The Coronavirus thread

33 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

@urbanlover568      In a democracy, minority and disfavored points of view are valuable insofar as they test consensus or favored points of view within the democratic "marketplace of ideas."   It is hornbook law and an axiomatic principle of democracratic societies that competing, and even disfavored, views must be permitted scope for expression in the public square (i.e., the Internet) rather than censored.  It seems to me that you wish to censor the views of those UP members with whom you strongly disagree on the Coronavirus thread.   It is irrelevant whether or not I agree with @gman430 views,  as set forth hereinabove.   What I oppose is the efforts of some on this forum to censor disfavored, or minority, points of view which, in their judgment, are unacceptable. 

In a famous Supreme Court case, Abrams v. United States, 250 U.S. 616, 40. S. Ct. 17 , 19 U.S. LEXIS 1784 (1917), Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes dissented from a majority ruling that upheld the prosecution of an anarchist for his anti-war views under the Espionage Act of 1917.  Justice   Holmes stated: 

“But when men have realized that time has upset many fighting faiths, they may come to believe even more than they believe the very foundations of their own conduct that the ultimate good desired is better reached by free trade in ideas — that the best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market, and that truth is the only ground upon which their wishes safely can be carried out.”   

The marketplace of ideas, as a theory of free expression, has been invoked hundreds of times by the Supreme Court to oppose censorship and to encourage freedom of thought and expression.  Especially in the teeth of a national public health emergency (i.e., COVID-19), it is essential that freedom of speech not be abridged in the benighted effort to muzzle disfavored points of view.

@QCxpat  

Nobody's censoring anyone. You liked some of his posts so I asked you about it. Saying COVID19 is less lethal than the Flu is dangerous and causes unintentional deaths and this callous behavior goes against everything the CDC is advocating. I would trust  what Dr. Brix and Dr. Fauci currently have to say than Gman and dale as they are experts. 

Also, the United States of America is a REPUBLIC not a democracy. Please understand the difference. 

Edited by urbanlover568
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, QCxpat said:
In a democracy, minority and disfavored points of view are valuable insofar as they test consensus or favored points of view within the democratic "marketplace of ideas."

So people are still conflating points of view with baseless, disingenuous, bad faith ramblings. That’s unfortunate. And your defense of such posts is an indictment of your own intellectual failings.

Edited by TCLT
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

@urbanlover568      In a democracy, minority and disfavored points of view are valuable insofar as they test consensus or favored points of view within the democratic "marketplace of ideas."   It is hornbook law and an axiomatic principle of democracratic societies that competing, and even disfavored, views must be permitted scope for expression in the public square (i.e., the Internet) rather than censored.  It seems to me that you wish to censor the views of those UP members with whom you strongly disagree on the Coronavirus thread.   It is irrelevant whether or not I agree with @gman430 views,  as set forth hereinabove.   What I oppose is the efforts of some on this forum to censor disfavored, or minority, points of view which, in their judgment, are unacceptable. 

In a famous Supreme Court case, Abrams v. United States, 250 U.S. 616, 40. S. Ct. 17 , 19 U.S. LEXIS 1784 (1917), Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes dissented from a majority ruling that upheld the prosecution of an anarchist for his anti-war views under the Espionage Act of 1917.  Justice   Holmes stated: 

“But when men have realized that time has upset many fighting faiths, they may come to believe even more than they believe the very foundations of their own conduct that the ultimate good desired is better reached by free trade in ideas — that the best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market, and that truth is the only ground upon which their wishes safely can be carried out.”   

The marketplace of ideas, as a theory of free expression, has been invoked hundreds of times by the Supreme Court to oppose censorship and to encourage freedom of thought and expression.  Especially in the teeth of a national public health emergency (i.e., COVID-19), it is essential that freedom of speech not be abridged in the benighted effort to muzzle disfavored points of view.

@QCxpat  

@QCxpat I don't have a legal background as you possibly may. But isn't there is a reason you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater without repercussions?

I'm also strongly in favor of having people express their perspectives especially in a forum like this. But there is a common sense limit.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Screw it, I’ve reported you.  You’ve brought this up 100s of times, and we’ve provided scientific evidence explaining how this is not the same.  At this point you are just trolling and add nothing of use to this forum anymore outside of spreading falsehoods that endanger people’s lives.  You aren’t providing a “different prospective” , you are just being obtuse.  Someone else can take nice photos for us to look at.  

I was simply was just giving an example of a contagious deadly virus  to that forum member seeing how the traffic accidents and heart disease aren’t ones. No reason to freak out and report me over that. 

Edited by gman430

Wow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/trey-hollingsworth-coronavirus/index.html?utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-04-15T02%3A01%3A09

An Indiana congressman said Tuesday that letting more Americans die from the novel coronavirus is the "lesser of two evils" compared with the economy cratering due to social distancing measures.

Edited by gman430
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I guess it’s a good thing I got direct deposit. You can always use the check as toilet paper if you get one in the mail. :D I’m gonna invite you, Urbanlover, that guy who tried to get me banned, and Dale out for a beer when this is all over with. 

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 1

The Hill: UN head responds to Trump: 'Not the time' to reduce funds for WHO | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/policy/international/492857-un-head-responds-to-trump-not-the-time-to-reduce-funds-for-who

Oh boy you think this will be the reason the UN invades the USA. LOL. I should write a 4 week book and self publish on amazon ASAP. Cover the back and front dustcover with Trump tweets to get to my core audience. Be nice to get something positive out of him and his really core nutty followers who actually read books. Hey maybe I could get bill Reilly to write a blurb on how realistic it is? Limbaugh?

Edited by elrodvt

Current data do not support the use of hydroxychloroquine for prophylaxis or treatment of COVID-19. There are no published trials of prophylaxis. Two trials of hydroxychloroquine treatment that are in the public domain, one non-peer reviewed, are premature analyses of trials whose conduct in both cases diverged from the published skeleton protocols registered on clinical trial sites. Neither they, nor three other negative trials that have since appeared, support the view that hydroxychloroquine is effective in the management of even mild COVID-19 disease.

image.png.cea2727be2a5b510af32786d2459adbd.png

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-what-do-the-clinical-trials-tell-us/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Testing appears to be moving in the wrong direction.

the American Clinical Laboratory Association reported that the number of samples commercial labs handle each day fell from 108,000 on April 5 to 75,000 by April 12. The group’s members, including commercial giants Quest and LabCorp, analyze about two-thirds of all coronavirus tests in the U.S.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/14/coronavirus-testing-delays-186883

At this point this has got to be either an intentional political strategy or gross incompetence (or both). Either way, lots of people are going to die because of this, and those deaths could have been easily avoided. Based on what we have seen in other nations, testing is not complicated.

Fix the testing problem! The only way out of this requires  many millions of tests.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3