Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

(A) That's a cool find, even if it lacks real historical significance. (B) Sure, haul it away and keep digging. (C) But if they kept it and incorporated it in the design, would they get historic tax credits?

Edit: Referring to the culvert; didn't realize the conversation had moved on.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

(A) That's a cool find, even if it lacks real historical significance. (B) Sure, haul it away and keep digging. (C) But if they kept it and incorporated it in the design, would they get historic tax credits?

Edit: Referring to the culvert; didn't realize the conversation had moved on.

Agreed - VERY cool find, particularly since so much of it was intact.

It probably would cost more in terms of re-design, construction changes, etc., than any tax credits would be worth, not to mention what surely would be an excessive and undue delay in construction. Also, there's the issue of heavy-metal contaminated soil (and the structure itself was no doubt equally contaminated - stuff like lead, arsenic, etc.) - which is not surprising given the location adjacent to a foundry and an arms manufactory. Complete removal of the structure and the surrounding earth I'd think mitigates any potential exposure to anything hazardous once the new buildings are constructed. Extra steps would have to be taken were this ancient feature included in the CoStar complex.

What's interesting, though, is the more I research this - plus what Coupe mentioned - the more I think it could be argued that there might be some potential historical significance IF, in fact, it actually was part of the conduit system (for water, etc.) between the Tredegar Foundry and the Virginia Manufactory of Arms (which was commissioned by the General Assembly in 1798 and -- I THINK -- was located either where the Federal Reserve building is now or where the original CoStar/Westvaco building is, but was razed and buried in the early 1900s).

Even with all of that - I shudder to think how much extra cost would be involved attempting to preserve it - not to mention the fact that it's simply in the way. I'm glad this isn't a speedbump that could delay construction. This campus needs to be built. The benefits of having it far and away outweigh any preservation considerations.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I’m happy for some height but IMO what’s going on with the smaller building is more exciting (and it’s more attractive, not that the tower portion is unattractive in any way).   I really, really like this part.

If the renderings that adorn the construction fence are to be believed, there’s a lot of public space that should bring more life to the canal.  There are like 2-4 restaurant spaces and some retail too.  The retail and restaurant spaces line the 5th street side too (not pictured above).  Looks  like the lawn area will be open to the public.  I hope this is true. 

image.jpeg.c34448fadc5f38fb4b070603768ccaac.jpeg agreed about the smaller building, @Brent114!! (What are the CoStar and/or developer call it? I seem to recall seeing the term "pavilion" used to describe it. Either way, what you and Coupe are saying about how this could positively impact the canal area is spot on. And I think that's what struck me about the rendering showing the pavilion building and the entire lower plaza between it and the current CoStar building - with the new tower in the background. If the rendering proves accurate - and this entire campus becomes a beehive of activity with restaurants and retail, this could be a game-changer for the canal, particularly if in the next year or so Tom Papa moves forward with the two residential buildings he's planning farther east (Locks 7 & 8). Both projects could serve as strong anchors for the canal, injecting some much-needed life into that part of the riverfront.

• Like 3

I love what CoStar did here. No wonder they chose RVA, this land is so perfect for them.

One thing that makes me sad with these "campus" types is that it really does coccoon CoStar and CoStar employees to themselves up against the river. I work near James Center and it's nice to rub shoulders with other people from completely different industries during lunch. I eat lunch at CoStar a lot and it's definitely CoStar employees everywhere and only them... definitely feels like nobody is invited b/c 1) no outsiders can get it (duh) and 2) outsiders are far away across the bridged highway system. Feels like a trek just to get there from James Center honestly.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I love what CoStar did here. No wonder they chose RVA, this land is so perfect for them.

One thing that makes me sad with these "campus" types is that it really does coccoon CoStar and CoStar employees to themselves up against the river. I work near James Center and it's nice to rub shoulders with other people from completely different industries during lunch. I eat lunch at CoStar a lot and it's definitely CoStar employees everywhere and only them... definitely feels like nobody is invited b/c 1) no outsiders can get it (duh) and 2) outsiders are far away across the bridged highway system. Feels like a trek just to get there from James Center honestly.

The trench that is the Downtown Expressway really does cut off riverfront places (like CoStar) from the rest of downtown, if nothing else psychologically because it "feels" like a barrier. I wonder if "reconnecting" a section with a covering (similar to what's been discussed with Jackson Ward/Gilpin - maybe just west of Kanawa Plaza would help? Also - I imagine crossing 9th Street is a bit of a trick, too, particularly if you're crossing anywhere south of Cary Street because of how it (9th) serves as both the "off-ramp" (not sure what else to call it) and the approach to the Manchester Bridge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

The trench that is the Downtown Expressway really does cut off riverfront places (like CoStar) from the rest of downtown, if nothing else psychologically because it "feels" like a barrier. I wonder if "reconnecting" a section with a covering (similar to what's been discussed with Jackson Ward/Gilpin - maybe just west of Kanawa Plaza would help? Also - I imagine crossing 9th Street is a bit of a trick, too, particularly if you're crossing anywhere south of Cary Street because of how it (9th) serves as both the "off-ramp" (not sure what else to call it) and the approach to the Manchester Bridge.

Having walked the area countless times during lunch, I'd certainly agree the Downtown Expressway feels like a barrier. Also, Canal Street is rather uninviting for pedestrians to cross, especially given Dominion's poor stewardship of the area surrounding its demolished building, and neither pedestrian approach to the CoStar area (7th Stree and 5th Street) is all that inspiring, either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

Having walked the area countless times during lunch, I'd certainly agree the Downtown Expressway feels like a barrier. Also, Canal Street is rather uninviting for pedestrians to cross, especially given Dominion's poor stewardship of the area surrounding its demolished building, and neither pedestrian approach to the CoStar area (7th Stree and 5th Street) is all that inspiring, either.

Agreed about Canal Street - it's never been pedestrian friendly. The westbound onramp at the base of hill at 7th Street makes that stretch of Canal between 9th (even 10th) and 7th seem like the front straightaway of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Has the "new" street configuration (because of Gateway Plaza) squaring off 8th Street and making Canal two-way there for traffic getting on the Manchester Bridge made that stretch better or worse?

I was just browsing their website last night to see if there was any further news on this project. Then, I woke up to this article!  Perfect timing!  This is great news and good to see. This will be HUGE for downtown and the quality of life for people all over the area and beyond!  Love it - break ground tomorrow, will ya?!  This summer isn’t too long to wait to see dirt move.  Let’s go!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I was just browsing their website last night to see if there was any further news on this project. Then, I woke up to this article!  Perfect timing!  This is great news and good to see. This will be HUGE for downtown and the quality of life for people all over the area and beyond!  Love it - break ground tomorrow, will ya?!  This summer isn’t too long to wait to see dirt move.  Let’s go!

I'm with you, brother - would love to see 'em get this thing up and rolling. HOWWWWWWWWWWWWEVER...it has to be approved first by City Council. No shovels in the ground until the city says "GO!"

• Like 1