Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

I’m not sure who you mean by Tree executive team. I was only acclaiming the work of our operational staff. 

“as are the folks in Landscape Management looking after trees in public right of way and deciding what species should be planted where and how far apart and under power lines, etc, and not the City Manager or the Council. “

This is objectively false. Landscape Management is an operational division, I’ve tried to make this point on this site before, maybe to you even. No one in that division or even its department has any control over policy. That is a fact, I’m not sure why you think otherwise. You may be mixing them up with the Urban Forestry group within Planning lead by Tim. Also yes, council works like a board overseeing the work of city staff. And for the policy work that does get done within departments you have to understand that staff are developing solutions that work within a given budget, and then those solutions are watered down by stakeholders (developers) and politicians. I assure you the policy which you find underwhelming is not where staff begin. 

You seem to have walked into this discussion ready to point fingers and blame someone, all I’m doing is telling you who to not point at. I am really glad to hear you stay involved and again, I wish more people were like you in that sense, thank you.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

I’m not sure who you mean by Tree executive team. I was only acclaiming the work of our operational staff. 

“as are the folks in Landscape Management looking after trees in public right of way and deciding what species should be planted where and how far apart and under power lines, etc, and not the City Manager or the Council. “

This is objectively false. Landscape Management is an operational division, I’ve tried to make this point on this site before, maybe to you even. No one in that division or even its department has any control over policy. That is a fact, I’m not sure why you think otherwise. You may be mixing them up with the Urban Forestry group within Planning lead by Tim. Also yes, council works like a board overseeing the work of city staff. And for the policy work that does get done within departments you have to understand that staff are developing solutions that work within a given budget, and then those solutions are watered down by stakeholders (developers) and politicians. I assure you the policy which you find underwhelming is not where staff begin. 

You seem to have walked into this discussion ready to point fingers and blame someone, all I’m doing is telling you who to not point at. I am really glad to hear you stay involved and again, I wish more people were like you in that sense, thank you.

The fact is that Landscape Management is given a measure of interpretive and species selection discretion in a number of areas.  I have correspondence with Laurie Reid to prove it. At the very least, landscape mgmt in combo with urban forestry input is solicited.   But yes, I know Laurie is focused on public right of way inventory, and Tim's group looks after private development protection and mitigation.  And yes, I called his group out in an earlier post saying that he is a key input into policy crafting and certainly policy enforcement and I only hope and pray that Tim is not conflicted.  Honestly, I'm done with this.  It's Saturday night, I'm out, and as much as I care about canopy protection and preservation, I actually don't care that much.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

I still haven’t seen a complaint from you that has anything to do with what that group actually does. All policies have to be interpreted and have some wiggle room but I don’t see you complaining about the implementation just the policy itself. 

You came here to complain about trees being removed and then tried to connect that to some dramatic theme of the city having lost its way in the 5 years you’ve been here, and I just wanted to explain what the reasoning likely was for that decision. I only meant to dispute your notion that the city somehow doesn’t care about trees as much anymore with some context for why a lot of trees are removed. I mean there’s literally a new development that kept its old street trees in the same frame of the photo you are complaining about. I probably shouldn’t have then commented on land use policy as that isn’t my area of expertise, but I’m not sure how this evolved into some kind of blame game. Let’s not villainize our public servants. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curious - not trying to ‘Rain on anyone’s Parade’ but where is the Parking for Phase I of the Pearl?  I know There’s a mad rush to get the building(s) finished for the Fall Semester 2024 Class but haven’t yet seen parking 🅿️ arrangements…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Curious - not trying to ‘Rain on anyone’s Parade’ but where is the Parking for Phase I of the Pearl?  I know There’s a mad rush to get the building(s) finished for the Fall Semester 2024 Class but haven’t yet seen parking 🅿️ arrangements…

I believe there is a parking deck that is adjacent to 277.

23 hours ago, CLT Development said:

image.png.b30818185b6eab4d7167344804859023.png

In this shot by @gman430 You can see where one of the two parking decks will be for this first phase (fire wall is the height scale it'll be). I believe both will be precast, hence them not starting yet. The other parking deck will be in the pink circle below. I am not 100% whether this will be precast or not, but it also might be the base of a building, Its sorta hard to piece this project together. 

image.thumb.png.8d8fa2ea9400e73356f528a76dcc5406.png

In the second picture, upper left where the text "Auto Service Repair Centers" is, is that being built on now also? The imagery appears to show some type of excavation work.

I believe that property was the former Wray, Ward advertising building, né Wray, Ward, Lassiter, which moved to Thrift Road in the area between Freedom and Tuckaseegee. Woodie's is extant. The original Woodie was owner of an Exxon station-service center, old style car repair and gas station located beyond the Trader Joe at Metropolitan.