Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, terra firma said:

We try pretty hard to keep things positive and are always excited about growth in our market, whether its "us" or the other guy.     We are big fans of the Wealthy St. retail market area and we celebrate the many successes of our Tenants as most of them are absolutely thriving and having a good experience.

This reporter contacted me earlier this week and was trying to create a story about rents being too high, driving businesses away.      Some of the numbers quoted here are erroneous by nearly double what is actually paid, and I cautioned her not to proceed with her "story line"--- she did it anyhow.     Please do not believe everything you read here.    We have zero vacancy at the moment, which tells a much different story than suggested by this poorly written article.     The business owner moved out of state,  didnt renew the Lease, and left a family member to run things until the Lease expired.  End of story.

My apologies for bringing negative energy here, I felt it important to set the record straight.    A good example of a reporter trying to put an exclamation point where one need not exist, under bad pretenses and without an obvious "goal" that could be construed as a  positive for the deep effort so many of us in this community are trying so very hard to create.  Wealthy Street retailers are succeeding, and the high occupancy levels demonstrate this.     Sorry to whine but this crap needs to be set straight.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/retail/florist-to-leave-wealthy-street-storefront-search-for-new-location/

It's called writing the article before doing the research. Sounds like she had a narrative that she was trying to push and didn't want facts to get in the way. Glad to hear there is so much demand for Wealthy street, as an area I frequently walk to, it is great to have so many thriving businesses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Over at Wealthy and Lafyette and Prospect, major clear-cutting is taking place at the site for the future "Townhomes of Heritage Hill infill Project".

20230801_091637.thumb.jpg.9d77494cf45215e70e049cb3f8133863.jpg

20230801_091639.thumb.jpg.bec9c1a577631631fe3e7af7a2608522.jpg

And you can really see just how massive some Heritage Hill homes are when there is nothing blocking the view!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

I don't know if I missed it, is there something going in that corner?

There will be from what I've heard

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Wow, that's impressive! I thought billboards were like forever chemicals. :) Last forever, less than ideal. :)

Joe

GR offers "Billboard credits" to the sign companies if they remove signs in the city.  They can use the credits to upgrade signs on the highway, like make them bigger or digital.  It's a great idea really and has removed quite a few signs.  Otherwise, you're right, I think a lot of them have like 50-100 leases or agreements.  Good Riddance. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

There will be from what I've heard

GR offers "Billboard credits" to the sign companies if they remove signs in the city.  They can use the credits to upgrade signs on the highway, like make them bigger or digital.  It's a great idea really and has removed quite a few signs.  Otherwise, you're right, I think a lot of them have like 50-100 leases or agreements.  Good Riddance. 

What have you heard? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

From earlier today. Looks like the big house move is going to take place soon.

20230825_090538.thumb.jpg.2783a69604cd0d1cc9c7f20d9457546a.jpg

20230825_090542.thumb.jpg.c8142ac1aac688dcd3a4620e2159f65e.jpg

I will never understand the logistics needed to move a house this old and unwieldy even a foot. These old places always feel like they are held together with wishes and luck!

It's being moved on Thursday, Aug. 31st.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/historic-heritage-hill-home-moving-to-new-foundation-to-make-way-for-townhomes/

• Like 1

They were actively moving the house today. It was off the foundation and all the way up to the next street. The logistics of turning it around and getting it set on the new lot looks very complicated. 

Also a photo of the old foundation. Wonder if they'll be saving the granite(?) blocks and reusing them for the porch area on the new lot?

6894A367-727D-4C82-91FC-65528D16AA86.JPG

C68558D7-8CF2-4CC5-9AA2-A844B827E0E0.JPG

CDBA76D3-BB32-4242-8D0E-E7B1E1414F4A.JPG

• Like 3

Article and video from WOODTV about the move:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/heritage-hill-home-moved-to-make-room-for-housing-complex/

they also have a quote about the new construction on site:

”Following the move today, we’ll begin our site infrastructure work, which will take a few months yet. The vertical construction will follow after that. So you really won’t start seeing noticeable construction out of the ground until sometime later this winter”

Joe

On 8/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, joeDowntown said:

It is an amazing feat. And from what I’ve heard, they remain in good shape through the move. Can’t imagine how they reconnect the electric without receding all of it. Brittle old wires in those walls!

can’t wait to swing by and see it. I love watching buildings being moved. 😀

These guys did an amazing job figuring all this out, really a big upgrade for this block with their plans !   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some new renderings of Mary Free Bed's new children's rehabilitation hacility. Not quite as cool as the original concepts, but I love the skywalk and hope they don't value engineer the arch out of it. :) Also, will be named after Joan Secchia:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/new-kids-rehab-hospital-named-after-secchias-wife/

NOT-SIZED-Joan-Secchia-Childrens-Rehabilitation-Hospital-conceptual-photo-102323.webp

Joan-Secchia-Childrens-Rehabilitation-Hospital-conceptual-photo-102323.webp

• Like 1