So the three musketeers, better have a whole lot of money to fight off the inevitable development that eventually will come. They most likely will be surrounded by as tall or taller buildings as theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Confusion on my part. I thought we were talking about the parcels where the Shell station is and up Hermitage. The MDHA lot is 30!

No, you were correct.  I wasn't referring to the Hermitage/KVB lot.  You guys have always said that one was zoned for 30 stories.  I was referring to this one.

image.thumb.png.76276ebb360e2d7c848e9ad3b29280ce.png

41 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Yep, I’m thinking I was a bit confused myself. I was thinking Nashville Born was talking about that MDHA lot on the corner. But anyway any of those properties along Hermitage get developed, even at the allowable heights will block out views for City Lights. So the three musketeers, better have a whole lot of money to fight off the inevitable development that eventually will come. They most likely will be surrounded by as tall or taller buildings as theirs.

And if this one developed, CL would be just about tapped out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nashville born said:

No, you were correct.  I wasn't referring to the Hermitage/KVB lot.  You guys have always said that one was zoned for 30 stories.  I was referring to this one.

OH, THAT ONE!!! Yeah that would be the topping on the cake, Completely surrounded .

Question is, if they have so much money to keep paying legal fees, then why not just move? They have got to know , development is coming and sooner or later they will be surrounded by other buildings 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Armacing said:

Dude, true happiness comes from learning to enjoy buildings that are out of context! :D 

Now let's build a 700-footer at the intersection of Rosa Parks and Jefferson street!!

That will really drive the neighbors crazy especially since they killed a 10-story building.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

This projects SP is up for a consent vote Thursday at the Planning meeting. Even if the CL folks sue this bunch too, there is a flaw with their law suit I just thought about.

They were suing originally saying that Planning did not have the authority to do what they did when they did it. If both of these SP's get through planning, they have to go through Council and a full vote. If the full council votes on both of these the grounds for the original lawsuit will be null and void because the entire council will have voted and will most likely pass it as it will become LAW.

They will have zero if any recourse.

What odds you give this project Smeags? Seems like the delay and increase in rates could put it at risk?

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

DT Resident alerted me to a development in the lawsuit yesterday. Checked it out and this is what we found out......Checked on this. Dismissed in part and allowed to continue in part. But the judge basically said you can't sue until Council approves/denies the SP zoning so there's no point in litigating this right now. 

Again, with that being said their whole premise of the first lawsuit was not being passed by the entire council. They can't decide what they want, so I think the whole thing will eventually be thrown out. The lawyer seems to be a nummynut. I was wondering why he was so quick to sue myself on the SP as it had not even passed. They are suffering defeat after defeat. Best case scenario is a delaying tactic is all they are doing at this point in time. These developers are not walking away as they have a lot of skin in the game already.

Just think about these guys - a few folks who have only lived downtown for a few years using absurd lawsuits to hold up a collective billion plus in some of the highest end development Nashville has ever scene both with huge public parks so that they can protect their views. It is infuriating.

• Like 4