Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

• 5 months later...

This plan has been tweaked a bit from the previous submissions. Looks like the residential portion on the roof has been brought down a bit. Going before the city for another step in the incentive/rehabilitation process. Doesn't say when they're going to start.

15408493244_ffee37292c_o.jpg

15843496220_656d3e8e0b_o.jpg

16030746975_4458de7161_o.jpg

15411113393_617eedb1e3_o.jpg

Page 171

http://grcity.us/city-clerk/CityCommission/121614epsec.pdf

16030746975_4458de7161_o.jpg

Probably not important but what are those square things on the front lawn of the house on James?  I don't recall seeing them when I drove by the other day.  Maybe that's where they're going to store the trash I was so worried about last spring but as far as I know the house isn't owned by 619 Wealthy LLC.

Edited by walker

I like how they did the entrance for the apartments, but why restrict the usable space on the roof to just one small area?

Anyway, I hope they get a move on with this! It's long past time!

Probably to minimize how much could be seen from Wealthy Street. Historic district.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new design.  Caught this little tidbit from GRBJ:

McClurg said the 4,000-square-foot building has sat vacant since 2011 and was purchased — along with an “in-bad-shape” house at 616 Wealthy St. SE — for $325,000 in 2013 by McClurg and his bakery co-partner, David LaGrand, through their bakery.

I didn't know the house across the street at 616 Wealthy was bought up too.  I wonder what plans are in store there?  That'd be a great corner for new retail & apartments.

Edited by RegalTDP

I like the new design.  Caught this little tidbit from GRBJ:

I didn't know the house across the street at 616 Wealthy was bought up too.  I wonder what plans are in store there?  That'd be a great corner for new retail & apartments.

That IS interesting. That's quite a bit of space there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9556655,-85.6532993,3a,75y,167.15h,82.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqAnuwiqn0Tq7hVjhSAJ14A!2e0

I knew the house was part of the package. I look at it every time I drive by hoping they'll either convert the house to retail/office or give it some love and restore it. I doubt the house can/will come down to make way for new development.

Also noticed that the building next to the Winchester is for sale. I remember the historic district giving the guy grief about renovations. Wonder if someone will buy it and restore it to the original look. That building used to be two (or maybe 3) stories but after a fire gutted it, they only kept the first story.

Joe

I knew the house was part of the package. I look at it every time I drive by hoping they'll either convert the house to retail/office or give it some love and restore it. I doubt the house can/will come down to make way for new development.

Also noticed that the building next to the Winchester is for sale. I remember the historic district giving the guy grief about renovations. Wonder if someone will buy it and restore it to the original look. That building used to be two (or maybe 3) stories but after a fire gutted it, they only kept the first story.

Joe

It's kinda like this corner Joe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9595558,-85.6477963,3a,75y,171.34h,79.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srprpJ6ply1mx7R_78Oukvg!2e0

Although on the Wealthy St property you could probably sneak a small building in on the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

1034 Wealthy St is on the market, and apparently it's rumored that they have gotten multiple offers already.

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/29681132/1034-Wealthy-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

Technically 3 buildings.

Wow! This one is going to be something great!

While not exactly the same as the other buildings on Wealthy with seal-up fronts, it was always a bit of a shame that the owners never uncovered the windows at least to improve the street view.

This is going to be bought within a month.

I think it was a grocery decades ago. Maybe it can be again? :whistling:

I think it was a grocery decades ago. Maybe it can be again? :whistling:

I thought it was too.  But I just found this old photo on the internet of it as Berger Chevrolet:

http://www.bergerchevy.com/berger-history.html

and it says it was a blacksmith shop before then.  Maybe it was a grocery after Berger moved down into Eastown where the post office is now. 

Edited by walker

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was too.  But I just found this old photo on the internet of it as Berger Chevrolet:

http://www.bergerchevy.com/berger-history.html

and it says it was a blacksmith shop before then.  Maybe it was a grocery after Berger moved down into Eastown where the post office is now. 

It has housed all those businesses. I'll see if I can find a photo of the grocery store.

Walked by it today and there is a SOLD sticker on it.

From one local business to another.

• 2 weeks later...

2yl6vip.jpg

Call me crazy, but what I really love about these old photos like this are the fantastic, enormous signs.  I think it would be an interesting experiment if they could amend the zoning ordinance to facilitate these sort of building-mounted vertical signs again.  It sure helped make the city a more interesting place. 

• Like 2

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/02/gray_line_brewing_grand_rapids.html#incart_river

The GR Market announcement probably overshadowed this yesterday, but this is good news in its own right.

This brewery will be a great addition to the GR brewery culture. The brew master has an impressive resume, from Founders/Perrin. 

I'd be shocked if they don't get the approval for this site.

Edited by jdkacz

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/02/gray_line_brewing_grand_rapids.html#incart_river

The GR Market announcement probably overshadowed this yesterday, but this is good news in its own right.

This brewery will be a great addition to the GR brewery culture. The brew master has an impressive resume, from Founders/Perrin. 

I'd be shocked if they don't get the approval for this site.

In the article the brewers said if they weren't approved for this site, they would continue to look else where.  Is it true there is a AA meeting place a block away?  Does that have any bearing?  

In the article the brewers said if they weren't approved for this site, they would continue to look else where.  Is it true there is a AA meeting place a block away?  Does that have any bearing?  

I didn't know about the AA. (If they want to be on the SE side, I'd love to see them closer to my house)

• Like 1

1034 Wealthy St is on the market, and apparently it's rumored that they have gotten multiple offers already.

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/29681132/1034-Wealthy-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

Technically 3 buildings.

16091262238_422f301e26_c.jpg

Atomic Object bought this property, from what I hear. Think it may end up mixed-use.

Doesn't surprise me. Atomic is bursting at the seams, and has been reevaluating their space needs. They also love Wealthy St, and are proud of the role they've had in the business district's revitalization. I'd be surprised to see it go mixed-use, though—given their growth trajectory, I'd think they'd want to keep their options open to be able to utilize the whole building (like they have with their current building, which was mixed-use at times over the years before they bought it).

• 3 weeks later...