Pearl District - Atrium/Wake Forest School of Medicine

Desert Power

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 2:22 PM, MothBeast said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e6735a8c6baf383e4ed62bfa17c99882.jpeg

Looks to be screened from this rendering but a rendering is a rendering, final product could always change.

edit: whoops, answer to an question in a different thread

Edited by MothBeast

On 2/19/2024 at 9:38 PM, KJHburg said:

I would doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon.  they are extremely expensive to relocate and where would you move it to? 

There at least was a line item on the CDOT budget for a bridge at Euclid Avenue one day across 277, I would imagine this would require removing this substation.

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know what those two large Rectangular covered ‘boxes’ are around the Pearl (seen from I-277)?  I think it maybe two billboards or something…

nope, there is no permits filed either

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know what those two large Rectangular covered ‘boxes’ are around the Pearl (seen from I-277)?  I think it maybe two billboards or something…

I could be completely wrong, but I think they are moving the giant powerline towards 277(the power lines are currently over Baxter street.). I saw they built new electrical towers and under those giant white cubes they are doing electrical work on those towers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, go_vertical said:

What could be the reasoning for doing this?  Is it possible this is being done to free up land for another construction project?

Might be to create more distance between the existing residential building and the power line. I would imagine that would be good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Yea I was thinking to make sure it doesn't go through the heart of The Pearl

Yes. I wonder if they'll eventually move the other ones near Wake Forest Medical School closer to the interstate.

The existing power transfer station seen in the left side of the aerial photo was from about 1989-1990 (iirc). The company then known as Duke Power wanted a new supply for the growing area of CBD Charlotte and environs. The original plan was the station to be placed in Dilworth at a location I cannot recall and possibly where the current station is between Scott and Kenilworth close to the Park Rd merge. The thought of tall pylon wire carriers across the neighborhood brought out the many vocal Dilworth residents who had not had a worthy protest for years. Memories flooded back and we saw protest signs, tie-die clothing, chants, arm waving and other efforts, including all those on Tryon Street near the Square. Television stations were there and a Dilworth load of lawyers (which was many lawyers) assisted the effort. Duke reconsidered and located the facility where we see it today. I was out of the country at the time or would have participated.

Edited by videtur quam contuor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...