Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

It's real. You have to look really hard because the site is so cluttered but i saw the piece sitting on a flat bed truck towards the back of the site.

It is truly an amazing site driving down Monticello ave. toward downtown and seeing all the construction cranes in the air! Sometimes it's hard to believe that this is the same sleepy city that 10 years ago seemed to be going in reverse while cities such as Charlotte were in the fast lane going 120 miles per hour!

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is truly an amazing site driving down Monticello ave. toward downtown and seeing all the construction cranes in the air! Sometimes it's hard to believe that this is the same sleepy city that 10 years ago seemed to be going in reverse while cities such as Charlotte were in the fast lane going 120 miles per hour!

I would of stayed in Hampton Roads if they had a good school for architecture there. All this new developments kick ass and would of been cool to watch go up.

It's very hard to see but that black piece of tower crane is now securely fastened in place on the 388 Bousch side of the HH lot. I don't even know how they fit the thing in there. :lol: I'm thinking with the 70 degree weather that's forecasted for this weekend we might see some movement on getting that crane up by the end of the week.

I don't quite understand why construction is going so slowly. I mean, all other contruction sites in the area are buzzing along like bee hives. Anyone know whats going on??????? :unsure:

I think the square footage of this building is what is taking so long. The base of this building takes up two city blocks. Mayor Fraim said when complete, this building will be one of downtown's largest buildings, as in square footage.

Looks like the 2nd crane for HH is on its way up. Just passed by there not too long ago and they have 2 more sections of yellow tower crane sitting on top of one another. You really gotta get in between 388 Boush and Hh to see it right now but it's definately on the rise.

Wow, it doesn't appear that much has changed from last week, although the new tower crane probably has a part in that. Thanks for all the pics again rus!! :D

Things have changed but its hard to get shots of it. I would have to actually get in the construction site. I'm taking these from the car

Things have changed but its hard to get shots of it. I would have to actually get in the construction site. I'm taking these from the car

Yeah I understand and i'm really glad you do take pics rus! Especially for this project because there is no webcam/regular picture taker like for Trader yet. :thumbsup:

Given the dimensions of this behemoth, two cranes makes sense. It's too bad it isn't more vertical than designed, given the name Harbor Heights. Should maybe be renamed Harbor Seawall, but it's going to be a very attractive building, especially from the Boush Street side. I just don't know how it will appear from the East or North. The Cosmopolitan in Town Center is really at it's weakest from the East side. I hope it doesn't look much like that.

Given the dimensions of this behemoth, two cranes makes sense. It's too bad it isn't more vertical than designed, given the name Harbor Heights. Should maybe be renamed Harbor Seawall, but it's going to be a very attractive building, especially from the Boush Street side. I just don't know how it will appear from the East or North. The Cosmopolitan in Town Center is really at it's weakest from the East side. I hope it doesn't look much like that.

Yeah I agree but one thing that HH has going for it that the Cosmopolitan doesn't is it's very dense location. This building should work well with its surrounding environment and the buildings around it will compliment it.

HH will be spectacular at ground level, but if you are approaching downtown from the interstate you may not notice it.

I always kinda viewed this as a density only filler project, though it will be visible on the skyline. At 190ft it'll be taller than Royster by some 30ft and due too its position in the skyline it will definately be noticeable.

I hope so. Is there a rendering of this building with the new height?

The rendering on the website is fairly close, it's only 1 floor short of actual. The Hilton at the oceanfront is about the same height (I think the total quoted was 180ft or 9ft per floor) to give you a feel for this.

The rendering on the website is fairly close, it's only 1 floor short of actual. The Hilton at the oceanfront is about the same height (I think the total quoted was 180ft or 9ft per floor) to give you a feel for this.

That is taller than I expected.

Archived