Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

It looks like a WWII bombed out downtown or a 60s riot downtown. What are they going to do, let the buildings sit there for 3, 5, 7 years, a decade, or decades before allowing any work to be done.

Edited by Argo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Argo said:

It looks like a WWII bombed out downtown or a 60s riot downtown. What are they going to do, let the buildings sit there for 3, 5, 7 years, a decade, decades before allowing any work to be on.

They have with the surface parking lot just up the hill across Church.  How many decades has it been since that block burned?

• Like 1

Unfortunately IMO I think your point is correct. 
the constraints placed upon the rebuilding of these structures, put any hope of action in the near future in a unprobable scenario. The cost to restore to as original as possible, as the historical folks are pressing for makes it an unrealistic expectation as the ROI would just not warrant it. A more significant increase in allowable sq footage I.e more floors , would help offset cost. I’m not suggesting a 30 story building, but a similar concept to the Printers alley project would be acceptable. Retain and rebuild the facade to as close to original and utilize materials to blend  any new construction into the fabric of the surrounding neighborhood and there might be some potential, otherwise it may look the same as today 30 years from now.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

It looks like a WWII bombed out downtown or a 60s riot downtown. What are they going to do, let the buildings sit there for 3, 5, 7 years, a decade, decades before allowing any work to be on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

They have with the surface parking lot just up the hill across Church.  How many decades has it been since that block burned?

Yeah, you’re right, but I think that it is foolish for people to continue to hold the position that that particular property can only be rebuilt with low rise Victorian style development. That’s a prime example of the mindset of many individuals of holding onto the old Nashville and dwelling in its past. It’s time to embrace the future and except the new opportunities unfolding for future generations. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

That happened in 1985 when I was working for BWSC downtown.....almost 40 years ago!

It would be nice if someone like the Ingrams or some other family of means would step in and rebuild that block-along with the bombed out buildings- exactly as they were.

There is no reason not to (some European cities did the same thing after WW2) and it would greatly enhance 2nd Avenues'

rebirth-more than the current renovation work, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, FrankNash said:

^^^That lot is owned by Old Town Trolley Tour Company.

Yeah, I know that. I’m asking how long everyone feels it will take for them to sell the property and a new Honky Tonk takes its place. Money talks and it’s just a matter of time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Surly they plan on replacing that sidewalk corner on the Church Street side?  What a mess that is, they don’t even connect 

If I had to take a guess, I would think the whole intersection would get a refresh to better align with the entire 2nd Ave corridor.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

If I had to take a guess, I would think the whole intersection would get a refresh to better align with the entire 2nd Ave corridor.

Thats my thought process also, but nothing seems to amaze me with how many times I’ve seen Metro value engineer the crap out of something to the point of absurdity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...