Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

know anything about it...or what it is?   Looks like just another tunnel for water.

Methinks we're gonna get a lot more of this during the excavation, particularly given how deep the hole needs to be to support such a large complex.

I'm curious - because I honestly can't remember whether or not similar discoveries were made when 1.) CoStar's current building (former Westvaco building) was constructed, or -- even more so - 45 years ago when the Federal Reserve building was built. I clearly remember the Fed building being constructed - but my cobwebbed brain isn't remembering anything about archeological finds on the site. The site of the Virginia Manufactory of Arms - which was commissioned by the General Assembly in 1798 and built in the first few years of the 1800s, was more-or-less located on at least part of the Fed site (perhaps also the previously-called Westvaco site). After the Manufactory was severely damaged (destroyed?) in the Civil War, what was left was razed and buried in 1900.

Either way, the discovery of these old artifacts is cool, but I am very grateful that construction isn't being halted for the "typical" over-reactive investigation by archeologists/historians or, worse, draconian calls by preservationists to completely stop the development and/or to alter it in such a fashion to place priority on the finds over the new CoStar complex. Relieved that we aren't going down THAT ridiculous rabbit hole.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

know anything about it...or what it is?   Looks like just another tunnel for water.

lol - sorry I meant the new amphitheater! Somewhere around there (maybe near where Costar is going to display some of that first brick structure they uncovered?) It would be cool to have a table-top model of what that whole area used to look like. Im not sure from the picture whether the amphitheater plans would incorporate parts of the old ruins as a feature along the back  (north) of the field - would be great if they could somehow fit that into the design (but in any case am more excited about the amphitheater)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rooster said:

lol - sorry I meant the new amphitheater! Somewhere around there (maybe near where Costar is going to display some of that first brick structure they uncovered?) It would be cool to have a table-top model of what that whole area used to look like. Im not sure from the picture whether the amphitheater plans would incorporate parts of the old ruins as a feature along the back  (north) of the field - would be great if they could somehow fit that into the design (but in any case am more excited about the amphitheater)

A table model would be SWEET!! 👍

I'm sure someone could perhaps be commissioned to research the buildings that were originally there and then put something together to scale. It's a great idea, @Rooster - and I'd love to see that as part of CoStar's tribute to the site. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Pretty cool!

Somehow - I think we may have missed the RT-D story that's linked to this article. The story ran just three weeks ago.

Check it out here:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/costar-group-plans-big-growth-in-richmond-to-add-2-000-more-jobs/article_aa0fd9e8-f0c6-11ed-a586-c7816a2688ff.html

Also - we have another rendering of the CoStar tower/campus - taken from the RT-D article. Haven't seen this specific rendering before.

645e441ee3ec4.image.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Pretty cool!

Somehow - I think we may have missed the RT-D story that's linked to this article. The story ran just three weeks ago.

Check it out here:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/costar-group-plans-big-growth-in-richmond-to-add-2-000-more-jobs/article_aa0fd9e8-f0c6-11ed-a586-c7816a2688ff.html

Also - we have another rendering of the CoStar tower/campus - taken from the RT-D article. Haven't seen this specific rendering before.

645e441ee3ec4.image.jpg

I do love the new CoStar building but I am a bit sad that it will block so much of the rest of the RVA skyline from the Western and south angle. 

Something about that *future* CoStar gap allows the city to feel "filled in" from the western and southern sides. I'm sure it will be fine but just a few pennies for my thoughts.  Another reason why that Dominion empty lot needs to be something very dense and tall!

I know, I know, poor Dominion will be shadowed. How will they ever recover. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Notice how small the (very large in person) trucks look in that hole.

costar.JPG

That's a HUGE dump truck and it looks like a little Matchbox truck in that ginormous hole. Wow - even the crawler crane - which is not small by any measure - is dwarfed by the size and -- particularly - the depth of the hole. It's one of the deepest construction holes I can remember seeing (at least as far as Richmond goes).

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

There is definitely some caisson digging going on. Those tubes being loaded off the truck are likely to be used for caisson building.  So, to me it looks like we are still a few weeks out before we see a tower crane (at the very least…it kind of depends on how many caissons this tower will need, how many they’ve already done, and how long it will take for the construction crews build the remaining caissons and get them set).  

I’m no construction guru or subject matter expert. I’m just going off of what I’ve seen in the past with other towers built in Richmond. 

• Thanks 1