Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

7 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I believe this is actually perforated metal. I will try to go over at lunch and get a closer picture. Some colleagues showed me an image a couple weeks ago and mentioned they saw it as perforations instead of etching. Perforating the metal with the image probably provided a more maintenance free approach to the mural rather than having to worry about the quality of the etching.

That's exactly what it is.  I walked by there awhile ago although I wasn't able to get a clear photo.  The cladding actually looks pretty good, it's the sad attempt at doing something artistic that went wrong.  What they really should have done is created a space for a few real artists to paint something interesting or inspirational.  We have great artwork on the sides of buildings all over town and this would have been a great place for it because it's so big!  Unfortunately it looks like they're about done with the cladding on both sides of the building and it's probably too late to change it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here are a couple photos of the panels from my lunch walk yesterday. As @MontanaGuy confirmed, they are perforated. Honestly, I don't mind it as much as folks do. While it is certainly not ideal, it is at least trying to make an effort. Also, it is kinda unique as I have not really seen this kind of perforated art in the city. 

IMG_6707.thumb.JPEG.566dba4043e4a2b089d22d1aa19272d9.JPEG

IMG_6709.thumb.JPEG.87ea569aa810853830bb7f3f72763e9c.JPEG

Let's be honest, would we rather the left or right of this picture??

IMG_6708.thumb.JPEG.7dd8842504b8c0191bd774feaf0db729.JPEG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ATT is not going to build an operations building that stands out.  It could be because they're cheap but most likely because of the equipment and functionality of that equipment inside the building.  They want it to be as nondescript as possible.   Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't even have a sign on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As "bad buildings" go, this actually might be OK in some respects. I still want to see it 1. finished; 2. up close and personal; and 3. lit at night (as I think it might be) before I make my final assessment.

One key improvement (and I would hope most agree). The maroon metal skin previously used was a glaringly bad example of how "trendy colors" on large buildings can be bad. Bright and bold (and even trendy) colors can look fantastic on the diminutive painted ladies of San Francisco. But such colors should not be used on large buildings. The pink-glass tower in South End in Charlotte is a prime example of a garish building. This silver building — though bland — will always look slightly industrial (and even a bit sleek). 

The modernist brick building located to the right renders the silver-metal-clad AT&T building as handsome as the Customs House.  That brick building needs, at the least, a paint job. 

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Speaking of appetizin' (or not!) did Guy Fieri's chicken place close down?

Permanently closed

Chicken Guy!

Chicken restaurant

Address: 139 2nd Ave N, Nashville, TN 37201

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chris holman said:

Does anyone know if the  damaged part of the rebuild will have the new updated building included?

66918de4-203d-4ab3-9cfb-2f9c8e365317-First_Avenue_Facade_Sketch.jpeg

That is the magic question I asked last week! I am unsure if those owners have the resources to do what they need to do to get the job done.

• Like 2

That’s a shame if true, it’s a solid proposal. 
would be a great upgrade to 2nd Avenue, like the walkway between the buildings. Is it at all possible that the current owners, sell their stake in this and let a developer with the necessary resources proceed with the project plans? Perhaps a C A South or GBT type 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, bnacincy said:

I'm not sure how pleasant outdoor dining is going to be  when a bunch of inebriated Woo Girls followed close behind by their equally inebriated male tag alongs start making their rounds on 2nd Ave.

Just doesn't seem appetizin'. 

I LOVE outdoor dining.  One of my favorite things to do when I'm in Rome or Paris.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I LOVE outdoor dining.  One of my favorite things to do when I'm in Rome or Paris.

I do too. I like to dine outdoors wearing a sweater tied over my back.

Edited by Argo